4.90 star(s) 16 Votes

randiel

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
So far I tested simply decreasing quality of the gif in one tool but it saves like 3-6% only. Converting gif to mp4 is super effective (even up to 90% reduction!!) but the quality then is.... well shitty. Plus I had problems with some mp4 files not appearing later in the game.
The search continues :)

wenwen500

Jul 1, 2019
I've found one gif compressor .exe file,but it's all in Chinese,I'd like to share the file via mega drive and paste my screenshot translations,it can't save dir path with folders in folders,but it works well in one single folder.

As it's an .exe file,make sure you scan the virus before launch it,though i test the file on my own pc.

My share files via Mega:
And my translation for ya'll marvelous folks

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
I am currently testing converting all gifs to WebP to see how much that reduces the overall file sizes. I do not recommend converting gifs to WebM unless you are willing to give every single gif the html video tags within the code (whereas I believe you can just mass replace .gif with .webp and it will still largely work). I'll post my findings when I finish.
Are you saving much file space by changing animated gifs to webp? I find I can get better size reduction by optimizing my gifs than by converting to webp. But of course I have to optimize each gif individually. I haven't played with WebM...but it sounds sexy. Will have to check it out.

Unruly

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
I've found one gif compressor .exe file,but it's all in Chinese,I'd like to share the file via mega drive and paste my screenshot translations,it can't save dir path with folders in folders,but it works well in one single folder.

As it's an .exe file,make sure you scan the virus before launch it,though i test the file on my own pc.

My share files via Mega:Mega
And my translation for ya'll marvelous folks
Should we be concerned that you are telling us to scan the virus?

ezGif.com is a good online gif editor but you need to do one file at a time. So effective when adding to animated gifs to a game but going back through all the gifs you have....so long.

Unruly

• Haha
Reactions: xxx_chris2018

wenwen500

Jul 1, 2019
Should we be concerned that you are telling us to scan the virus?

ezGif.com is a good online gif editor but you need to do one file at a time. So effective when adding to animated gifs to a game but going back through all the gifs you have....so long.

Unruly
that's the reason why I find this tool for batching compression,
it's developed by another programmer and I almost know nothing about programming language,
I just know something to protect myself from those malwares or spams
so to myself I test it, but I just want anyone else who downloaded any others’ exe files,
you should scan them before double click it.

Morphamagus

Dec 31, 2020
This may seem like like a bit backwards of a request, but could it be possible to have an activity or just a cheat to lower brother/father corruption? I realized there were scene variances I was missing out on when the corruption went up too fast.

Also, I noticed with the most recent update (although it may also have been 0.4) that changing the brother's age no longer gives a different profile pic. Not really a big deal since you don't really see it, but it was a touch that I liked.

Tobbi29

Mar 31, 2019
Are you saving much file space by changing animated gifs to webp? I find I can get better size reduction by optimizing my gifs than by converting to webp. But of course I have to optimize each gif individually. I haven't played with WebM...but it sounds sexy. Will have to check it out.

Unruly
I am still testing the various levels of compression when converting gif to webp. As a note, I am focusing on retaining as much of the quality as possible when converting it over aiming for "difficult to tell the difference". So far I am settled on 90% quality. When I compare the webp output to the gif optimized by ezgif, the quality is about the same but the webp has an average compression rate of 40-60% whereas ezgif has an average of 20-40%. It appears that the difference is steeper at a lower % quality for webp but I haven't done too much testing. I have attached a zip of one gif that I ran through different levels of compression of webp and the default ezgif optimizer, put them side by side and try to find the differences.

View attachment Gif Conversion Test.zip

Although 20% extra compression comparative to ezgif optimization isnt too much improvement for just 1 gif, this project has more than 1500 gifs which take up more than 75% of the file size, it adds up! I will post more info as I work on batch converting the files and testing more optimizations.

Reactions: Ca1keh

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
I am still testing the various levels of compression when converting gif to webp. As a note, I am focusing on retaining as much of the quality as possible when converting it over aiming for "difficult to tell the difference". So far I am settled on 90% quality. When I compare the webp output to the gif optimized by ezgif, the quality is about the same but the webp has an average compression rate of 40-60% whereas ezgif has an average of 20-40%. It appears that the difference is steeper at a lower % quality for webp but I haven't done too much testing. I have attached a zip of one gif that I ran through different levels of compression of webp and the default ezgif optimizer, put them side by side and try to find the differences.

View attachment 996614

Although 20% extra compression comparative to ezgif optimization isnt too much improvement for just 1 gif, this project has more than 1500 gifs which take up more than 75% of the file size, it adds up! I will post more info as I work on batch converting the files and testing more optimizations.
wow! I wonder what I am doing wrong. Thank you for sharing your findings!

Unruly

randiel

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
Current there are around 2500 gifs in Young Marcus :D
I want to play around first with compression of gif without format change so I wouldn't have to update all these gif in the code. I still have webm on the list, webp I think is like an image so nothing "moving" there. Unless I'm doing something wrong.

This may seem like like a bit backwards of a request, but could it be possible to have an activity or just a cheat to lower brother/father corruption? I realized there were scene variances I was missing out on when the corruption went up too fast.

Also, I noticed with the most recent update (although it may also have been 0.4) that changing the brother's age no longer gives a different profile pic. Not really a big deal since you don't really see it, but it was a touch that I liked.
I may add a cheat for that in the future.

Tobbi29

Mar 31, 2019
I have completed a basic conversion of 99% of gif to webp format with very light compression that appears indistinguishable between the original gif and the webp version. My results are as follows.

Size Reduction:
Pics Folder goes from 3.5 GB to 2 GB (42% decrease in size)
This is only conversion and compression of gif files to webp files. I suspect that another 0.5 GB or more could be saved if I lowered the quality of compression from almost indistinguishable to a bit worse.
I am attempting to optimize the next largest group of files which are the webm files, this may save about 100mb

Ease of Implementation
I have already edited the html file by doing a replace all of .gif" to .webp" within the file and tested various pages with multiple gifs on a single page
From my limited testing, everything seems to work as intended, no broken images, no significant lag encountered, all webp type files loop correctly
No extra work needed to implement webp other than change extension in html code

Issues with conversion
Extremely low quality gifs (gifs with a lot of static, or has a screen door effect from massive gif compression) need special compression parameters or they can bloat to twice their size.
Out of over 1500 gifs, I have corrected the bloat of 13 gifs that show extreme gif compression artifacts, best to avoid these if you can in the future

Next steps
Optimize current webm files
Consider converting some gif files to webm instead of webp due to size/length that they are more suited to a video codec than an animated image
Consider looking into how many images are actually used in the code and delete the unused extra/legacy files

Randiel, how much size reduction are you looking for? Are you willing to sacrifice quality of already heavily compressed gifs to achieve it? I think the compression that I am doing is already close to the limit of indistinguishable vs noticeable quality loss. Let me know your thoughts on these results so I can consider how to best move forward.

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
How to get some Attractiveness as a man I mean 15 + ?
(What follows are the ramblings of an immature mind...please move along if you are a serious/mature individual)

Come on people. You cannot tee up a question like that and not expect me to make a joke. You know what...NO...I am not going to be baited like this. You want jokes? Do not pander.

Unruly

Unable to resist:
I'd recommend a make-over. Like, get your hair did, eyebrows plucked, maybe a facial, some new clothing. Oh and be confident. Nothing is more attractive than a man with confidence. Okay maybe Idris Elba is more attractive than a man with confidence but confidence goes a LONG way. An expensive car couldn't hurt. Finally, consider surrounding yourself with ugly friends, you will look better when contrasted with them. I am not saying that you should only hang with people because they are ugly BUT look at the people you currently hang with and just stand closer to the less attractive ones. Wait, is that why my friends always want to stand near me? Am I the "ugly so they look attractive by contract friend"? Was mom right all this time?

In summary:
I have no impulse control.

xxx_chris2018

Oct 29, 2018
(What follows are the ramblings of an immature mind...please move along if you are a serious/mature individual)

Come on people. You cannot tee up a question like that and not expect me to make a joke. You know what...NO...I am not going to be baited like this. You want jokes? Do not pander.

Unruly

Unable to resist:
I'd recommend a make-over. Like, get your hair did, eyebrows plucked, maybe a facial, some new clothing. Oh and be confident. Nothing is more attractive than a man with confidence. Okay maybe Idris Elba is more attractive than a man with confidence but confidence goes a LONG way. An expensive car couldn't hurt. Finally, consider surrounding yourself with ugly friends, you will look better when contrasted with them. I am not saying that you should only hang with people because they are ugly BUT look at the people you currently hang with and just stand closer to the less attractive ones. Wait, is that why my friends always want to stand near me? Am I the "ugly so they look attractive by contract friend"? Was mom right all this time?

In summary:
I have no impulse control.
I love you Unruly. You truly brighten my day, haha.

randiel

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
I have completed a basic conversion of 99% of gif to webp format with very light compression that appears indistinguishable between the original gif and the webp version. My results are as follows.

Size Reduction:
Pics Folder goes from 3.5 GB to 2 GB (42% decrease in size)
This is only conversion and compression of gif files to webp files. I suspect that another 0.5 GB or more could be saved if I lowered the quality of compression from almost indistinguishable to a bit worse.
I am attempting to optimize the next largest group of files which are the webm files, this may save about 100mb

Ease of Implementation
I have already edited the html file by doing a replace all of .gif" to .webp" within the file and tested various pages with multiple gifs on a single page
From my limited testing, everything seems to work as intended, no broken images, no significant lag encountered, all webp type files loop correctly
No extra work needed to implement webp other than change extension in html code

Issues with conversion
Extremely low quality gifs (gifs with a lot of static, or has a screen door effect from massive gif compression) need special compression parameters or they can bloat to twice their size.
Out of over 1500 gifs, I have corrected the bloat of 13 gifs that show extreme gif compression artifacts, best to avoid these if you can in the future

Next steps
Optimize current webm files
Consider converting some gif files to webm instead of webp due to size/length that they are more suited to a video codec than an animated image
Consider looking into how many images are actually used in the code and delete the unused extra/legacy files

Randiel, how much size reduction are you looking for? Are you willing to sacrifice quality of already heavily compressed gifs to achieve it? I think the compression that I am doing is already close to the limit of indistinguishable vs noticeable quality loss. Let me know your thoughts on these results so I can consider how to best move forward.
Wow that is a great summary. The bigger reduction the better (technically) but at some point with the potato quality of gifs you start to wonder what is the point. I don't have the Unruly's gift of words, I need some pictures to drive the story.
42% is more than I hoped for already, 2GB is I think a reasonable size. At least till I start adding more stories :) I may divide packages after the next update when I finally be done with redo of the old files and focus only on new additions, this should help reduce the weight of the file in each update.
One more thing I want to do at some point is file check and remove all gifs that are in the folder but that were removed by Serialares or me from the code but not from the package. This should also help reduce the size.

Tobbi29

Mar 31, 2019
I have completed a basic compression of the webm files, again attempting to make the changes indistinguishable; I do not notice any quality loss between the original webm and the newly compressed webm. It shaves off about 250mb. I also did a once over and did specific compression parameters for huge gif files that were unnecessarily large.

These changes coupled with converting the gifs to webp makes the Pics folder go from 3.5 GB to 1.7 GB (~50% reduction) with nigh indistinguishable quality loss.

I am posting the download link below, everything works (that I tested) in the html file so you can extract and play/test yourself. Randiel feel free to use my compressed version if you find it acceptable. Do note that I did not view and test every single 1500 gifs that I converted and compressed, so if anyone finds that any of the files seem to be extremely glitchy or is not playing right comparatively to the original version, please let me know so that I can reencode and fix it.

(UPDATE 27/01/21 fixed some .gif tags to webp I missed in the HTML code, causing minor issues with a few gifs not correctly looking for webp)

In the zip file, there is a compression info text file which lines all of the parameters and processes I did to compress it. This is more for Randiel/anyone else planning to mod this game, but if you have any questions, please let me know!

Also, as an interesting matter of perspective,
The original Young Marcus version 6.0.1 has a file size of 0.9 GB with 1161 files.
The uncompressed version of Young Marcus Expanded v0.5 is 3.5 GB with a whopping 2445 files.
My compressed version of Young Marcus Expanded v0.5 is 1.7 GB with the same 2445 files.

The amount of eye candy and content that has been added to Young Marcus in the expanded edition is simply amazing and I look forward to further development, great job Randiel!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2666402

Game Developer
Jul 30, 2020
These changes coupled with converting the gifs to webp makes the Pics folder go from 3.5 GB to 1.7 GB (~50% reduction) with nigh indistinguishable quality loss.
Tobbi is like a superhero!

(and he used the term "nigh")

Seriously, you are awesome for doing this!

Unruly

randiel

Game Developer
Nov 19, 2018
I have completed a basic compression of the webm files, again attempting to make the changes indistinguishable; I do not notice any quality loss between the original webm and the newly compressed webm. It shaves off about 250mb. I also did a once over and did specific compression parameters for huge gif files that were unnecessarily large.

I am posting the download link below, everything works (that I tested) in the html file so you can extract and play/test yourself. Randiel feel free to use my compressed version if you find it acceptable. Do note that I did not view and test every single 1500 gifs that I converted and compressed, so if anyone finds that any of the files seem to be extremely glitchy or is not playing right comparatively to the original version, please let me know so that I can reencode and fix it.

Young Marcus Expanded 0.5 Compressed

In the zip file, there is a compression info text file which lines all of the parameters and processes I did to compress it. This is more for Randiel/anyone else planning to mod this game, but if you have any questions, please let me know!

Also, as an interesting matter of perspective,
The original Young Marcus version 6.0.1 has a file size of 0.9 GB with 1161 files.
The uncompressed version of Young Marcus Expanded v0.5 is 3.5 GB with a whopping 2445 files.
My compressed version of Young Marcus Expanded v0.5 is 1.7 GB with the same 2445 files.

The amount of eye candy and content that has been added to Young Marcus in the expanded edition is simply amazing and I look forward to further development, great job Randiel!
Tobbi29 man, I would kiss you if I can :love: You saved me hell amount of work.
Will definetly use your compressed verion for next update as now I can focus again on adding new scenes. If you want something extra let me know and I'll add a scene just for you :)

PTHemlock

Jul 13, 2020
Loved the new update! Here's a lengthy feedback lol

Bugs I found:
- The encounter you get when working out alone in the gym isn't functional.
- If you actually buy alcohol in the gay bar, you get transported to the bar at the beach (btw is there any point getting drunk?)
- You can't actually change your brothers name (this is a bug from the original game)

More suggestions:
-Masturbating during class! Like streaking, it can be done in increments: fantasising (getting an erection) during class -> adjusting yourself -> touching yourself -> secretly masturbating -> semi-openly masturbating (actively making a show for classmates near you, but not the teacher) -> openly masturbating in class. As of now, raising school (slut?) reputation is kinda hard. Aside from random encounter and "helping" the librarian, there isn't much you can do to raise it. Of course, if you're caught by the teacher you get sent to the principle's office. Depending on your school reputation and corruption, the both the player and teacher/principle will act differently. You're parent's corruption and relationship with you will also affect how they react. Side note, it's a bit weird that you can have sex with the librarian so easily... not sure if its a bug or not.

-Modelling for art class! Once you have enough beauty and physique, you get offered to model for art class, nakedly of course ;) Aside from raising your reputation, this can be another way to raise your streaking level. Once you're somewhat of an exhibitionist, you get horny during class and, with enough corruption and streaking level, you might een cum without touching yourself. A similar event can also be done with health class.

-Not sure if this is doable, but maybe we can have some permanent change to our character that affects their behaviour? Almost like an addiction to certain kinks. For example, every time the player displays themselves in public, a meter goes up (this meter will constantly decrease over time). If the player expose themselves frequently, the meter will be able to reach a threshold and after that, the player becomes an exhibitionist permanently. This means that the player will remove clothes automatically if clothes are worn long enough. When naked and in public, they might spontaneously masturbate. For more submersion, flavour text can be added during certain action. Other example for these permanent change include: sex addiction (must have sex periodically, maybe from a specific person), beastiality (like sex addiction, but with animals), cum addiction, etc.

-Lastly, an ending for Adam and Brother/Father. I'm kinda surprised a brother/father ending wasn't in the base game already (though maybe the mind-melt ending counts?). Adam is a great character so I wish he has his own personal ending too.

4.90 star(s) 16 Votes