yet another "how do I start" thread

xuipizdec

Oct 4, 2018
hi there, friends. I would be extremely grateful if you help me. Lurking through f95, I've seen a lot of comments, which I found quite reasonable and helpful. So when I faced difficulties, I thought - hey, here are dudes that can help me to))!
ok then...
I am noob in gamedev. Actually, I know some coding, have couple game ideas, have even 75% ready unity 2d game, but... What should I do next? How do I start to earn some money??? (and yes, I know, how it sounds, but ... are you here only for fun and charity lol?)
Is there some instructions or tips? I know about game requests thread, about rules, downloads etc. But what steps should I make along or even before? Ok, I can make the Patreon page with all info and links. Ok, I can create the Devianart page, but why I should do it? Is it all only for self-promotion? And I should wait that people just will like the game and will become my patrons? What should I do more?
TIA

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I know some coding, have couple game ideas, have even 75% ready unity 2d game
That's good, at least your ahead.
Sadly, there is also the issue of the 80 20 rule. Where 80% of your time is a result of only 20% of the work needed to complete the game. IE trying to fix silly dumb mistakes like why a file won't import, or in most cases, the last 80% of all the work is spent polishing up the last 20% of the game. Or as some computer science teacher say, if you only have enough energy and time to make the code, You won't have any time and energy to debug the code to get it working.

But ignoring that bit of detail, you're still better off with having a bit of experience getting something put together. I would say you should look at the youtuber UndegroundDev, he makes small games, but he know a lot about marketing and the importance of spreading awareness for when you eventually release your game. The only reason for this is because if you do want to make money (by sales) you get your most downloads on the first day, and then only a trickel the remainder of the time.

As for making a post/thread. I think you have to make a post in Request section, and a mod will look it over, ask for changes or manually insert changes (if they are generous enough) and if it passes they will move it to the releases section.

Other than spreading awareness for money reasons, my guess to spread awareness is just to get recognition and motivation/inspiration for your next cool project if you plan to continue.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think there is any problem with trying to make some money on something you worked hard on.

You need to do two things for that:
1 getting as many people as possible to know about your game.
2 converting as many of those people into paying customers.

How to get there depends on how you plan to earn money. If you go the Patreon route you probably want to spread your game to as many of sites like this as possible. This allows potential Patrons to discover your game, play your game and best case click on your Patron link. Things you can do to improve conversion are to have an alternative to Patreon for those who hate that platform and have a way to make a one time donation for people who do not want to make a long term commitment.
If you want to sell your game pirate sites might not be the best fit to your game (maybe you can make a demo). So you will have to spread your game to as many storefronts as will take you. Maybe spend a little money on adds so people can discover your game.
If you go the pay to win microtransactions laden lootbox webgame route than I think adds are pretty much the only way to get your game noticed.

Anyway don't expect to be able to make a living doing this (but it is nice if it happens).

Some things you may want to keep in mind: if your game becomes popular you have to expect the game to become pirated, don't get too discouraged by it. Conversion from player to payer is probably very low don't expect this to be a get rich quick scheme. Most devs don't make a living wage doing this. No matter what type of monetization you decide to use please make sure that you abide by the rules of the platform you use to monetize your game (whether that is your webhost, payment processor, Patreon, Subscribestar, Itch or Steam.) because it will really suck if you quit your job only to find your account suspended or that you are thrown off the platform.

edit:
Making a Patreon early on and regularly posting to it will show potential Patrons that you have a history of working on the project and working on it for an extended period of time so that you are less likely to give up if the going gets though.

Last edited:

Nepsa

May 14, 2017
I don't think there is any problem with trying to make some money on something you worked hard on.

You need to do two things for that:
1 getting as many people as possible to know about your game.
2 converting as many of those people into paying customers.

How to get there depends on how you plan to earn money. If you go the Patreon route you probably want to spread your game to as many of sites like this as possible. This allows potential Patrons to discover your game, play your game and best case click on your Patron link. Things you can do to improve conversion are to have an alternative to Patreon for those who hate that platform and have a way to make a one time donation for people who do not want to make a long term commitment.
If you want to sell your game pirate sites might not be the best fit to your game (maybe you can make a demo). So you will have to spread your game to as many storefronts as will take you. Maybe spend a little money on adds so people can discover your game.
If you go the pay to win microtransactions laden lootbox webgame route than I think adds are pretty much the only way to get your game noticed.

Anyway don't expect to be able to make a living doing this (but it is nice if it happens).

Some things you may want to keep in mind: if your game becomes popular you have to expect the game to become pirated, don't get too discouraged by it. Conversion from player to payer is probably very low don't expect this to be a get rich quick scheme. Most devs don't make a living wage doing this. No matter what type of monetization you decide to use please make sure that you abide by the rules of the platform you use to monetize your game (whether that is your webhost, payment processor, Patreon, Subscribestar, Itch or Steam.) because it will really suck if you quit your job only to find your account suspended or that you are thrown off the platform.

edit:
Making a Patreon early on and regularly posting to it will show potential Patrons that you have a history of working on the project and working on it for an extended period of time so that you are less likely to give up if the going gets though.
should I share my game also free in the sites like this? planning to making it patreon

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
should I share my game also free in the sites like this? planning to making it patreon
I think so. Patron's won't magickly flock to your Patreon page. People need to know you are out there. I see sites like this as marketing but you might prefer another way to get noticed.

Reactions: Nepsa

Nepsa

May 14, 2017
I think so. Patron's won't magickly flock to your Patreon page. People need to know you are out there. I see sites like this as marketing but you might prefer another way to get noticed.
but how, ist it a bad type of marketing since they are all crackers?

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Well you get what you pay for and marketing on sites like these are free. This means that in terms of conversion rates (i.e. play to pay) will be very low. But if you use paid marketing (advertisements) the success rate might be the same. I have no idea. On the plus side with sites like these you are sure to reach your target audience while with more generalised advertisements you might not.
There is no single way to success the only thing I know for sure is that just releasing your game on Patreon will mean it will not get played. You will need some way to reach your target audience. Discoverability on Patreon is non existent by design.

Reactions: Nepsa

Nepsa

May 14, 2017
Well you get what you pay for and marketing on sites like these are free. This means that in terms of conversion rates (i.e. play to pay) will be very low. But if you use paid marketing (advertisements) the success rate might be the same. I have no idea. On the plus side with sites like these you are sure to reach your target audience while with more generalised advertisements you might not.
There is no single way to success the only thing I know for sure is that just releasing your game on Patreon will mean it will not get played. You will need some way to reach your target audience. Discoverability on Patreon is non existent by design.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Being a pirate doesn't mean that you are a dick.
Most games funded through Patreon are free anyway, you just have to wait (from few days to months) before the previous update is finally available for anyone, and not only for the patrons. A place like this one generally permit to access it without delay, but it don't change the idea behind this business model : If someone think that the game deserve some of its money, he will pledge.

Many devs voluntarily released their game here, right from the first update, and all of them had patrons because to that. Most of the successful dev are members of the community, some being even active outside of their game thread. They wouldn't if it was costing them money in place of helping them to gain support.