• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Do people actually like renamable MCs?

Jul 29, 2019
Whenever I download an H-game off here, hit "New Game," and get met with a prompt asking me to name the main character, I can't help but groan, because I know it means that all mentions of the MC's name are just find-and-replace. I feel like it instantly limits the game's capacity for good character writing, because it means other characters can't have meaningful nicknames or pet names—a problem which is especially bad for incest games, given it means either your own family refers to you by your full name at all times, or everyone on the planet is on a casual first-name basis with you.

What's even worse is when there's no default name provided besides "Player" or "Anon", so I have to try and come up with a name for myself. I try to match the general tone of the setting—fantasy names for fantasy games, sci-fi names for sci-fi games—but if I get it wrong, I'm stuck with a Lytherix in a world of Johns or a Dennis in a world of Trimblors. That's not even mentioning how easy it is for you to accidentally pick a name that's already taken by another character in the game!

Given what feels to me like the obvious drawbacks of having a renamable protagonist, I guess I have to ask if there's a reason they're all over the place in H-games. Do other people besides me actually like them? Do you all name your MCs after yourselves? To me, unless the MC of a game was a truly faceless harem-anime Protag-kun, it would just feel odd to name my player character after myself, not immersive. Do other people feel the same?

kytee

Dec 17, 2018
I think I prefer this than to, say, play as a character whose name is my Dad's name in real life, or my brother's name in real life, or that asshole who used to bully me in real life, etc etc. I'd happily give up the MC being called a nickname based off of his name if it meant I can avoid that.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
there's zero chance a dev who default names a character as 'anon' or 'player' could ever give them good names. at best they'll give everybody stripper names, which is just an awful idea.

also there's nothing stopping you from having nicknames, you just need to define them along with the new names. my characters use different names for same person according to their own personality.

although I must say it often seems much less useful than I originally thought, and I've mostly dropped using the nicks. it just has that weird 'insisting on itself' vibe just like using 'Gods' instead of 'God'. distracting and awkward, it makes reader stop to wonder what's going on when he should be skimming over.

Reactions: chucklefuckarbys

KaeruVN

Game Developer
Feb 9, 2024
I can see your point, it can break the immersion in a game, because the name you choose can be very out of place in games that take place in a fantasy world or in a different country.
I can't speak for other devs myself, but I only added it to my VN, because I am going with a completely blank character and like Kytee said, some people can have bad associations with certain names.
I do much prefer when games have a diceroll that gives you random names that fit the setting.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I make parody games, and the MC's name is actually important in some of them. However, people did go as far as making mods to rename them anyway, even going as far as a list of names since that specific MC went by different names.
In general, if a MC's name is truly important to the story, it won't be changeable but that's very rarely the case.

When it's not necessary, it's much better to have a choice rather than not having one. In my current project, you can change the MC's name and nickname from the settings at anytime, no "What's your name?" prompt at the beginning of the game, and if you regret your choice, you can always change or put it back to default.
I'm sure most people just leave the default, but for those few that want a different name, they have the option to do so.

Dontforget666

Sep 6, 2023
I have a nick name my friends call me and i use it everywhere. It's good because i know it refers to me and it won't get too personal whatever game i play. Easier that having a different name every game.

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Whenever I download an H-game off here, hit "New Game," and get met with a prompt asking me to name the main character, I can't help but groan, because I know it means that all mentions of the MC's name are just find-and-replace. I feel like it instantly limits the game's capacity for good character writing, because it means other characters can't have meaningful nicknames or pet names
Don't really see how naming your character "bob" is going to stop the npc's from calling you tripod as a nickname or pumpkin as a pet name?

a problem which is especially bad for incest games, given it means either your own family refers to you by your full name at all times, or everyone on the planet is on a casual first-name basis with you.
How many incest games have you played that come without a default name? which makes the rest of this point rather strange.

If the default is "fred" and you choose not to rename your character, your family and the "everyone on the planet" will call you fred. If you choose to rename to "bob" the same will happen, can't really see how it is any different, plus if you choose to name your character "bob martin mcdoogle jr" then that is kind of on you....

Duke Greene

Feb 6, 2018
If the MC is meant to be a self-insert it makes sense to allow the player to rename them. Also makes sense in games with character creation. For MCs who are their own character it's whatever unless the game is actually fully voiced, at which point it becomes a detriment.

aereton

Mar 9, 2018
To me, unless the MC of a game was a truly faceless harem-anime Protag-kun, it would just feel odd to name my player character after myself, not immersive. Do other people feel the same?
No I don't. All characters I play as must be named Steve Yugedick - petname: Daddy. Simple as. :BootyTime:

Best way to make everyone happy is to:
  • Use a default name
  • Not only ask for input for first and last name, but also for pet names by different characters
  • Use those variables when appropriate; have some characters address you formally, others informally, based on relationship and situation
VNs are still interactive media, it makes perfect sense for players to have control over what the character they are playing as is called. Just as I want to be able to make choices.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sole and KuClover

HelloGemini

Apr 26, 2024
It depends on the genre and the story of the game.

If it's a sandbox game where players have a lot of freedom to decide the storyline and the personality of their character, allowing them to choose the character's name can enhance their immersion and give them a greater sense of ownership over the character.

However, if the character's personality is already defined by the developer, letting the player choose the character's name might detract from the experience.

For example, allowing the player to name a character "Bambi" wouldn't make sense if the character is a lawyer.

TAGELD

May 18, 2019
I can see your point, it can break the immersion in a game, because the name you choose can be very out of place in games that take place in a fantasy world or in a different country.
It can also not be that. If you don't want your character to have a name that doesn't fit a setting or whatever, don't give him a name that doesn't fit the setting or whatever. Not that hard, dude.

Beatrix Kiddo

Donor
Aug 25, 2016
Yes I do. I think all mc should be renamable. And even for all main cast characters, if only for people who might have a problem with specific names for personal circumstances. And provide default names for people who doesn't care.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
It wouldn't be such a widespread feature if they didn't.

Also what do you mean your family calling you by your full name? What else would they call you if not your name?

aereton

Mar 9, 2018
What else would they call you if not your name?
I think he means that if someone's named for example Benjamin, his sister wouldn't call him that most likely, she would probably call him Ben or similar

doesn't work for all names of course, but I think it's more common in English speaking countries

gloomurai

Apr 22, 2024
Whenever I download an H-game off here, hit "New Game," and get met with a prompt asking me to name the main character, I can't help but groan, because I know it means that all mentions of the MC's name are just find-and-replace. I feel like it instantly limits the game's capacity for good character writing, because it means other characters can't have meaningful nicknames or pet names—a problem which is especially bad for incest games, given it means either your own family refers to you by your full name at all times, or everyone on the planet is on a casual first-name basis with you.

What's even worse is when there's no default name provided besides "Player" or "Anon", so I have to try and come up with a name for myself. I try to match the general tone of the setting—fantasy names for fantasy games, sci-fi names for sci-fi games—but if I get it wrong, I'm stuck with a Lytherix in a world of Johns or a Dennis in a world of Trimblors. That's not even mentioning how easy it is for you to accidentally pick a name that's already taken by another character in the game!

Given what feels to me like the obvious drawbacks of having a renamable protagonist, I guess I have to ask if there's a reason they're all over the place in H-games. Do other people besides me actually like them? Do you all name your MCs after yourselves? To me, unless the MC of a game was a truly faceless harem-anime Protag-kun, it would just feel odd to name my player character after myself, not immersive. Do other people feel the same?
there is no way I'm playing as a character named Jennifer or Frederick so yes I prefer renamable mcs.