would like some opinions on my renders

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
They are pretty good, my only opinion is the light is too direct, move it one side so you get a slight shadowed affect across the faces, makes them look more 3d.

obsessionau

Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Looks good but I would think more about the direction of the lighting.

I am not familiar with DAZ lighting but most DAZ developers on here appear to follow the Rembrandt method of lighting for their key light which I would definitely do for the bottom photo as she is in the corner of the room with a window to her right. The left side of her face would be in shadow?

Light sources I would think about: Light in ceiling (perhaps use loop lighting as this still has a lot of shape) and light is coming from the window.
For a fill light, you just need enough to meet the ambience of the environment.

For the first image you have done butterfly lighting which is great for portrait photography and lifts her from the background, but it doesn't evoke a natural feeling which is possibly what you will want in a VN.

Last edited:

RavioliRave

Jan 1, 2019
Oh my god.. I was honestly expecting to be low key bashed and stuff. Thanks for the confidence boost guys :)
Yeah my lighting could use some work. I generally i use a ceiling ghost light/a ghost light infront and 2 spot lights angled down from the side.

I'll look into fill lights. I feel like the window light is not supposed to reach the bed area simply due to the angle though. meanwhile the ceiling light is in the middle of the room so the left side of her face would be lit up in this case. Which also means i messed up since the shirt should be abit more lit up. Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks for the advice!

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It is almost perfect, the only thing I would look on improving is lighting.
Bed sheets and walls lack texture, therefore they kind of blend together... With a second look at it, it seems like almost all background elements lack texture, that makes the posters (way more detailed) stand out. Might be the style you are looking for, but then I'd suggest you to have a different color for bed sheets (even a slighty different blue).

-edit-
Of course some post processing would also improve the overall quality of the render.

RavioliRave

Jan 1, 2019
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah i'm planning to change the wallpaper on the room. It was one of the first things i worked on when i picked up Daz so the quality isn't great.
Any recommendations as to what could be improved post proccessing? The 2nd image has already gone through denoising and downscalling.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Yeah i'm planning to change the wallpaper on the room. It was one of the first things i worked on when i picked up Daz so the quality isn't great.
Any recommendations as to what could be improved post proccessing? The 2nd image has already gone through denoising and downscalling.
Oh, by post processing I meant additional effects... Vignette, bloom, color grading, and so on.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Renders are definitely good enough for a VN, there are really successful VN's out there that look worse.
I'd switch to a different denoizer, or don't use it at all, it's the first thing I noticed, it's especially visible on the walls.
And regarding post: just don't go overboard, it's better to not do post instead of doing too much. Personally I only do little "repairs" in post (clipping, artefacts, etc.), nothing else.

RavioliRave

Jan 1, 2019
Renders are definitely good enough for a VN, there are really successful VN's out there that look worse.
I'd switch to a different denoizer, or don't use it at all, it's the first thing I noticed, it's especially visible on the walls.
And regarding post: just don't go overboard, it's better to not do post instead of doing too much. Personally I only do little "repairs" in post (clipping, artefacts, etc.), nothing else.
i'm not quite sure what you mean? Does the walls look blurred? Or did you mean the window?

And yeah i get that the room is hideous lmao.

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
Hi, I think that you need to make one light stronger. In the two renders above the principal light should be coming from the window. A bit of post process can't hurt tho. Keep up the good work !

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
i'm not quite sure what you mean? Does the walls look blurred? Or did you mean the window?
1616591095533.png
I mean these artefacts or "stairs", not sure if you can see it, it's the same if you compress a jpg too heavy, but in this case it's the result of denoizer.

RavioliRave

Jan 1, 2019
ahh
I mean these artefacts or "stairs", not sure if you can see it, it's the same if you compress a jpg too heavy, but in this case it's the result of denoizer.
ahh i see it now. the wall seems like it has different shades of blue. Is this better? This one is not denoise but i can see that the lines steill exist albeit fainter. And theres also a bit of grain present march 23 trial 3 ultra 1k down.png

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
ahh i see it now. the wall seems like it has different shades of blue. Is this better? This one is not denoise but i can see that the lines steill exist albeit fainter. And theres also a bit of grain present View attachment 1102439
Looks a lot better imo, even with the little grain, the render has a lot more structure as well/looks less washed out.

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
I wanted to copy your work to see how I would do it myself and got a bit carried away, I hope this can give you pointers :

This is the setup I used, 2 SpotLight, 1 PointLight and an hdri. I used canvas for each light and did some photoshop.

DnaDaz.png

This is the final result :

12dnaFFF.png

And Without post just raw render :

12dnanoFFF.png

I hope it will help you, it was really fun to do !

RavioliRave

Jan 1, 2019
I wanted to copy your work to see how I would do it myself and got a bit carried away, I hope this can give you pointers :

This is the setup I used, 2 SpotLight, 1 PointLight and an hdri. I used canvas for each light and did some photoshop.

I hope it will help you, it was really fun to do !
Is hdri better than the usual 3 point lighting?

KlodowWW

Mar 18, 2019
For me they complement each other. But only if you can use and hdri, in a closed room it's almost of no use except if you want to show something quickly in a window.