[R>Artist 3D] [R>Programmer] [R>Writer] Share Looking for someone to collab with on a VN concept based on RL material (programmers/3D artists/etc)

rforest1

Oct 21, 2020
Project: Un-named Concept for a VN looking for collaborators

- None….as yet. The fact is that I’m a retired military NCO with over 30+ years in the military/gov’t and I have an idea to take some snippets of things that I saw over the years and tie them all together into a visual novel that follows an MC, or possibly 2, through quite a number of chapters along his career path. I don’t want to go into details but this would be based in large part on my own experiences as well as those I know of from other people. From humorous to sometimes tragic real life scenarios I have a lot of material to pull from. The reason that there could be 2 MCs is that I had a room-mate for 9 years....we got into quite a bit of shit together. When we get together and talk I'm still amazed both of us retired without spending significant amounts of time behind bars.

I’ll just say this. College dorm life has nothing on a military dorm full of adrenaline junkies that put their lives on the line and then get crammed into dorm style living with people of the opposite sex. Any halfway decent-looking soldier/airman/marine (dare I say….seaman?) that’s in their mid to early 20s will have a body count higher than anything a college senior can imagine. That’s if they’re single and being honest. Worst moment in my relationship with my spouse before we got married was when she asked me mine and I said I didn’t know. I knew….roughly. I just didn’t want to tell her. I liked her and wanted to get married after all.

NOTE: Yes I told her, no she didn’t like it, yes she got over it…as much as any woman ever will which means I still hear about it over 20 years after telling her. So much for “I just want to know, babe. I promise that it won’t change a thing”. I'm no Wilt Chamberlain by any means but watching people on Tik Tok flip out over 8 or 9 is kinda funny…and also makes me wonder htf I survived.

As far as source material…. one example (SFW) would be a deployment overseas where we were flying in the back of a C-130 that was transporting blocks of, I shit you not, dry ice at 30k feet when the autopilot kicks off (reason I mention the dry ice is that at 30k feet in a mostly unheated cargo plane it gets f’n cold and stays there). The pilot was in the bathroom, co-pilot was taking a nap, so the only person in the cockpit was the navigator. Plane immediately takes a nose dive. Ever heard of the Vomit Comet? That’s what this plane became. I was in the back smoking (back when we could) with a Maj from a platoon that was traveling the same plane when he just looked at me and said “Son, grab that pipe over your head”. We were both about 4’ off the cargo floor at this point. Navigator finally gets to the controls and pulls back on them and everyone who wasn’t buckled into their jump seat came crashing down. Fortunately, only one person was somewhat seriously hurt. He had been racked out in the jump seats catching some sleep when this happened and, once gravity resumed, he fell down and snapped his thigh on a rail. Unfortunately, he was the platoon’s medic. Pilot in the can wasn’t hurt but he did come out looking like William Wallace from Braveheart with that blue crap (pun intended) all over his face from the chem toilet.

Another example (NSFW) would be taking a smoke break and stretching my legs outside then coming around a tree at 0’dark-thirty on a mid-shift to a Captain’s tits bouncing free in her shirt as she rode an airman cowgirl. I stopped, she froze, we locked eyes, I took a pull from my cigarette and said “Ma’am”, turned around and walked back to the smoke pit, snubbed my butt and went back inside. Was interesting passing her in the hallways after that (quite a bit more to that story but not gonna give it up here).

After 30+ years I have more than enough source material to pull from for this to be a huge project that could really help fill up some of this retirement time I’m currently on as well as generate some revenue for everyone involved. I’ve given this some thought and, while it isn’t on paper, I have roughly 5-6 chapters mapped out in my head at the moment. If this post generates any interest in the community I could put it down on paper rather quickly.

Developer:

- Me as a writer, predominantly. However, I have an IT background and I found out about VNs when I started dabbling with 3d modeling. I’ve kicked around the idea of trying to learn how to do all of the modeling but I’m just not that good at it. I can generate some half-way decent renders and my rig isn’t that bad but…lighting. Fuck me. But when it comes to writing….I’m not half bad. Not saying I would need to be the only writer on the project but I have what it takes to get it done if I am. Never hurts to have someone to bounce dialogue/ideas off of though.

. Would love to find a collaborative bunch who can take my ideas and help me put them down into a VN that captures what I have in my head. If we do this, and it turns into something it would be on a shared/collaborative venture as equals or however it breaks down. More than willing to discuss this with people who are interested.

Looking for:

- R>3D Artist - Need someone to generate the art and assets. I see this as something along the lines of what DrPinkCake or MrDots has done. Just a general idea of who has impressed me so far in the way that their story lines can branch off and lead to various endings/outcomes. That and I like quite a few of the models they use. This will be based on a military life-style overall so I'm not looking for bunch of exagerated models when it comes to the body shapes that will be used. Doesn't mean a one or two off isn't allowed...just rather it look realistic when it comes down to it.

- R>Programmer - Coder – someone who can handle the branching paths/choices that an MC can take and just generally make it playable/navigable for those who want to try it. I have some scenarios already in my head that, depending on an MCs choices can either progress the story with someone of the opposite sex or not. Depending on how that works it can lead to a lot of nookie one way and zip on another.

-R>Writer - Yeah, I can write but...never hurts to have another that can help with dialogue and what not. Seinfeld wouldn't have been successful without Larry David. Fact.

- R>Other– I have no idea what else…that’s what the team is for. Someone with experience can help me figure all of that out. Teamwork makes the dreamwork and all of that kinda crap.

Employment Type:

Share – Once we have a team together, we can work to hash out how we’d get this done so it’s equitable for all involved.

Work commitment:

- Long-term / Part time / Full time

Me? I’m mostly retired. I have a lot of free time these days. And like I said before, I’m not totally ignorant when it comes to modelling and I can also help with the generation of renders. I’m just not good enough to do it on my own. And while I’m more of a sysadm I do have some limited coding capabilities and am willing to learn/pitch in as needed. But I would prefer to collab with those that know what they’re doing so that this takes less time to go from concept to actual VN. Left to my own devices this would take roughly a decade to get done. Rather see movement within a year or so.

So having folks that come into the project with the idea that this is something that could take quite awhile to do and have the dedication to see it through while generating some side income would be great. Not only that….but I have other ideas as well. Several in fact so if this one works out we wouldn’t necessarily be a “one and done” kinda group. I can see a future where this becomes a full time gig going forward.

FWIW I'm based out on the east coast of the US. Time however is fluid. I'm more of a night owl than I am anything else so I'm open, to an extent, to people in other time-zones/countries.

Preferred method of contact:

- Discord would be my preferred method of contact on this. Doesn’t mean we can’t use something else if needed but Discord seems to cover all the bases. I have NOT set up an account yet for Discord as yet. For now I'm just testing the waters to see if anyone out there actually read this opus and is interested. If I do get some interest I'll setup a discord account and server for discussion.

Job Description:

Let’s be honest here. I’m looking for a partner or partners here. I’m not looking for flakes, prima donna’s, loners, or anyone that is going to try to come in and run roughshod over me or anyone else on the team (see, already looking at us that way and it’s just me, myself and I). This would be, and should be, a group effort of people that come together to work as one in order to build a great VN that others will enjoy.

Additional comments:

I like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain.

rforest1

Oct 21, 2020
Just to clarify, I'm not looking to put out a hard-core military type VN. This is more about the shennanigans we got up to on our own time. More leaning towards humorous/NSFW content than a military jargon-laden or serious type of work.

nonomo

Game Developer
May 2, 2019
It could help if you clarify a few things :
tags : What type of NSFW content have you planned ?
content of the game : Is it just a VN ? Will the choices lead to vastly different scenarios or just change the actual scene ?
make it playable/navigable
Navigable as in sandbox or would it just have some free roaming at some point in the story ?

Will there be gameplay elements or just text and renders/CGs ?

The more info you give the more chances you put on your side.
Also, what engine would you like to be in ?
Lastely, searching for so many person will be hard. You said you are a writer and that you know about 3D. Maybe you should also take the art part and just search for a programmer. A lot of programmers know at least a bit how to write.
Well it's just my opinion here.

Last edited:
Reactions: rforest1

rforest1

Oct 21, 2020
It could help if you clarify a few things :
tags : What type of NSFW content have you planned ?
content of the game : Is it just a VN ? Will the choices lead to vastly different scenarios or just change the actual scene ?
Hey, thanks for the input. In regards to tags....yeah I'll add some. I just hadn't decided on a few so I didn't list anything as yet.

As regards the choices and what not....I do see branching story lines that lead to different outcomes based off decisions a player would make with the MC(s) during gameplay. I was thinking that the references I made to MrDots and DrPinkCake would cover the playstyle I was looking for but I could have explained it better. However, since this will be a collaborative thing I'd still like for input from any others that might be interested in working on this. As I stated i'm not a coder/programmer but I know enough that the more elaborate you make the storyline the more backend you're going to need to keep track of it all.

Maybe you should also take the art part and just search for a programmer.
Really not an option....trust me. I've dabbled in Daz3d. Enough to know that while I could take something someone else has built and maybe...just maybe...manipulate it a little bit I am by no means good enough to try to build out the sets/scenes/scenarios that would be required for even a basic storyline. You'd have a grey space with two talking heads and that's about it.

I do appreciate your input, and the time you took, to provide it tho. Every little step and thought in the process is one forward.

nonomo

Game Developer
May 2, 2019
I was thinking that the references I made to MrDots and DrPinkCake would cover the playstyle I was looking for but I could have explained it better.
It's not that I didn't get it the first time, but who knows maybe the artist you'll click with hasn't really played those games ? You never know.
Really not an option....trust me.
Alright, I was just guessing something as recruiting more than one person for a project that has nothing done yet (No offense) might be difficult.

As I stated i'm not a coder/programmer but I know enough that the more elaborate you make the storyline the more backend you're going to need to keep track of it all.
Backend/code really is the easy part when talking about choices. Trust me. The problem comes from the art as depending of the choices it could double/triple their work. You mustn't take writing easily either. Thinking of every choices possible might be hard and it could also bring a lot of work.

Again, it's just my opinion, I don't have innate knowledge on the subject, you take it how you want.

Last edited:

0gZeda

Sep 22, 2022
SOL (Slice-Of-Life)/drama-induced stories remain very popular. Are you willing to offer something for writing? If so, let us know. Do you have discord or an email contact?