• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

trulul

Aug 11, 2023
I think with a whip you're at 100% without Manhunter.
I am fairly certain I have seen manhunter fail to capture even with a whipping cane. But I acknowledge that it could have been somebody scripted to be uncapturable. It was definitely not the first of a random bounty at least.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I am fairly certain I have seen manhunter fail to capture even with a whipping cane. But I acknowledge that it could have been somebody scripted to be uncapturable. It was definitely not the first of a random bounty at least.
I've never failed a capture with manhunter with a whip except on targets that are impossible to capture. There are a few targets around town that you wouldn't think would be uncaptureable but are aside from the primary bounty target. Also some quest targets.

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
Actually, maybe I should try some game starts without Manhunter. It's still an S tier trait but me calling it the best trait might need some more thought. Its really really loaded for a 15 cost trait though and it makes starting on Grimdark A Dying World easier. That's what I call a capture rich environment.
Most of the games, where I have done a turtle start on Grimdark + dying world, prosperity and control are typically trending downward via random events. So, you will still have a very capture rich environment even if you delay a few months before harvesting them.

I think the most questionable choice, I usually do during creation, is to max out intelligence. As far as I know, it doesn't really affect much, and it is mostly done because I don't want to be annoyed later, that I am forever stuck with a halfwit mc.

I also like to think, that if mc can have 90 IQ in the game, maybe one day I could also have that in the real world :p

• Haha
Reactions: Fauno36

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
I've never failed a capture with manhunter with a whip except on targets that are impossible to capture. There are a few targets around town that you wouldn't think would be uncaptureable but are aside from the primary bounty target. Also some quest targets.
Does anyone know if the manhunter trait affects the capture chance for the allied npcs or only mc?

Reactions: DrLizardman

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Most of the games, where I have done a turtle start on Grimdark + dying world, prosperity and control are typically trending downward via random events. So, you will still have a very capture rich environment even if you delay a few months before harvesting them.

I think the most questionable choice, I usually do during creation, is to max out intelligence. As far as I know, it doesn't really affect much, and it is mostly done because I don't want to be annoyed later, that I am forever stuck with a halfwit mc.

I also like to think, that if mc can have 90 IQ in the game, maybe one day I could also have that in the real world :p
I actually have the opposite luck with control. In my current game I started on Grimdark with Dying World active and I'm already up to 30 control on day 5. So most of the extra bandits that spawn around town with low control are gone now. That event that boosts control by 12 happened on day 2 for me and there was at least 1 other that boosts control that also happened in the first few days. So your mileage may vary. Prosperity I usually have more issues with, typically I get pestilence and vermin dropping my prosperity into negative territory right off the bat.

As far as I know the only real reason to boost Int to 90+ now is to get Master Tactician. Having low int just means books take longer to read. I got so programmed to train up Int from previous versions that I always do it anyway but I don't put more points into it than required for the books/classes to get me to 90 for Master Tactician.

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
I actually have the opposite luck with control. In my current game I started on Grimdark with Dying World active and I'm already up to 30 control on day 5. So most of the extra bandits that spawn around town with low control are gone now. That event that boosts control by 12 happened on day 2 for me and there was at least 1 other that boosts control that also happened in the first few days. So your mileage may vary. Prosperity I usually have more issues with, typically I get pestilence and vermin dropping my prosperity into negative territory right off the bat.

As far as I know the only real reason to boost Int to 90+ now is to get Master Tactician. Having low int just means books take longer to read. I got so programmed to train up Int from previous versions that I always do it anyway but I don't put more points into it than required for the books/classes to get me to 90 for Master Tactician.
The warship event with 12 added control does happen occasionally, but from my experience Alien vermin and other bad events keeps the trend down. I think you just had an extremely "unlucky" rng in this case and even so, I would expect that it will eventually crawl down to anarchy unless you interfere and do things which affects control in a postive direction.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Decided to play around a little with a Rise start and it definitely requires some painful decisions. Had to take 2 levels of soldier to unlock the Traits in green that are mandatory for me. Massive load isn't really mandatory but it's free, so why not? The traits in red are the least bad options I saw to use to pay for the ones in green. Wildborn is just a bonus with leftover points since I can't afford Brainy without taking some much more unpleasant traits, and it's especially painful since this build is dumb as a box of rocks.

rise2.jpg rise.jpg

The best option I could see to also get Brainy was to drop Wildborn and take both BO and Near-Sighted which would make me a bad hunter. Not the biggest problem but would make progress with the bandits harder.

Last edited:

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
Decided to play around a little with a Rise start and it definitely requires some painful decisions. Had to take 2 levels of soldier to unlock the Traits in green that are mandatory for me. Massive load isn't really mandatory but it's free, so why not? The traits in red are the least bad options I saw to use to pay for the ones in green. Wildborn is just a bonus with leftover points since I can't afford Brainy without taking some much more unpleasant traits, and it's especially painful since this build is dumb as a box of rocks.

View attachment 3609829 View attachment 3609830
I would definitely have chosen Huge penis instead of wild born. Better to be stupid with a big penis than being stupid without a big penis.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I would definitely have chosen Huge penis instead of wild born. Better to be stupid with a big penis than being stupid without a big penis.
Yeah that's an option. Another interesting option for a Rise start could be something like this if you were ok with saving some of the bigger fights til your mercs are really pumped up to the max. I have no idea if the hardest fights are even theoretically possible with MC contributing zero damage to them, but other than combat this build could ramp up to be good at everything else fairly easily and that workshop and investment bonus is actually pretty significant. Might even be worth dropping something else to grab Manhunter just for the sale price bonus. You can't capture them yourself but your mercs can. Have never actually tried a pacifist build so far. Master Tactician would theoretically still be useful but Master of War wouldn't.

pacifist1.jpg pacifist2.jpg pacifist3.jpg

Reactions: Gunner Rey
Mar 5, 2024
Hilarious, here we go again, about whipping canes and whether the chance is 100% or not with them (and what the base capture chance is). The only think I am writing about that is: The code has not changed from v8.23 to v8.3h to v8.31 about the slave capture (aside from a few more enemies becoming captureable), the rest is still the same and could be found in a post of mine (if I had not deleted that post), but then again everybody has their own opinion about it (eventhough the html-code is crystal clear about it, eventhough it needs some elementary school math to understand it) and some might not realize it, that some capture might fail, because a capture already happened and they were just unable to discern that, eventhough there are different images used for captured and not-captured (but downed) enemies.

Does anyone know if the manhunter trait affects the capture chance for the allied npcs or only mc?
Only mc (info given, as I am fairly certain, that I have not written about that directly in the past).

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
Suddenly, the small parties start to gain some appeal. A "just followers" party it´s really cheap (228$) and yields 48 influence. You can make even a smaller party ( with only 3 followers for just 171$) and getting influence at 4$ per point it´s a very good return.
Did you check that you really get the influence? I just spoiled everyone with everything and it showed inf gain 31, below the picture, I had green check on socializing and after party check... But still got no added influence at all.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Well I was starting over for the bazillionth time and noticed that this was possible on day 1 depending on your choices despite the fact that training caps at 120 even with the dojo as far as I know. I was 10 pts short from being able to do this without Limp otherwise I wouldn't have taken it because it is quite annoying in the early game.

View attachment 3607122
Heh, I've talked myself into a lot of bad traits because I needed those damn points to make my latest 'optimum' strategy work.
I definitely understand those motives!

Is that an Enhanced start? I played with those for a while and remember thinking that it appeared with the Enhanced starts you could exceed the normal caps. I don't think it works that way with the other starts though, but I might be wrong.

I'm still playing around with all the new options before I try a Rise from the Ashes start, especially if I decide to do Ironman like I'm doing now. My most important perks for this run are Deadly Strike, Tough, Z Mark, and Manhunter.
I love Deadly Strike because it makes capturing in the early game so much easier, opponents wearing Combat Armor and above don't succumb to the whip painlessly very often. The whacked-out Space Marine in Watery Eyes and Brian Calloway often cost me a relative fortune in tendstims, but Deadly Strike makes them so much easier.

The others I've tried briefly but didn't think it worth the expense. Manhunter is kinda nice for those tough early combats where you can get a surprise capture that makes the whole rest of the battle so much less painful, but it can also cause you to get the wrong capture which can be quite irritating so I end up changing my combat tactics and that sometimes means I've got more opponents firing at me for longer than I'd prefer.

Tough is too expensive I think. It would save you in tendstims and is certainly a nice perk, but thirty points is a lot. It's two ugly disadvantages I'd rather go without.

So far my combat team is Ayden, Felix, Truls, and Kate. Ayden and Felix don't require much justification. Truls has more health than Ayden, over 100 strength, Brawler, Warrior, and Malevolent so he's a beast in melee. Kate is not very strong but she has both Brawler and Malevolent as well as Shadowborn so her health is irrelevant with her basically having her own personal built in stealth suit, so I don't even have to give her armor. She doesn't have warrior but I can train that up eventually, along with her strength.
All of them have been staples on many of my runs, this current RftA game my 'A-Team' has been Ayden, Dexter, Bud and Rebecca. For Godzilla I swapped Bud out for Truls, if that's the guy down in Watery Eyes who gets the ambush attack. We did it with Greatswords and Bud's Melee Combat and Health wasn't quite up to snuff so he got sidelined.

I did find Kate very useful early on before I got Ayden, I do like that Shadowborn ability.

Planning to add Cassius to the mix eventually but both him and the chick he's got with him initially are badasses so I'm not ready to try and capture him yet. It's day 6 in my current game and I have the stables maxed out minus the final horse upgrade. I'm not clear on whether that nixes the movement penalty from Limp or not but it does give me fast travel.
I took on Cassius in my old Rise from the Ashes run which I updated and started playing occasionally a little while back but the girl I got with him was just a standard random. No special stats, no traits outside 'Jaded.' It was that cute little ginger who has scenes so I wasn't too unhappy 'cuz her pics are hot, but I'd rather have gotten a badass like you did.

In the final analysis I just beat Godzilla with my team of Ayden and the second-stringers and did it with no reloading and nothing untoward, so I tend to think it's possible to over-weight some advantages as in the end you don't really need them to beat the toughest target in the game.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Without modifiers like manhunter, the base chance to capture someone using the whip is 90% (5% base + 85% Whipping Cane)
That's the way it used to be, but in my last few runs I've whipped literally hundreds into submission with the Cane and never failed except on the ones like Juno's captors you can never capture. I didn't take Manhunter in any of those runs.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Seamonkey

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
Yeah that's an option. Another interesting option for a Rise start could be something like this if you were ok with saving some of the bigger fights til your mercs are really pumped up to the max. I have no idea if the hardest fights are even theoretically possible with MC contributing zero damage to them, but other than combat this build could ramp up to be good at everything else fairly easily and that workshop and investment bonus is actually pretty significant. Might even be worth dropping something else to grab Manhunter just for the sale price bonus. You can't capture them yourself but your mercs can. Have never actually tried a pacifist build so far. Master Tactician would theoretically still be useful but Master of War wouldn't.

View attachment 3609993 View attachment 3609994 View attachment 3609995
I've never tried Pacifist (and probably never will) due to the extremely silly nature of it. I'm fine with beating slaves to death in my dungeon but I refuse to use any kind of violence against someone who is actively trying to kill me :rolleyes:

If it had been limited to only using blunt weapons or mc was given a cattle prod then maybe it would have been worth trying out.

As for Business competence it is kind of pointless as it only gives you a tiny bit of extra production points, which you could get a lot more by simply adding an extra workshop.

On Dying world it makes even less sense, as a single upgraded and fully staffed workshop will basically consume all resources, on the planet, within a year or so. You would effectively be paying 100+ creation points just to reach that point a little faster.

It does however provide you with good blacksmithing skills, which puts you close to the required skill levels for crafting Duraplate armors, which you can then do 3-4 times per day and sell for around 4k profit each.

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
Is that an Enhanced start? I played with those for a while and remember thinking that it appeared with the Enhanced starts you could exceed the normal caps. I don't think it works that way with the other starts though, but I might be wrong.
I frequently train stamina to 130, via basic training (trainer + push it options), and I don't even think that I have needed a dojo to do it. Disciplined trait has probably always been part of it though.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018

View attachment 3609829 View attachment 3609830

The best option I could see to also get Brainy was to drop Wildborn and take both BO and Near-Sighted which would make me a bad hunter. Not the biggest problem but would make progress with the bandits harder.
I'd say you did pretty good, you got what you wanted and while I'd take something else other than limiting Dex, it won't hurt you much. Like Porrvald I consider Debt and Unlucky to be automatic, I also put 'Gluttonous' there as I like how it forces me to keep training Stamina for the benefit of my newer slavegirls.

Regarding hunting I think if you take along some Wildborns and Loren and are Wildborn yourself you stack so many bonuses that the penalty barely hurts you. I hate Nearsighted because early on I'm going to want to fire at range sometimes and that's an ugly penalty. I also suspect it may sometimes affect shots from the forward position because in this last run I'd swear I missed a few shots after achieving 100 Ranged Combat, something that never seemed to happen before, and that's going back a long way in my case.

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
I frequently train stamina to 130, via basic training (trainer + push it options), and I don't even think that I have needed a dojo to do it. Disciplined trait has probably always been part of it though.
I was just referring to character creation and going from memory. I just checked it out, if you do a normal start you are capped at 90 but if you're playing Enhanced you can raise attributes to 130. You can even get it higher if you utilize a few naughty tricks known by veteran character-creators....

Training just about every day after the third has been part of my strategy in every single run since before Rebecca had her pic profile completed. I was initially intrigued by 'Disciplined' and the Dojo but soon found my training progress went well enough without them and cut them out of my strategy.

Last edited:

Porrvald

Sep 12, 2020
I was just referring to character creation and going from memory. I just checked it out, if you do a normal start you are capped at 90 but if you're playing Enhanced you can raise attributes to 130. You can even get it higher if you know a few naughty tricks known by veteran character-creators....
Yes, I've never had any stat above 90 on day 1.

Training just about every day after the third has been part of my strategy in every single run since before Rebecca had her pic profile completed. I was initially intrigued by 'Disciplined' and the Dojo but soon found my training progress went well enough without them and cut them out of my strategy.
Yes, in my current rise from ashes game I have actually very little use for Disciplined and would probably have been happier with 30 more points on Manipulate skill. On the other hand... Starting with 80 manipulate skill is probably making it a little too easy to just tell new slaves to get into the dungeon.

Seamonkey

Oct 24, 2017
That's the way it used to be, but in my last few runs I've whipped literally hundreds into submission with the Cane and never failed except on the ones like Juno's captors you can never capture. I didn't take Manhunter in any of those runs.
I always take manhunter in my runs so I can't really dispute that. It is possible, albeit extremely unlikely, that you have just had a absurdly good run of luck.

If it is the case that this has been changed then the table on the wiki needs to be updated.

4.50 star(s) 115 Votes