• What! These are my favorite type

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I see no difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
The problem
I wanna start making VNs but I have really low end laptop and the rendering times are very long. it takes way too long to make high quality renders and it would take ages make a decent game. it took me an hour and a half to render a pretty empty scene with one character in it, very discouraging.

Technical version
Daz I-Ray renders take a long time on my crap laptop however, filament(pbr) renders almost instantly,

High quality render. The one I can't make because of hardware limitation
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Low quality render, The one I can afford to make but doesnt look as good
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Conclusion
Would you play a game with those low quality filament renders? cause I dont know if people would find them appealing, tell me what you think

Soniram

Creating EC:A
Game Developer
Apr 16, 2021
Work with what you have. Renders aren't the end-all be-all of developing. Sure, they help, but perfect 4K renders don't mean squat with bad grammar, bad story, and bad functionality.

I would play a game with low quality renders. I've supported games that have low quality renders, simply because their stories and other aspects (content, etc.) meet with my approval.

You want to start making VNs, but your current situation means you need to use low quality renders. Go with it, make a small but strong game to learn how to make VNs, how to pose models, how to use shading, how to write a story that grips the player... and with some money saved up, then you can start thinking about a higher end computer/GPU to make the next game better visually.

Xandyr44

Dec 4, 2017
The render looks alright but it does feel lacking. Would need a really good story.

Have you thought about HS/2 or Koikatsu/S as a medium for your game? They dont need really beefy computers to make good screenshots and a ton of games use them.

• Red Heart
Reactions: BadThingsHere
Apr 21, 2019
For the HQ render it's indeed way too noisy, you can't even denoise it without losing lots of details, and also doesn't look as it should look (the lighting looks overexposed/way too bright). For the LQ part it looks... all right I guess? I say this because even with bad graphics, some games can thrive, a lot of people won't like it but a good portion will still play it, something is better than nothing and could introuduce potential funding/supporters depending on how good the other parts are (Stylish & polished menus, game design, quality story and good grammer). There's legit a game that is made with The Sims 4 that is decently supported for what it is, so Yes.

Just a tip, make sure to improve and design around that render engine, it looks like with a bit of tweaking it could be made a lot better (like every render engine).

• Red Heart

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
While I agree that contrary to many comments seen in various threads graphics quality isn't a dealbreaker for as long as other things compensate for it, I would rather just let the renders render until they're ready. And if the time used rendering becomes your limiting factor (highly doubt it!), cut down on the number of renders rather than quality of one render. VNs used to have like 5 renders in a 5h story when they made the genre boom.

It was kinda even better because more time was used to select the exact right situation to portray because you only created a handful of images.

On a similar note, comics use far better judgement on which key situations to show, and cut all the unnecessary filler. and as a result of less images they tell the story BETTER not worse. I think we should all aim towards that rather than try to please some random guy online who rips the cgs, counts them, and makes decisions on the story based on how many pointless renders an update had.

If you're forced to render less, make every image tell a story. Remove all the irrelevant and secondary situations. A single image can tell who a character is, what the world is, what he's feeling, where he's coming from, and what's he gonna do with his own and other people's lives. a whole life story.

or, you can waste it showing a hand opening the door out of your room every morning, which no one should ever be forced to suffer.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart

voronkov

Aug 27, 2018
Качество не главное, но жанр визуальная новелла даже в название говорит о том что картинка должна быть привлекательной. Я тоже из за невозможности создавать в ДАЗ более менее что то делаю это в HoneySelect 2. Там довольно быстро возможно сделать то что задумал в игре, но как уже сказал с ДАЗ это не сравниться. Хотя некоторые игры сделаны почти полностью на тексте, если будет интересно то картинка не важна, тем более потом можно будет сделать её лучше.

Quality is not the main thing, but the visual novel genre, even in the name, says that the picture should be attractive. I, too, due to the inability to create in DAZ, more or less do it in HoneySelect 2. It is quite quickly possible to do what I have in mind in the game, but as I already said, this cannot be compared with DAZ. Although some games are made almost entirely on text, if it is interesting, the picture is not important, especially since then it will be possible to make it better.

• Red Heart

MrSancini

Feb 18, 2018
Graphics isn't a dealbreaker in a game, as for example, bad writing and unnecessary padding (like the famous "waking up every morning" or "opening the door").

Of course, sometimes, horrendous graphics can be a dealbreaker, but this situations are more an exception than a rule to me.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Honestly I'm a fan of the second, wish more devs used them as they would render faster and it also decreases the uncanny valley from DAZ.

Makes it look more like a normal 3D game instead, like house party.

• Red Heart

zuulan

Oct 12, 2020
Low-quality graphics are tolerable, but sometimes no graphic is better than BS graphic. And game that has HD graphic but no gameplay or shit story is far worse than low quality graphics or no graphic game.

• Red Heart

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
Work with what you have. Renders aren't the end-all be-all of developing. Sure, they help, but perfect 4K renders don't mean squat with bad grammar, bad story, and bad functionality.

I would play a game with low quality renders. I've supported games that have low quality renders, simply because their stories and other aspects (content, etc.) meet with my approval.

You want to start making VNs, but your current situation means you need to use low quality renders. Go with it, make a small but strong game to learn how to make VNs, how to pose models, how to use shading, how to write a story that grips the player... and with some money saved up, then you can start thinking about a higher end computer/GPU to make the next game better visually.
thanks man, just what I needed to hear. and it's true, I've played some hq games with awful writing, not a good experience

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
The render looks alright but it does feel lacking. Would need a really good story.

Have you thought about HS/2 or Koikatsu/S as a medium for your game? They dont need really beefy computers to make good screenshots and a ton of games use them.
I have but I feel like they're quite limiting in terms of character creation and environments, but idk much about them so maybe they're better than daz. they make solid animations though because they're animations are pre-made, they can't go wrong that's what I like about them

Xandyr44

Dec 4, 2017
I have but I feel like they're quite limiting in terms of character creation and environments, but idk much about them so maybe they're better than daz. they make solid animations though because they're animations are pre-made, they can't go wrong that's what I like about them
You can pretty much make any character you want in those games. Sites like can really show you what people can do. Not to mention the mods and studio gives you a lot of options for map creation.

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
For the HQ render it's indeed way too noisy, you can't even denoise it without losing lots of details, and also doesn't look as it should look (the lighting looks overexposed/way too bright). For the LQ part it looks... all right I guess? I say this because even with bad graphics, some games can thrive, a lot of people won't like it but a good portion will still play it, something is better than nothing and could introuduce potential funding/supporters depending on how good the other parts are (Stylish & polished menus, game design, quality story and good grammer). There's legit a game that is made with The Sims 4 that is decently supported for what it is, so Yes.

Just a tip, make sure to improve and design around that render engine, it looks like with a bit of tweaking it could be made a lot better (like every render engine).
Thanks mate, yeah building a small fanbase with some support is the plan right now untill I can get some good equipment

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
While I agree that contrary to many comments seen in various threads graphics quality isn't a dealbreaker for as long as other things compensate on it, I would rather just let the renders render until they're ready. And if the time used rendering becomes your limiting factor (highly doubt it!), cut down on the number of renders rather than quality of one render. VNs used to have like 5 renders in a 5h story when they made the genre boom.

It was kinda even better because more time was used to select the exact right situation to portray because you only created a handful of images.

On a similar note, comics use far better judgement on which key situations to show, and cut all the unnecessary filler. and as a result of less images they tell the story BETTER not worse. I think we should all aim towards that rather than try to please some random guy online who rips the cgs, counts them, and makes decisions on the story based on how many pointless renders an update had.

If you're forced to render less, make every image tell a story. Remove all the irrelevant and secondary situations. A single image can tell who a character is, what the world is, what he's feeling, where he's coming from, and what's he gonna do with his own and other people's lives. a whole life story.

or, you can waste it showing a hand opening the door out of your room every morning, which no one should ever be forced to suffer.
yeah sometimes less is better and helps to focus on making less pictures that tell compelling stories instead of thousands of meaningless renders. and I can't count how many times I've seen a developer announce they have "5800 renders in the next update!" and it turns out to as lifeless as a cinder block

Reactions: woody554

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
Качество не главное, но жанр визуальная новелла даже в название говорит о том что картинка должна быть привлекательной. Я тоже из за невозможности создавать в ДАЗ более менее что то делаю это в HoneySelect 2. Там довольно быстро возможно сделать то что задумал в игре, но как уже сказал с ДАЗ это не сравниться. Хотя некоторые игры сделаны почти полностью на тексте, если будет интересно то картинка не важна, тем более потом можно будет сделать её лучше.

Quality is not the main thing, but the visual novel genre, even in the name, says that the picture should be attractive. I, too, due to the inability to create in DAZ, more or less do it in HoneySelect 2. It is quite quickly possible to do what I have in mind in the game, but as I already said, this cannot be compared with DAZ. Although some games are made almost entirely on text, if it is interesting, the picture is not important, especially since then it will be possible to make it better.
True I've played some really good text only games and I've considered using Honey Select 2 but I find it limiting

Правда, я играл в несколько действительно хороших текстовых игр и рассматривал возможность использования Honey Select 2, но я считаю, что это ограничивает
(I google translated this, I try to learn Russian in my spare time though, it's a beautiful sounding language)

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
Graphics isn't a dealbreaker in a game, as for example, bad writing and unnecessary padding (like the famous "waking up every morning" or "opening the door").

Of course, sometimes, horrendous graphics can be a dealbreaker, but this situations are more an exception than a rule to me.
True, poor structure is a definite dealbreaker, far worse that low quality graphics

BadThingsHere

Mar 15, 2021
Honestly I'm a fan of the second, wish more devs used them as they would render faster and it also decreases the uncanny valley from DAZ.

Makes it look more like a normal 3D game instead, like house party.
yeah Daz games give some awful uncanny valley sometimes, it gets nightmarish sometimes