Uncle Loco

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
am i the only one that misses the old Nat look? the "new" look for Nat doesn't fit her for me she was Nat with the old look
I will be honest I loved her old look, but like others have said it did not fit her personality. I am happy with the change now, but at first I hated it. The new hair fits her personality very well. Plus I don't think BD liked using that hair as I understand it is not easy to work with.

Reactions: csmk14

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
I will be honest I loved her old look, but like others have said it did not fit her personality. I am happy with the change now, but at first I hated it. The new hair fits her personality very well. Plus I don't think BD liked using that hair as I understand it is not easy to work with.
i gotta be honest and im ashamed to say this but i never really noticed

Uncle Loco

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
Exactly. WVM has been going on a little more than a year now, and all the characters and drama have largely confined themselves to the college. There are so many characters, with so many individual issues, that each episode could be easily confined with that. My favorite scenes are the party scenes, where the MC hangs back and just chats with a few characters about what is going on in their lives. Those of us that have played from the beginning are invested in these characters, at least a handful of our favorites, and want to see where there story is going to go, what motivates them, etc.

Now, suddenly, we have this big fight at the bolling alley with a bunch of characters we've never seen, with some sort of outside shadowy figures controlling everything. And then the MC is in a fight to the death, barely escapes with his life, and ends up thrown in jail on a felony assault charge (which is immediately thrown out due to the actions of a single cop). And then, this second or third tier university, that few people really care about in the outside world, suddenly makes national news. Really?

It all just seems to have come out of thin air with no good reason. I get that the dev wants conflict. But make the conflict about the core characters to keep it interesting to the audience.

The Ryker thing was bad enough, I've been reading this forum a long time, and I have yet to see anyone say, "Wow. This whole Ryker story is really interesting. It really adds to the story". But at least with Ryker, it was really a minor point to the story for the most part, many updates didn't even mention him, so I could for the most part ignore it.

And finally, you hit the nail on the head with your final point. The final sin in storytelling, is that this extra unneeded drama is all so boring. Why should any of us players care?

I hope that Braindrop is listening and will consider making this a short-lived diversion, and go back to the character driven story that we all are here for.
I disagree I think the drama is needed. Sure the minor conflicts with the MC helping out each character is nice, but most of those seem to be resolved in a quick conversation or a day or two. I like having some meaty drama out there to go with this. I feel there is a lot more to the existing drama as well with Ryker and Charles. We have been hinted that there are dirty cops and it seems like there is someone out there that was really pulling the strings beyond Ryker and Charles. I am very interested in how the Ryker story will play out. I really want to know who is behind all of that since it is pretty obvious it is not Ryker or Charles.

The drama was needed to set up some of the primary players that we were just barely introduced to. One of the biggest mysteries of the game got partially answered by the bowling event and the aftermath we now know part of what WVM stands for W = Willabelle, V= Valarie, we are only missing the M now (I still think it could be Margaret). We also got a lot of additional information like what happened to Vanessa's Ex-husband. I feel a lot of this information is vital to the story in the long run. Sure we got introduced to a lot of new characters between day 7 final and 0.8.3, but we know some of them were just there and won't be back and others may appear later on.

I am looking forward to what BD has instore for us next, sure I want to focus more on some of my favorite characters but I like the mystery of the unknown that is lurking in the shadows. If the game is just fix one characters problems then go have sex with them it gets boring after a while. Injecting some crazy drama or something unexpected here and there helps with that as it adds a new challenge for the MC beyond playing basketball, getting drafted to the NBA, and have sex with everyone.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I like the small/medium drama that is simple and easy for the MC to help fix, things that are quick and that can resolve in a session or a few days. The larger drama parts are needed to balance out how quickly the MC can solve issues for the characters he is helping out. While it can seem at times the drama becomes too much, and overwhelming, but if the story is well written it pays off in the long run.

Look at the example we got at the bowling event, the brawl seen around the world. The MC was painted in a bad light, thrown in jail, and we freaked out. The thread went crazy how could he go to jail and Wendy didn't. The next update comes we find out they all went to jail including the whole basketball team not just the MC Skye and Ayden. They all get released in less than 24 hours except for Ryker and his crew.

Now on the back end of this drama we got all sorts of positive things:

• We learn more about Kimmy and Kenji
  • We finally find out what has been bothering Stacy
  • Natalie seems to be coming around to the idea of furthering the relationship
  • We finally meet Wendy and learn a little more about her
  • Willow tells us more about her past and Leslie
  • We get Jamie and Shauna to manage our days
  • We get to hear more about how Jamie and Shauna want to see the MC with other girls (take him to another city to find a hook up)
  • We get invited to a concert and music video session with a rock star (Date with Willow and maybe Liz)
  • The school drama with Teachers being able to work with students outside of class ends (oh boy lewd stuff with Veronica and Harper getting closer)
  • Even if you didn't like it we got the Mabel scene
  • We hear from Alexis who seems to miss Daddy
  • We see Penny opening up more to the MC
  • We find out there are a lot of Celebrities interested in the MC from the social media page (which also seems to interest Mckenzie)
  • Charles gets fired
  • Ryker is in the hospital in a coma, also expelled from WVM
  • Kenji is gone with a broken leg as well

So much good came out of that drama. Well placed drama can do great things for a story, as long as the drama is not over done or over used. BD has done a great job so far he tosses in the small drama which are things easier to fix (minor issues for the girls he hooks up with), he tosses in some medium ones like the house/car stuff, and then he puts in larger ones like Ryker/Charles. Now the smaller drama is great since it mostly leads to lewd content, the medium ones add some depth to the story/characters, but the larger ones can leave the impact on the player. Those larger ones are the things that get us talking and discussing the game in great detail beyond the lewd content. They get your emotions running, you get angry, frustrated at first then as they start to move towards a resolution you get understanding and happiness. These are things good story tellers do to keep their fans interested and coming back for more. Yes the lewd content brings in more fans but the good story keeps them coming back for more.

Games with lewd scene after lewd scene with barely any story are not as fun to play, they feel stale after a while. However, if you add in a good story toss in some drama/issues that the MC needs to work at and you get a better game. Too much drama gets boring too, but a good balance like we have so far in WVM keeps it fresh and us on our toes looking for the next issue.
Hardly anything on your list is connected to the drama though. They just happened to happen around the same time. And nobody is saying it should just be lewd scene after lewd scene, we just disagree that what we've got constitutes 'a good balance'. 'Getting people talking' isn't a good thing when most of them are saying 'I hate this nonsense with Ryker, when will it be over so we can get back to exploring the challenges of being the star of the school'. It wasn't hinted in the first few days or the overview, and if it carries on it's feeling like a bait-and-switch.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
I am looking forward to what BD has instore for us next, sure I want to focus more on some of my favorite characters but I like the mystery of the unknown that is lurking in the shadows. If the game is just fix one characters problems then go have sex with them it gets boring after a while. Injecting some crazy drama or something unexpected here and there helps with that as it adds a new challenge for the MC beyond playing basketball, getting drafted to the NBA, and have sex with everyone.
Ok. Thanks for your perspective. I am glad someone likes the extra drama, seriously. Personally, I just find it boring and uninteresting. I just don't know why I should care as a player. Nothing in WVM so far in the last year, in my opinion, set up the player to care about any of the extra story outside the college.

I don't know if you are a big reader, but it is like reading a new novel and getting 50 pages in when you realize "I just don't care about any of these characters". WVM, has not been like that historically. The writing has been pretty good, compared to most VNs here, and I genuinely care about a number of the characters. (Where is more Kimmy content ?!?!?!). But the last two updates have taken a turn.

Just one person's opinion. I am hoping it gets on track soon, I will certainly keep playing until the end.

Reactions: cakeny

Bailz

Mar 3, 2020
Ok. Thanks for your perspective. I am glad someone likes the extra drama, seriously. Personally, I just find it boring and uninteresting. I just don't know why I should care as a player. Nothing in WVM so far in the last year, in my opinion, set up the player to care about any of the extra story outside the college.

I don't know if you are a big reader, but it is like reading a new novel and getting 50 pages in when you realize "I just don't care about any of these characters". WVM, has not been like that historically. The writing has been pretty good, compared to most VNs here, and I genuinely care about a number of the characters. (Where is more Kimmy content ?!?!?!). But the last two updates have taken a turn.

Just one person's opinion. I am hoping it gets on track soon, I will certainly keep playing until the end.
the last two updates have taken a turn, the Cedey story about Leslie was one of the best bits of writing so far and the Stacy scene was also very good and moved the relationship on, then you also got relationship movement With Natalie and Liz, as well as setting things up with Mackenzie for the future and maybe Rainn and Carly will be options very soon after the talk with Veronica

MrFriendly

Officially Dead Inside
Donor
Feb 23, 2020

You aren't alone in that view. A number of people have mentioned not liking that the game ramped up the violence and drama to a height we hadn't seen in the VN nor was it really foreshadowed in anyway. Suddenly the MC is literally fighting for his life against multiple opponents when we all expected a fun bowling scene. I understand that it makes more of an impression if there is no foreshadowing, it is more shocking, etc. I just know that I liked the game a lot more beforehand than I do now.

I liked the quiet drama that we had already, Charles, the cheerleaders, the cloud of "teacher misconduct" from last year, the anxiety about whether the team would win, the cohesion of a team coming together at the last moment, the "what's wrong with our friend" Damien, etc... Now it feels too different for me to be excited about all of that because I am waiting for the next big thing to hit. I can't help but expect more big "events"...Will the MC get beat up again, will someone harm a member of the family, will the MC face criminal charges, and all of the very serious and very real issues that the violence will cause in the MC's life. The game isn't about a small town "boy" making a difference anymore. I don't know what it's about now, it's shifted in a direction I didn't expect and find disappointing. Still love the characters and want to see what happens just not as excited about updates as I was before.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
I fine with whatever Braindrop wants to do, expect a forced p.o.s. Damien redemption arc. Anything else is fine with me. Drama no drama matters not.

I do hate drama in this thread though but that's me

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I get that some people like the drama and I don't mean to shit on their likes and hopes for the future of the game I just see things different is all.

Personally i'd rather the drama focused on the team, the girls and the college rather than shit like Ryker.

My main issue with bad guys in these VN's, all VN's not just this, is that they are cartoon villains.

It's like an episode of Scooby Doo. They pretend to be big and scary but in the end it's just another idiot that will get foiled by a bunch of teenagers.

There are ways of adding drama that tie into the story and characters people care about.

When you bring in something like Ryker the only way to make him an actual threat is for him to do something that hurts the main character. Killing off love interests for instance.

We all know that will never happen so it's time taken away from things people actually want to see and given to something that isn't going to go anywhere.

Like I said, the stuff with Charles worked because it tied into the girls. He was dictating what the cheerleaders did and was trying to get rid of Harper. Important characters to the MC and actual credible threats. Harper could have lost her job, it wouldn't need to remove her from the game but losing her job is a real threat that could happen. Same with

Nat's dad and the kidnapping attempt from a while ago. Another thing that could happen. IT's not a danger for those 3 dreaded letters but her being taken from the MC is a real threat that could happen.

That kind of drama is fine.

Ryker Doo is cartoonish. He's not a threat. He's filler content taking time away from a cast of girls that is too large to lose time to meaningless drama. There are too many characters not getting any screen time because of distractions yet more keep turning up.

There are girls like Tia that have been around for ages and had content teased but pushed aside for silliness and now she's gone to the back of the queue because the rainbow bright brigade is getting a spotlight.

There are girls that have been in for a while that people have forgot the names of and started giving nicknames to because they showed up and then got pushed aside.

I seem to have gone on a couple of long rants and this is far too long for a habitual shitposter like me to be serious for so i'll end on this note.

I started reading this VN for a basketball team and to get to know a large group of girls and the shit that went down with them.

I truly adore Brains, he's an incredibly lovely guy and I honestly mean no disrespect to him as a developer when I say this but I could possibly give any less of a toss about characters like Ryker if I tried.

Drama is fine if it's relevant to the cast and Ryker hasn't been relevant since his first appearance.

I'd love it if the drama involved characters we either cared about or wanted to get to know and less about side shit that won't ever be a credible threat.

It hurts my soul to be this serious so long, especially with only 20 minutes until my Cyberpunk unlocks.

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
I get that some people like the drama and I don't mean to shit on their likes and hopes for the future of the game I just see things different is all.

Personally i'd rather the drama focused on the team, the girls and the college rather than shit like Ryker.

My main issue with bad guys in these VN's, all VN's not just this, is that they are cartoon villains.

It's like an episode of Scooby Doo. They pretend to be big and scary but in the end it's just another idiot that will get foiled by a bunch of teenagers.

There are ways of adding drama that tie into the story and characters people care about.

When you bring in something like Ryker the only way to make him an actual threat is for him to do something that hurts the main character. Killing off love interests for instance.

We all know that will never happen so it's time taken away from things people actually want to see and given to something that isn't going to go anywhere.

Like I said, the stuff with Charles worked because it tied into the girls. He was dictating what the cheerleaders did and was trying to get rid of Harper. Important characters to the MC and actual credible threats. Harper could have lost her job, it wouldn't need to remove her from the game but losing her job is a real threat that could happen. Same with

Nat's dad and the kidnapping attempt from a while ago. Another thing that could happen. IT's not a danger for those 3 dreaded letters but her being taken from the MC is a real threat that could happen.

That kind of drama is fine.

Ryker Doo is cartoonish. He's not a threat. He's filler content taking time away from a cast of girls that is too large to lose time to meaningless drama. There are too many characters not getting any screen time because of distractions yet more keep turning up.

There are girls like Tia that have been around for ages and had content teased but pushed aside for silliness and now she's gone to the back of the queue because the rainbow bright brigade is getting a spotlight.

There are girls that have been in for a while that people have forgot the names of and started giving nicknames to because they showed up and then got pushed aside.

I seem to have gone on a couple of long rants and this is far too long for a habitual shitposter like me to be serious for so i'll end on this note.

I started reading this VN for a basketball team and to get to know a large group of girls and the shit that went down with them.

I truly adore Brains, he's an incredibly lovely guy and I honestly mean no disrespect to him as a developer when I say this but I could possibly give any less of a toss about characters like Ryker if I tried.

Drama is fine if it's relevant to the cast and Ryker hasn't been relevant since his first appearance.

I'd love it if the drama involved characters we either cared about or wanted to get to know and less about side shit that won't ever be a credible threat.

It hurts my soul to be this serious so long, especially with only 20 minutes until my Cyberpunk unlocks.
Ryker is no Doo :( maybe a old mister Wilson or a old man Whithers but not a Doo. Scrappy is more of a man than him or his bitch Damien just saying.

Braindrop

Game Developer
Aug 30, 2019

I agree with this take but it's also why Ryker has been used very sparingly in the story.

1st appearance set everything up with Stacy.

2nd appearance furthered into creepy mode w/ him and Charles. Led to Stacy moving in.

3rd appearance uncovered Damien and fixed Kimmy's living situation for the moment.

4th appearance has led to a reunion between Rachael and Willabelle, a reunion with MC and Wendy, Rach&Belle setting up a team to help with MC's life (and a lot of the girls with less screen time are on this team), and serves as an overall refocusing on what's important to the MC. And honestly a lot more that I can't say yet. :)

Have fun in night city :cool:

Uncle Loco

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 28, 2020
I agree with this take but it's also why Ryker has been used very sparingly in the story.

1st appearance set everything up with Stacy.

2nd appearance furthered into creepy mode w/ him and Charles. Led to Stacy moving in.

3rd appearance uncovered Damien and fixed Kimmy's living situation for the moment.

4th appearance has led to a reunion between Rachael and Willabelle, a reunion with MC and Wendy, Rach&Belle setting up a team to help with MC's life (and a lot of the girls with less screen time are on this team), and serves as an overall refocusing on what's important to the MC. And honestly a lot more that I can't say yet. :)

Have fun in night city :cool:
See this is why I liked the drama we got it set up all this and so much more. As a writer myself and an avid reader this is the stuff I love. The drama made little to no sense to those that don't want to read in between the lines and find the hidden clues or just want to focus on the girl of their choice. We all should have seen this coming the clues where there to find. Ryker tried to kidnap the MC, Stacy was able to slow him down and the MC then was able to knock out Ryker. You know Ryker wanted revenge after that. He tried to get under the MC skin he found his weaken the girls and was going to try to expose that next. Ryker had some sort of shady business going on and it was pretty clear from day one that he was not calling the shots. He tried to do some dumb things and it failed, but he knew the weakness of the MC and that was key. Ryker threatened one of the MC girls and the MC wanted nothing to do with that so he finally raged out after Ryker crossed that final line and punched his mother.

There is so much more to this story so many clues of things to come and I can not wait for them. Do I think there is another connection between Ryker and the MC yes. There seems to be a lot we don't know about the MC as well. How did he end up with Azel rather than foster care or back to his real mother. What really happened to his father, why did his father say his mother left him and never another word about having a sister. So many unanswered question that can leave other possible connections.

Sure I love the lewd content, but it is the story and the background of all the characters that keep me coming back and replaying scenes over and over again to find something that I may have missed. I like the drama we have it as brought us a lot of interesting things and I look forward to more in the future. I am sure we are going to learn more about why Belle and her group took over the school. I am sure there are people that were in charge before that are trying to get that power back from Belle and that will be more drama in the future as well. Sure we want to see more about the basketball team and the drama there. Yes, I want to see more about my favorite characters too, but I have to wait like everyone else. There is a story to tell in between the lewd content, and I can't wait for it to come out.

Thanks BD for your story and sharing it with us. Also have fun with Cyberpunk, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on it, before I consider buying it myself.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
I have to disagree with you there, he was relevant in his second appearance too, when he was creeping on Stacy. Again, direct connection to one of the girls. If his thing had been a stalkery obsession with her that would have kept him relevant.

Sure I love the lewd content, but it is the story and the background of all the characters that keep me coming back and replaying scenes over and over again to find something that I may have missed. I like the drama we have it as brought us a lot of interesting things and I look forward to more in the future. I am sure we are going to learn more about why Belle and her group took over the school. I am sure there are people that were in charge before that are trying to get that power back from Belle and that will be more drama in the future as well. Sure we want to see more about the basketball team and the drama there. Yes, I want to see more about my favorite characters too, but I have to wait like everyone else. There is a story to tell in between the lewd content, and I can't wait for it to come out.
I'm getting a little tired of the implications that people who don't like the Ryker arc just want all lewds all the time when several of us now have explained how that is not the case. :mad:

Reactions: Avaron1974 and BTLD

Spfjolietjake

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 26, 2019
I honestly have no issues with the vn and its content at all. Just the fact that Braindrop gave us the choice of trans or not on two characters is over and above imo. We all have things we enjoy and don't enjoy. That doesn't mean that our wants are anymore important than anyone else's (except those that actually fund it being made, without them we wouldn't have this awesome vn).

I try to stay out of most arguments and fail repeatedly but I do actually try. I say these things knowing full well if Damien had a forced redemption arc I would be acting a fool myself. This thread is filled with posters that have strong opinions because they actually really care for the characters and the story itself sometimes this strong emotions conflict with other's strong emotions. For the most part this thread has been filled with maturity and mutual respect and I love that.

Please keep in mind that the American "holiday season" is a stressful time for many and maybe people will be a little faster to frustration than normal. Not excusing bad behaviors but it helps myself to remember that especially in this fucked up year of 2020.

Counting to ten sometimes can help cleanse a situation.
Also the block button works wonders for the extreme or the annoying. Anyway that is my opinion. Cheers

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I think the game just have a problem with pacing. We're still at early stages and it looks that Braindrop has a whole arc planned out but we are watching only glimpses of it, not very consistent and quite few and far between due to the "need" of sexy bits and the usual narrative cliche of not revealing the real deal too early. After more than a year of development and just 8 in-game days, a lot of things have happened but we don't still quite get what this game is going to be about: at first it was just about a young prospect going to a minor college, then about him building up an harem, now it's about him sorting the college management out. Maybe it was always about dealing with Ryker (or his overlords if that's the case) but we are lost in the intro and just can't see it, we were so focused with that exhausting daily schedule that we aren't able to see the whole scope and, when the actual story appears, we think it's just a filler. I still don't get the need of introducing +30 girls in the first week if they are not relevant now, maybe it was wrong to solve the blood-family plotline so early, maybe the time spent in some repetitive convos with LI's could have been skipped to move things further, maybe an harem type game it's just not suited to also carry on a heavy plot action outside the harem.

Just some random morning thoughts, don't make a big deal of them

3.70 star(s) 647 Votes