Modding Content back into games

grev

Modder
Jun 10, 2017
First off I apologize for making yet another thread in relation to the hot topic of the week, however I felt it different enough from the overall discussions going on to warrant its own home.

With the restrictions going up and the creators having to edit the incest and other things out of their games i thought it might be a good idea for modders to rally together to prepare to mod the content back in. In a lot of games like DMD and DOD (dana or desire) most of the changes would be to the story rather than the artwork. ( though i am sure some artwork changes may come along ) so it would be a fairly simple matter for us to go in and mod the scripts back to the way it was originally intended.

I welcome thoughts opinions and suggestions

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK grev, I've been working with one of the developers around here (using RenPy) that has already set up his game so that the 'official patreon version' has the basic story, and the developer has an 'enhanced version' that is made available via forums such as this one. It's actually not all that hard to do.

So I think right now the best bet for developers that end up 'whitewashing' their games is to make the enhanced versions available elsewhere, while not advertising publicly the availability of those enhanced versions on Patreon channels. As for what us modders can do, well if we have the 'old content' available, you can try to 'merge' the stories again, but of course at some point in the story if the developer isn't generating new renders those will either not happen or have to be generated by modders.

My recommendation is, for your favorite games if the developer isn't doing what I suggested already, to see if that developer is willing to colllaborate with you on releasing an 'enhanced version'. This may even provide them a different channel/personage to release the 'enhanced content', giving them a 'public' way to have deniability r.e. said enhanced mod.

Anyways, food for thought.

Another thing that developers can do is repurpose their patreon as 'artistic render sharing' sites, if they aren't allowed to post the 'uncensored' version of their game on their patreon, and don't want to 'strip down' their games. This would at least allow their current patrons to continue supporting them, and they could contact said patrons via email letting them know where to find the game (say via this forum) if not allowed on Patreon. Not a perfect solution, but as long as everyone understands that they are supporting the artist, not the game, well again at least as far as patreon is concerned they are meeting the letter of the guidelines. The donors will have 'ulterior motives', but again if it sees a game through completion, whatever works.

Also, they can mention their patreon on sites such as this, saying, 'if you like my game, I really would appreciate you supporting my artistic works on Patreon.'

This may reduce the stream of future donors, 'cuz they can't see the nekkid bits on Patreon anymore, but at least it's a way forward, while the developer works on developing other channels to support their project.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Another thing that developers can do is repurpose their patreon as 'artistic render sharing' sites, if they aren't allowed to post the 'uncensored' version of their game on their patreon, and don't want to 'strip down' their games. This would at least allow their current patrons to continue supporting them, and they could contact said patrons via email letting them know where to find the game (say via this forum) if not allowed on Patreon.
No need to go this far. Their actual use of Patreon seem a misconception for me since they put all their content on it.
Take the incontestable number 1 on patreon, it's a youtube guy. His content is not on patreon, why should it be different because you're an adult game creator ? So, they open a blog, or a forum (better option since you can have content for patreon only more easily than with a blog), and that's where all their content goes.
On their patreon page, they are creators of adult games. Or even just creator of adult content since most of the time the reward is some rendered screen. As long as they don't put incest/rape/whatever content on their patreon page, I don't think that they go against the rules. They just need to put a link to their blog and that's all.
That what Simbro team do by example. The patreon page only have generic talk and generic pictures. Looking at the patreon page, you barely know that it's adult content. In the same time, all the release are published on the blog.