Problem with DAZ studios render screen size

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
For some reason my render screen went from normal size to a smaller size and I'm not sure how to change it back.

The daz screen is this size.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

But the render screen size is this big.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The rendered file size was 1797 X 1007 but now it's 1317 X 845.

I know at one time show aspect frame was turned on but I ticked it off.

If anyone knows how to change it back to normal will you please tell me how? Thanks

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Ideally you should render through a camera and set the render size in the camera's properties. Rendering in perspective view has a lot of issues, like the inconsistent size of your images depending on how big your viewport is.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
MidnightArrow

I don't have a camera and was just rendering in DAZ for fun and had no problems till I must of clicking something that changed the rendering screens size. Guess if nothing can be found I'll just transfer all of my DAZ files to my file storage and then reinstall DAZ studios and hope that it will fix it.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Reinstalling Daz is way overkill. The perspective view's render size will change whenever you resize any part of Daz's GUI. There's nothing that requires you to "fix it" since you shouldn't expect perspective view to have a fixed resolution in the first place.

If you need a particular image size then just create a camera. Simple as that.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
As already said, reinstalling Daz is a pain and not necessary here. I think you're perhaps misunderstanding what 'camera' means here. You don't literally need a camera for Daz. Or do you mean bringing the menus back out? If it's the latter, then just hit any tab on the left or right side:

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

If it's the former, then just make a camera (I'd do another video but the dropdowns aren't showing up when I record, dunno why):

cam.png

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
MissFortune

I never had to make a camera as it rendered scenes in a nice big screen right out of the box till the other day.

Thanks for the help I think I got it somewhat looking better but it's still not rendering in the size I use to have. If nothing else I'll just rename the my DAZ 3D library folder to a different name and then uninstall it and reinstall it and not lose anything in the process.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
I figured out how to fix it the problem and what fucking causes it. Some DAZ building assets when loaded for the first time will force change your screens render resolution size from what you had it set at to something else. Usually they're the ones that have it set to camera view instead of perspective view.

These ones change the render screen size to something like custom. The last one that did it to me yesterday had set it to custom under the dimension preset (global) but selecting active viewpoint changed it back to the way it was. After that I locked the fucking thing by clicking on the paddle lock for it so this shit won't happen again. Now it is truly solved.

Reactions: MissFortune

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
These ones change the render screen size to something like custom. The last one that did it to me yesterday had set it to custom under the dimension preset (global) but selecting active viewpoint changed it back to the way it was.
Ah, yeah. That's pretty annoying. There are a couple Daz creators who do this more than I'd like (particularly Dreamlight's stuff on the Daz store.). But eventually you start picking up which creators do weird/uncommon stuff to their environments/scenes/cameras/sets/etc. that screws up people's workflows and are at least prepared for it. Fair warning about that lock, though. I've done the same thing and scenes have still changed the dimensions on them a few times. Just something to keep an eye on when you load them up.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
MissFortune

Thanks for the warning just to be safe I also just now clicked the save button next to the dimension preset (global) line and saved it as a preset as well.

Yeah camera viewpoint for me is annoying as each thing you do gets saved you zoom in or out it gets saved you rotate the screen it gets saved so you can't undo much if half the stuff before it was just saved rotate screens and zooms. So I turn camera viewpoint off as soon as I see it so that I can undo poses and stuff if needed without having to worry if you rotated or zoomed once too many times and can't undo back far enough.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
MissFortune

Thanks for the warning just to be safe I also just now clicked the save button next to the dimension preset (global) line and saved it as a preset as well.

Yeah camera viewpoint for me is annoying as each thing you do gets saved you zoom in or out it gets saved you rotate the screen it gets saved so you can't undo much if half the stuff before it was just saved rotate screens and zooms. So I turn camera viewpoint off as soon as I see it so that I can undo poses and stuff if needed without having to worry if you rotated or zoomed once too many times and can't undo back far enough.
Every property in Daz Studio can be locked. I've messed up plenty of shots when using a camera by accidentally moving it but I learned to just lock the position in the properties pane when I find an angle I like. That way you get both a fixed resolution and it can't be changed by accident.

myuhinny

Devoted Member
Sep 7, 2017
I never use cameras and the only time my work screen gets fucked up is when I load a new building asset and the DEV has it set to camera view instead of perspective view in that top right hand drop down tab as that is when it usually seems when my render screen gets fucked up.

It seems you can't lock the the dimension preset (global) permanently as every time you bring DAZ back up it's unlocked.