Ren'Py Unreal Engine Daz Using Daz3D models to make still scenes in Unreal Engine

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
Hi!

If you want to skip through the bottom for the question, just go the TL;DR below.

I'm currently elaborating a new lewd game of my own, with a focus on using Daz3D models, but instead of using scenes, props and Daz itself for the renders, i want to use Unreal Engine to make renders that i will then be able to use to make a Ren'py based game.

There is a few reasons as to why i want to use Unreal Engine to make my scenes and renders:
I already have experience with Unreal, since i'm an actual game dev (Although my speciality is Writing and Gameplay Design, with a background in 3D character animations) and i know well the capabilities of Unreal and believe they will allow me to make something truly different.

The ability to use AllRight Rig 2.0, which is a tool i used in the past. Would allow me to basically incorporate anything in terms of animations and expressions.

The recent Raytracing technologies and the ability to visualize in real time my scenes will be quite useful.

Among others, etc...

TL;DR: Use Daz3D for models, hairs, wearables (everything character related); Use Unreal Engine for renders and animations; Use Ren'py for the game itself.

My main question is: Does anyone know what kind of limitations there is to importing a Daz3D model and using it in Unreal Engine? Mostly things like Skin stretches, clothes manipulations, hair rendering/manipulation and graphical fidelity? I have a suspicion Daz models may be downgraded in some ways when imported into Unreal. I do not care about perfomances impacts since I won't ever use Unreal to make the game itself. It is purely a cinematic and render tool in this context.

Is there some methods/tools/plugins/options that will allow me to properly maintain features of Genesis Characters in Unreal as if they were in Daz?

Huge thanks for any help!

- Gopnik Dude

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Hey,

I have imported Daz3d Characters ( gen 8 ) in UE4.
There are a couple of problems:
Exporting genitalia and it morphs: IN my case, I took the genesis +genitalia into Maya and was able to merge them and keep some morphs. It's not looking as good as it does in Daz, but it works.
Exporting at good model quality: When exporting, export as .fbx and use a high subdivision LVL. IF not, subdivide in 3d Editing app.
Skin weights: Unreal and Daz use 2 different skin systems ( Daz is using dual quaternion system, and it looks a lot better than Ue4 linear skinning) This causes some very weird looking bending or arms, legs, etc. You could try a moded version of ue4 ( linked below ), I have tried it, but still, it looks bad for me.
Clothing and accessories: Same problem with the skinning. Also, you need to re-skin them as Daz won't export the skinning with clothing.

My advice: if you are going to do this, get someone to re-skin the characters and clothing you want to use. Ask them to use deformation morphs ( these can then be used in UE4 ) so your bending won't look so bad. It might cost you a lot, but else it will look very bad.

Reactions: GopnikDude

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
Thanks for all the answers!

So basically the main issues will be related to skinning. If i use a high subdivision perhaps it could help with reducing these problems? So adding any clothes from Daz can be an issue due to the clipping? So both need to be reskinned using the Quat or maybe there is a easier solution?

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Thanks for all the answers!

So basically the main issues will be related to skinning. If i use a high subdivision perhaps it could help with reducing these problems? So adding any clothes from Daz can be an issue due to the clipping? So both need to be reskinned using the Quat or maybe there is a easier solution?
A higher subdivision won't make a difference. I have tried and still, it looked bad when bending stuff. The problem is that Daz is using, alongside the skinning and the skeleton, some morphs called JCM ( joint conforming morphs, I think ) and those don't get exported with the model. So, to make the bending look good, you will need to recreate and implement them in UE4.
Clothing clipping can be fixed with good skinning, and you will need to use the same method for both the body and the clothing.
Have a look at this game ( you can see in the pictures the bending in the elbow region ) : https://f95zone.to/threads/lifeplay-v2-10-vinfamy.11321/#lg=post-644746&slide=11

Reactions: GopnikDude

GopnikDude

Apr 22, 2018
Ah yes! I forgot LifePlay use Daz models. The pose and bending overall look great! (At least, in my opinion).

Obviously, Lifeplay as increased technical difficulty by needing Real time playability and support in-game morphs (And being a fully fleshed out RPG game that literally simulate life), all of which would be unnecessary for my game. So i wouldn't have to worry about those, once the characters are created they will pretty much stay the same physically (Although i may include preggo content, but that is another matter and may just use a seperate model instead of "modifying" an existing one)

The hardest part will be for me to test out everything and make a workflow of my own. I have specific needs for my game and will arrange to meet them. I will make sure to give tips and feedback of my own findings. Thanks a lot!

DreamBig Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
Ah yes! I forgot LifePlay use Daz models. The pose and bending overall look great! (At least, in my opinion).

Obviously, Lifeplay as increased technical difficulty by needing Real time playability and support in-game morphs (And being a fully fleshed out RPG game that literally simulate life), all of which would be unnecessary for my game. So i wouldn't have to worry about those, once the characters are created they will pretty much stay the same physically (Although i may include preggo content, but that is another matter and may just use a seperate model instead of "modifying" an existing one)

The hardest part will be for me to test out everything and make a workflow of my own. I have specific needs for my game and will arrange to meet them. I will make sure to give tips and feedback of my own findings. Thanks a lot!
If you are happy with how Life play is looking, then you should be able to get the same results.

Good luck!

Btw, I might need some tips on Alright Rig :D in a couple of weeks, I think.