WTF am I doing wrong? Bizarre G8 expressions

Jul 11, 2017
So, I've been familiarizing myself with a lot of different assets lately, and today I've been exploring Lickalicious and expressions. As you can see, something very strange is happening.

I did a bit of troubleshooting to see if I could figure out what was causing this. I checked to make sure no poses or morphs were loading with the default G8, as I've had such an issue with the male version before. But that didn't appear to be happening here. I tested expressions and poses with and without lickalicious loaded. I tested out different expression poses from multiple sources, including stuff from Daz store, renderosity, and renderotica, and there was wonkiness from many different assets having to do with facial expressions. So I decided I'd try reinstalling all the basic G8 assets--starter essentials, head/body morphs, and expressions. I think that has helped remedy some issues I was seeing with certain assets, but many still seemed to be too extreme, odd, or altogether broken.

Body posing seems to work fairly well, or at least I haven't noticed any issues. But facial posing and expressions, especially with assets from renderotica, are producing these kinds of bizarre extremes as seen in the attachment. They're nothing close to what they're supposed to resemble. With or without lickalicious, with or without limits off, the facial expression is totally fubar and I'm not really sure what's causing it, or how to correct these assets.

For reference, the most problematic ones seem to be from Thunder-3D poses/expressions from renderotica. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ZerenDevi

May 29, 2019
I see this alot. Sometimes it looks fine in render even if the viewport image is fucked. To fix it, i usually only have to tweak the mouth open settings and maybe some other mouth related dials. No idea if there's some better fix, so i'll just see if anyone knows more than me

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Thunder-3D expressions are stupid at the best of times, but you are better off looking in the poses/face/expression tab and finding the dials and just adding a little bit.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
if nothing helps, it could be that some morph auto applies, might be something mouth related. Means that if you do anything, any pose/expression that moves the mouth, the morph in question triggers (auto-follows). I had such morphs that interfered with other morphs and had to deinstall them, that solved the problem for me.

Jul 11, 2017
Thunder-3D expressions are stupid at the best of times, but you are better off looking in the poses/face/expression tab and finding the dials and just adding a little bit.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing in the meantime, and it isn't too much of a hassle. Only a little less convenient than having a one-click preset to turn to. I guess the only real inconvenience is with Lickalicious, as it doesn't seem to have many dials to morph and pose it, and seems to want you to adjust all the individual pieces to get the poses you want for it, which seems like it'll be a rather tedious process. I'm wondering if it's even worth using it now, as it seems like the default G8 tongue would be more efficient.

if nothing helps, it could be that some morph auto applies, might be something mouth related. Means that if you do anything, any pose/expression that moves the mouth, the morph in question triggers (auto-follows). I had such morphs that interfered with other morphs and had to deinstall them, that solved the problem for me.
I'm suspect it's probably something like this--I have a lot of morphs and dials installed. But I guess I just don't understand why they'd be conflicting if they're not being activated or given a value--if they're all zero'd out. And I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to hunt down the culprit, to be quite honest. I had hoped reinstalling G8 base assets would have done the trick, but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem with some of these renderotica expressions.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, that's what I've been doing in the meantime, and it isn't too much of a hassle. Only a little less convenient than having a one-click preset to turn to. I guess the only real inconvenience is with Lickalicious, as it doesn't seem to have many dials to morph and pose it, and seems to want you to adjust all the individual pieces to get the poses you want for it, which seems like it'll be a rather tedious process. I'm wondering if it's even worth using it now, as it seems like the default G8 tongue would be more efficient.

I'm suspect it's probably something like this--I have a lot of morphs and dials installed. But I guess I just don't understand why they'd be conflicting if they're not being activated or given a value--if they're all zero'd out. And I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to hunt down the culprit, to be quite honest. I had hoped reinstalling G8 base assets would have done the trick, but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem with some of these renderotica expressions.
What happens if you turn limits off? (edit -> figure -> limits -> off)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Looking at it, don't think facial preset is the problem. As recreation said, mostly an active zero'ed morph. Now as to hunt down the culprit... You can take a look at what is loaded with your g8f char on property hierarchy pane under parameter, it's a bit more readable than the parameter tab. But if you got shit ton of morph installed not sure it gonna help a lot...

There is maybe better solution, but I think the fastest is to install by NSware (morph-manager tab), and uninstall any morphs that is not Vanilla (do not blindly uninstall everything) and reinstall bit by bit to find the culprit. Software does not delete anything, just moves morphs from one folder to another. On deactivate tab choose "female" folder.

7qa7F9Y1Sc.png

Last edited:

TheTypist

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2017
This might sound dumb, but have you tried clicking on the characters head, pressing ctrl+e, then applying the morph just to be sure that you didn't have any subtle morphs placed already that were effecting the model

Jul 11, 2017
This might sound dumb, but have you tried clicking on the characters head, pressing ctrl+e, then applying the morph just to be sure that you didn't have any subtle morphs placed already that were effecting the model
I haven't done that specifically, but I do make a habit of checking the "currently active" tab after every freshly loaded character, and I did that while troubleshooting this issue as well.

TheTypist

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2017
I haven't done that specifically, but I do make a habit of checking the "currently active" tab after every freshly loaded character, and I did that while troubleshooting this issue as well.
I would give it a shot, as for whatever reason expressions and morphs get mixed up on my end and at times won't show up under currently used

Powerbabe

Game Developer
Aug 1, 2018
If you have Auto Face Enhancer for Genesis 8 installed, that's exactly what will cause that kind of behavior. AFE is active by default.

Click "Currently Used" and see what dials were applied to the character.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: sensepirational
Jul 11, 2017
If you have Auto Face Enhancer for Genesis 8 installed, that's exactly what will cause that kind of behavior. AFE is active by default.

Click "Currently Used" and see what dials were applied to the character.
This was it. Auto Face Enhancer's dial wasn't appearing in "Currently Used." Sneaky little bastard. After turning it off, the expressions appear to be functioning properly now. Thank you so much!