VN Ren'Py Dark Dimensions: A Spiritual Successor - Pre-Production Discussion

errte13

Oct 6, 2020
Preview of our working Alpha Build & Combat System! Check it out here:
Looks good, the UI looks sleek. Color change = dimension is a nice touch, I suppose that means we'll go the ghost zone often?
Boss was a sexy succubus, does winning means some sexy scene?
Fighting mechanic seems okay, dunno about what to feel. I'll know for myself when I test it.

errte13

Oct 6, 2020
What change?
It's a new game.
It's a new game, but may old fans of AP may have the expectation things will be the same in the new game? Like the fighting gameplay, AP was turn based RPG, with stats. Stuff like that

Morah SDG

Development Consultant & Revision's Supervisor
Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
It's a new game, but may old fans of AP may have the expectation things will be the same in the new game? Like the fighting gameplay, AP was turn based RPG, with stats. Stuff like that
We’d very much like to improve and simplify a lot from the previous title this team worked on, and we simply felt putting more of our dedicated and complex coding into the actual sandbox and dating aspects would be better than focusing too much on combat. Now, the combat will improve and evolve, this is only one of the first looks at combat as it stands.

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
Preview of our working Alpha Build & Combat System! Check it out here:
Yeah... Like some of the other folks pointed out, this will take some time to get used to. The thing with old fighting model is ... or rather - was that you had to think about it, and predict which approach would work the best.

Where on the other hand, this one is all about precision or luck. All in all not saying that it's bad, just that it will take some time to get used to it.

Reactions: Morah SDG

errte13

Oct 6, 2020
As mentioned in the video itself, the art is simply some generated art for the sake of placeholding, not a reflection of how the game will actually look.
Yeah I read that, but since the boss depicted some monster girl rather than another ghost, maybe a feature like that is planned, so I thought to ask for clarification. Lewd scenes would come from courting girls like dating sims I suppose?

Reactions: Morah SDG

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Yeah I read that, but since the boss depicted some monster girl rather than another ghost, maybe a feature like that is planned, so I thought to ask for clarification. Lewd scenes would come from courting girls like dating sims I suppose?
Could be for specific instances, but in general, most likely the latter.

Reactions: errte13

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
I am curious though, from what I've seen in the video, it should be possible to skip the fight altogether, for those who do not wish to mess around with fighting mechanics ... right?

And while I'm already talking about game mechanics, I would like to use the opportunity & perhaps explain why I loved the old one better in greater detail. Because, simply saying "oh, I loved the old one better" doesn't really help much, if anything really.

Thing is, the old one actually made you think up ahead. Let's say you had a powerful enemy for example, that is all fully charged up & ready to take on you in the next turn. So you're obviously not going to whack it with the fist, exposing yourself & taking in a lot of damage - the most logical approach would be to protect yourself and wait for their charged-up state to drain before confronting them.

Furthermore, about leveling up your powers... Again, you had to think up ahead, which of the areas are going to be your top priority. Healing, attacking or improving effectiveness? So the whole thing, the entire process was actually a strategy game, which was part of the fun, at least for me. Where on the other hand, this new one seems more like whacking your keyboard randomly and hoping for the best outcome.

Last edited:

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
It's been couple of days now. Any news on the upcoming art piece? Or is it still cooking?
It's like 85% done. I've seen it, line work and coloring are all completely done on the 85% of everything, but Psymind left one part left that was pretty big to line and color. AND, I'm trying to convince him to do an additional little detail of a "Signature" that he worries will make the image too busy. I've already written the post for it though, we just need him to finalize that 15%.

lordtoto

Aug 7, 2017
Gentlemen, it's time for a rant from my part! A good and a very deserved one! I am very angry! :WutFace: ....Nah just me being a buffon with good subjections.

One thing that could be nice, could be a more present Jazz. Having her more present and develop a deeper bond with danny than a second class npc would give us the players (men of culture! :sneaky:) something we always wanted and never got.

It's like nintendo not giving us mother 3! why?whyyyy?
sorry about that, I just wanted to rant a little. :4Head:

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
Gentlemen, it's time for a rant from my part! A good and a very deserved one! I am very angry! :WutFace: ....Nah just me being a buffon with good subjections.

One thing that could be nice, could be a more present Jazz. Having her more present and develop a deeper bond with danny than a second class npc would give us the players (men of culture! :sneaky:) something we always wanted and never got.

It's always about the 3rd one, isn't it? Mother 3, Portal 3, Half-Life 3 ... it's a world-wide conspiracy, I tell you! Let's just hope that we never have to face Dark Dimensions 3, otherwise I'd get REALLY upset :unsure:

lordtoto

Aug 7, 2017
It's always about the 3rd one, isn't it? Mother 3, Portal 3, Half-Life 3 ... it's a world-wide conspiracy, I tell you! Let's just hope that we never have to face Dark Dimensions 3, otherwise I'd get REALLY upset :unsure:
They say, if you repeat 3 times in front of a mirror, the name of a certain someone. Something good mind happen. :sneaky:

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018

I'm just copying what I said from the Discord a couple days ago:

"One plot point I believe we’ll totally explore is Jazz’s desire to bring family’s together (having come from a very weird and wild one herself), and so we think she’d pursue 'Social psychology' and she’d ask Ishiyama to serve as an interim 'counselor' in Spectra’s old office. That way the game could explore various topics and discussions we think would be important for Danny to discuss. Stuff like the weight of his responsibility as a hero, their sibling relationship, the internal doubts he may have about dating seeing several women. It’d be a fun way to build up their relationship over time as well in a kinda sitcom comedy way."