3D-Blender Looking for some custom character feedback

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Hello,

As I wanted to learn blender a bit more I tackled creating a custom character for a game i'm working in. Its going quite well, and overall i'm rather happy with the result but there is for sure room for improvements. Especially her stomach area and hips feel a bit off; I went for a muscular tone, but I properly went a bit to far with it, and her bottom feels a bit to masculine.

I have tried changing it a bit, but to no avail. It always just feels a bit off. I was hoping somebody here got some feedback on how to solve the issue, and maybe see some other (anatomy) mistakes I could work on. Ignore the genitalia part (havent finished that yet) and the lightning set-up (legs are a bit under- lid)

Thanks in advance

Test.png

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
Without a profile, it's hard to say for sure, but I think the pelvis is too thin (front to back). If you want a realistic skeleton look, the skeleton is going to be the foundation, so having smoothness or indentation where the bones should be is going to be pushing into the uncanny valley.

Untitled-2.jpg

So, the pelvis is a bowl; the bones will push out both where the green circle is (accurate) and on the front of the body going towards the genitals (until about halfway, assuming you aren't anorexic). The only way to cover this particular body part up is with fat, since the musculature simply doesn't extend far enough (there are muscles there, but they aren't pronounced enough to remove the contour of the bone). You also have a lack of sternum, which again is something that muscles rarely conceal. Basically, your solar plexus is a vulnerable part of your core because the rib cage and the abdominal muscles fail to properly enclose the area directly under your sternum (and again, this particular bone can only be covered by fat, and there is an indent directly under it for people with low body fat percentages).

I considered marking the shoulders, but I'm just not entirely sure about it. It's been too long since I took anatomy for life drawing and I just don't remember... Basically, muscles can widen certain parts of the skeleton (shoulder blades, for example), which gives the impression of a larger frame. I'm sure this is at least partially true for shoulders, but I have a feeling that the actual joints won't be shifting with additional muscle mass (but the widening of the shoulder blades will push the shoulder joints forward). That said, for most people, the ball joints of the shoulder are only slightly wider than the ball joints of the hips, so if the upper torso looks a little bit off for you, consider pulling the start of the shoulders a little bit closer to center.

Cheers.

Reactions: Synx

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Try messing with hourglass and voluptuous morphs. She could use just a bit more curve between the hips and the waist. Maybe the hip bone morph as well, to define the top of her hip bone area a bit better.

The hourglass thing might help a bit with the ribcage to abdomen curve. Note that I'm not suggesting a wasp waist here, just trying to introduce a bit of curve to her toso, to break up the straight lines.

Voluptuous can also increase breast size, depending on which voluptusous morph you are using. If so, you may need to dial the breasts back a bit afterwords if you want to keep them about that size.

You may need to widen the waist a bit afterwords, remember the goal here is to introduce a bit of curve to the hips and ribcage area.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for your advice, I will try updating the model tonight and see how it looks like. But just to be sure I understood you correctly, I should push the area just under the breasts (the middle circle) a bit back to create the sternum. Then check the sideview if the pelvis shape is to flat. Reading your description I'm sure I have made her stomach a bit to flat and should puf it up a bit.

As for the shoulders, I find them alright. I struggled a bit with with the shoulder blades when I was working on it (had an hard time finding references of women with difened shoulder muscles who whereat flexing), so might make a quick render from that angle and get some feedback as well.

Try messing with hourglass and voluptuous morphs. She could use just a bit more curve between the hips and the waist. Maybe the hip bone morph as well, to define the top of her hip bone area a bit better.

The hourglass thing might help a bit with the ribcage to abdomen curve. Note that I'm not suggesting a wasp waist here, just trying to introduce a bit of curve to her toso, to break up the straight lines.

Voluptuous can also increase breast size, depending on which voluptusous morph you are using. If so, you may need to dial the breasts back a bit afterwords if you want to keep them about that size.

You may need to widen the waist a bit afterwords, remember the goal here is to introduce a bit of curve to the hips and ribcage area.
Its in blender, and I assume those morphs you are talking about are in Daz3d. The whole model just consists out of faces I can just move independently to achieve what your talking about. Changing hip size doesnt effect the waist or breast size.

Anyawy I think the lack of hipbone definition comes from the to flat shaped pelvis Nillamello was talking about. As for the hip size I was thinking it could use a bit more curve, but though it might came from her current pose. I haven't rigged her yet so cant' just change it unfortunately.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Oops, I missed the blender part!

No, I'm talking about the sides of her waist and ribcage, not the front to back. Although, adding a bit of curvature to her belly so that it isn't as flat might not be a bad idea either. Note I"m not talking by a lot, just enough to add a bit of definition/visual interest.

I have no idea how her derriere looks of course, as you didn't show that, so no suggestions there obviously.

nillamello

Game Developer
Oct 11, 2018
Yeah, if you feel the base of your chest, there's a bone between the pectorals that doesn't have any substantial muscle between it and the skin, that would be the sternum. So, depending on which looks better, either elevating that portion or indenting the section directly under it (again if you feel your own chest and push in just under your own sternum you'll feel some discomfort, which is your solar plexus, which is basically a bundle of nerves that connects all the squishy bits under your ribcage). The less fat you have, the more pronounced the indent (this is also a more individual aspect of anatomy, as some people have abdominals that extend higher on the torso than others, just like some people have abdominal muscles that 'split' into more sections than others).

This is an that has what I'm talking about, using a model with less muscle mass. There are lots of options for how you add the bones, since you have a good start.

Lust Demon

Apr 22, 2018
The base problem that sticks out to me is that the hip to shoulder ratio is off. If it's meant to be a woman, rather than a trans (nothing wrong with that BTW), then the hips are too narrow in proportion to the rest of the model. The pelvis itself, needs to be widened. Without going into a long spiel, the narrow pelvis screams "dude".

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Thanks for all your feedback. I have changed some parts, and it definitely looks better. Her stomach still feels a bit to muscular. I think her waist and rib cage area should be a bit smaller, but not entirely sure on that. I added a side and back view this time. The back still requires some work as well I guess. The shoulder muscles should properly be a bit more toned.

overall quite happy with hos she is turning out. Just got to do a bit of texture updating around her genitalia area, add some pubic hair, and properly work a bit on the hair on her head (left side of her hair need some more volume behind her ear I think, and get rid of the bald spots on her back).

Thanks again for your help.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.