Unreal Engine Hilichurl's Girl [v0.0.23] [LilCocogoat]

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes

Erinyina

Aug 27, 2020
I ADORE the concept, more female pov is great. The lighting is pretty bad though, I know it's supposed to be scary, but you can't see anything even when you're caught.

• Sad
Reactions: LilCocogoat

LilCocogoat

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2024
I found 2 from the monster, how do you get the other 2?

EDIT: NVM, looks like it's just random which the monster does.

Anyways, game looks great so far, though the lack of any cum animation as far as I can tell detracts a bit. Looking forward to seeing where this goes though, I like the female pov.
Last 2 with hilichurls

LilCocogoat

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2024
People have already commented on the brightness, but I would like to point out the sound. The monsters are really pretty quiet, and their noises are short ranged, so I only notice them when I aggro them. This means that

1. they aren't keeping me on edge, as I just sorta trip over them, rather than knowing they're present, while trying to avoid them.

and 2. I can't tell where they are. Even when chasing I can barely hear them.

If the enemy audio was more useful, then the darkness would work better (it's still too extreme rn imo, though), as I could use the audio to tell what direction they're in, and avoid them that way, instead of seeing them.

This would also mean that I would have only vague knowledge of where they are, helping tension, and wouldn't need to look at them to have any clue what's happening (there isn't much "this thing is breathing down my neck, I've gotta bolt", since I could've left the thing behind ages ago, but have no idea.) As things are, I'm often completely blindsided when I get hit, as they are pretty much silent, then it's suddenly game over.

I also think the enemies' design makes the darkness a bigger problem, as they blend in really easily.

If you haven't, I recommend looking at/ playing The Forest as, while often overly bright (it is much more an action game), it makes very good use of enemy audio, and enemies are a little shiny (and usually pretty lightly coloured to boot), which makes them easier to make out as they're attacking you, even when you only have your short ranged lighter to see. (Alien Isolation also benefits from having the xenomorph be shiny.)
Thank you so much, fellow, that is really good advice for me. Thanks again!

Jun 11, 2017
Really appreciate it being pov for sex scenes too. I've seen too many female protag games that are in first person, then suddenly when you get to the sex animation it just pulls you out to a 3rd person scene or from the aggressor's perspective.

Having a switch of camera would be good for those who want it, but I like the focus. My only real complaint so far is what the others have been saying in that it is a bit too dark, and i cant notice all too much of a difference between torch upgrades. It's marginal and you still largely cant see too much in front of you.

I do wonder what kind of goal this game has in how its shaping up. Like what a completed version would look like. Exploration of different zones and progressing through them all? Income management sim where you have to keep up with demands of hilichurls? No idea, but I like the overall concept.

Kiloman322332d2

Sep 7, 2022
While I didn't enjoy Genshin itself, I can really appreciate this game. Very few games get the balance right when it comes to horror and h-scenes and it was really effective in both regards, at least at first. The random-ness of which scene you get is a little annoying and having to fail over and over to see the Hilichurl scenes wasn't exactly thrilling. On the horror side of things, there was a severe lack of challenge. After I realized that the enemies are, to be blunt, dumb as a bag of bricks and with their mechanics being pretty hard to identify to boot, running around like a headless chicken quickly turned into the most effective strategy.

I really, really like what you have got going here, especially it being POV the whole way through and being able to turn the camera during H-Scenes. That plus the horror theming and the interesting set-up for a story will have me watching this project! So I want to put my two ideas for what you might be able to do to improve this project further out there, for your no-pressure consideration:

The enemies being hard to figure out is a blessing in disguise. Lean further into it by giving them complex behavior, but before that you should definitely hone their pathfinding and AI a bit. They often get stuck, lose track of where you are and even lock up entirely. Once you iron out the bugs, I feel like these guys can be really effective if you make them hard to predict. I couldn't figure out for the longest time if they hate my light, or are drawn to it, if looking at them or away from them is better, etc. Confusing the player with their behavior by changing it up frequently will put them in the shoes of the character and make it all the more terrifying.

The ingredients all feel more or less the same at the moment, not considering the price. Sure they look and spawn slightly differently, but they serve the same purpose. This could be changed with a bartering system and consistent spawn patterns. Relegate particular plants to particular areas of the map or even to one specific map and then have one of the Churls send the protagonist off to get a number of a specific kind of plant, in exchange for more currency or exclusive upgrades/scenes/map unlocks. From there you could even tie enemies to those locations, forcing the player to enter a very hostile area of a map to find a certain type of plant, or scripted encounters with creatures.

I'm sorry for the long rant but I hope my ramblings are of use to you!

4.00 star(s) 4 Votes