• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM None [Translation Request] Genie's Labyrinth [Kurowashiya]

Mar 28, 2022
  • Hey there
Reactions: RottenCitizen

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
Damn you're cool.
Thank you! I'm flattered! :giggle:

I strive to be like you one day.
Just do what you love, try to learn as much as possible about it and you will be event better, in your own way.

Is this Vim?
Yep. Neovim to be precise.

Anyway, if you're still trying, my thanks and moral support to you.
I want to return to this translation project and finish it.
Currently I'm working on a translation tool that should help with that.

Reactions: Drybear

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
I don't know what possessed me, but I've spent far too much time reading through lines upon lines of code and dialogue.
So, I've taken the liberty of translating a chunk of the game. I say translate, but it was mostly MTL with me coming back in with my rudimentary Japanese to make most of the sentences more understandable. Expect typos.

Most of the H-Attacks and H-Dialogue have been translated as those where the files that have been already decrypted. The settings menu is also mostly translated and some NPC dialogue. The only thing that I could not directly translate were items, enemy names, skills, boss talks, and battle logs. There are also some sprites that would need to be redrawn.

I believe the remaining untranslated text is encrypted inside the data2 folder as .dat files. If anyone wants to figure out how to decrypt them so they're directly editable in notepad++, maybe I'll spend some time to translate the rest of the game. Also, I haven't played through the entire game since I've translated it, only checked to see if I didn't crash loading and walking around the home base. I make no promises.

Anyway here it is:
You can get the game a little more understandable by using MTool and using the built in translation feature which will translate some of the items and skills, but it's not completely accurate and may have item descriptions continue outside of the text window.

Edit:
2022/11/14
Small bug with crashing on looking at boss parameters have been fixed. If you encounter any more bugs, feel free to let me know and I'll try to fix them in my free time.

2022/12/9
I've figured how to redraw sprites, so some of the graphics on the menu and equipment and the enemy parameters have now been translated. May finish more when I'm not so busy.

Genie's Labyrinth Pause Menu.jpg Genie's Labyrinth Enemy Example.jpg

Last edited:

Nick_1357

Aug 4, 2017
I don't know what possessed me, but I've spent far too much time reading through lines upon lines of code and dialogue.
So, I've taken the liberty of translating a chunk of the game. I say translate, but it was mostly MTL with me coming back in with my rudimentary Japanese to make most of the sentences more understandable. Expect typos.

Most of the H-Attacks and H-Dialogue have been translated as those where the files that have been already decrypted. The settings menu is also mostly translated and some NPC dialogue. The only thing that I could not directly translate were items, enemy names, skills, boss talks, and battle logs. There are also some sprites that would need to be redrawn.

I believe the remaining untranslated text is encrypted inside the data2 folder as .dat files. If anyone wants to figure out how to decrypt them so they're directly editable in notepad++, maybe I'll spend some time to translate the rest of the game. Also, I haven't played through the entire game since I've translated it, only checked to see if I didn't crash loading and walking around the home base. I make no promises.

Anyway here it is:
You can get the game a little more understandable by using MTool and using the built in translation feature which will translate some of the items and skills, but it's not completely accurate and may have item descriptions continue outside of the text window.
Holy shit an unsuspecting messiah has arrived! thank you!

• Haha
Reactions: LoLderon

Flowgenz

Mar 13, 2019

Anyway here it is:

Edit:
2022/11/14
Small bug with crashing on looking at boss parameters have been fixed. If you encounter any more bugs, feel free to let me know and I'll try to fix them in my free time.

2022/12/9
I've figured how to redraw sprites, so some of the graphics on the menu and equipment and the enemy parameters have now been translated. May finish more when I'm not so busy.

View attachment 2224912 View attachment 2224922
The hero we needed but didn't deserve

Reactions: Nick_1357

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
So, I've taken the liberty of translating a chunk of the game.
Thank you for your effort!

For some reason I've completely missed your post and saw it only after a few months.

I've stopped on not being able to play the game under Wine on Linux - judging by sound, it seems to properly react to input, but the screen is completely black. Same thing under VirtualBox and KVM. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why this happens, but ultimately failed and lost interest.

not directly translate were items, enemy names, skills, boss talks, and battle logs
So it's standard RPGMaker stuff. I think you are right, it should be stored in these .dat files, probably in both 'data' and 'data2' dirs.
AFAIR these files are not encrypted at all, they are formed and parsed by standard functions for encoding and decoding binary data in Ruby.
Right now I think something like by Habisain, or Translator++ (which uses RPGMakerTrans) can extract and replace text in these files, just as for regular RPGMaker VX Ace game.

If you still want to finish your translation, I recommend you to download GUI version of RPGMakerTrans from link above. It is very easy to use and should produce a so-called patch file (regular plain text) that you can edit in Notepad++. Then use the same tool again to apply your translation patch to the game (those .dat files). The tool may miss 'data2' folder, as it is not usual RPGMaker location, but otherwise this should work.
And, if successful, please post it here on F95 in 'Games' section and take all the credit for the translation, as you did all the hard work. I hate that part of painstakingly reading and editing thousands of lines of MTL.

I don't have much free time now, but I'll try to look into this next week.

Last edited:
Reactions: HippoPie

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
I've stopped on not being able to play the game under Wine on Linux - judging by sound, it seems to properly react to input, but the screen is completely black. Same thing under VirtualBox and KVM. I've spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out why this happens, but ultimately failed and lost interest.
It seems people have been having crashes with the game lately, and I have no idea what the cause may be as I use a Windows 10 machine with local Japanese emulator.

Right now I think something like by Habisain, or Translator++ (which uses RPGMakerTrans) can extract and replace text in these files, just as for regular RPGMaker VX Ace game.

If you still want to finish your translation, I recommend you to download GUI version of RPGMakerTrans from link above. It is very easy to use and should produce a so-called patch file (regular plain text) that you can edit in Notepad++. Then use the same tool again to apply your translation patch to the game (those .dat files). The tool may miss 'data2' folder, as it is not usual RPGMaker location, but otherwise this should work.
I actually have RPG Maker VX and I tried running the game file in that, but any changes I've made seemed to not affect the actual game. I'll see what I can do with this.

And, if successful, please post it here on F95 in 'Games' section and take all the credit for the translation, as you did all the hard work. I hate that part of painstakingly reading and editing thousands of lines of MTL.
Thank you for decrypting the game files, without it, I probably would have not even attempted. I've been really busy over the last few months now, but maybe in due time I'll finish this to a playable degree and I'll make sure to give credit.

Last edited:

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
This has got to be the most frustrating game to translate. RPGMakerTrans is working as intended and changing the events inside the game. Issue is that despite the changes, the game still displays the Japanese text. There is no data in regards to Items, Weapons, Enemies, ect, that I can edit within RPGMaker itself somehow it's all blank yet the game runs fine. I even checked to see if the original Japanese version had the same thing. It did.
I feel like the entire game is stored in the "data2 folder" and everything in the normal data somehow does nothing. The only way I see any finishing of translating is if the remaining .dat files in data 2 are decrypted. Unfortunately I'm incompetent when it comes to coding and am not even entirely sure where the data for that stuff could be held.

[3 hours later]
So, the entire game is read inside the data2 folder. I figured this out as the plain text file, map_event.txt contained most of the base text in the game. I added an event value I found in RPGMakerVX Editor into the file and ran the game. Lo and behold, the event I added called correctly at the position of the original Japanese event. Problem is that the game will first display the Japanese words and then my English translation in the window right after. Translation from me will be suspended indefinitely unless someone can decrypt the rest of the data2 folder.

Nick_1357

Aug 4, 2017
This has got to be the most frustrating game to translate. RPGMakerTrans is working as intended and changing the events inside the game. Issue is that despite the changes, the game still displays the Japanese text. There is no data in regards to Items, Weapons, Enemies, ect, that I can edit within RPGMaker itself somehow it's all blank yet the game runs fine. I even checked to see if the original Japanese version had the same thing. It did.
I feel like the entire game is stored in the "data2 folder" and everything in the normal data somehow does nothing. The only way I see any finishing of translating is if the remaining .dat files in data 2 are decrypted. Unfortunately I'm incompetent when it comes to coding and am not even entirely sure where the data for that stuff could be held.

[3 hours later]
So, the entire game is read inside the data2 folder. I figured this out as the plain text file, map_event.txt contained most of the base text in the game. I added an event value I found in RPGMakerVX Editor into the file and ran the game. Lo and behold, the event I added called correctly at the position of the original Japanese event. Problem is that the game will first display the Japanese words and then my English translation in the window right after. Translation from me will be suspended indefinitely unless someone can decrypt the rest of the data2 folder.
Understandable, still though thanks for the efforts

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
Still can't decrypt .dat files, but I have managed to figure how to translate the manual for the game.
It was a quick machine translation with no quality control, but this should give basically all the info you need to actually play the game.
Just extract and replace the manual.html in the main game folder and then open it in your preferred browser.

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
Hi, HippoPie!

I promised to take a look at those .dat files, and here I come back with interim results.
As expected, most of these files are not encrypted - they contain Ruby objects in binary format. Problem is that to decode the data from these files one need to have complete definitions of these objects' classes, including RMVX-specific stuff, which is tricky if your script is not running inside RMVX game. I tried several different approaches, but in the end only the easiest and dumbest of them - editing the game scripts and then running it - was relatively successful.

I have attached an archive to this post with a text representation of the objects contained in those files. I apologize in advance for their complete unreadability (each text file contains just one giant line), but in a few hours I couldn't even make the game spit out the text prettified. This game is a 32-bit application, and when trying to format a large memory structure, such as in the 'db.dat' file, the process' virtual memory would simply run out and the game would freeze. I don't have any energy left to roll out my own prettifier to format these files, might do this later.
I don't think these text files can really help with translation, but they can give you an idea of what information is contained in the corresponding .dat file.

You were probably right, and indeed these files contain everything that in normal game lives in `data/*.rvdata2' files. In any case, they contain quite a lot of text in Japanese. This text is often present in a form of Ruby symbols, which may suggest that it has special meaning and the game may break if we just replace in with English translation.

Theoretically, I could write a script that uses Ruby's introspection to walk through these structures and automatically pull out text strings in Japanese. Then use very similar process to substitute the text inside the files with an English translation. Or even better: gather all translations into a separate file and automatically replace the text before displaying it on the screen. The latter is much less likely to break the game, but will require more work. Honestly, I think in this case only the latter option has any chance of success.

All in all, after several hours of work that mostly resulted in nothing, I couldn't agree with you more: it is a very frustrating experience.

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
Hey, RottenCitizen

Thanks for the files.
I've started to use Visual Studio Code which has made it much easier for me to visualize and edit the Japanese text in game. I've even found some additional text that I missed (Not enough to deserve a new upload).

From the text versions of the files you uploaded, db.dat appears to contain the items, skills, enemy messages during a battle and enemy spawn information. The other files don't appear to hold much text that could be translated without breaking something as you've mentioned. The only file that might hold the remaining event information might be map.arc, but given that the manual that I hastily translated repeats most of the the remaining untranslated NPCs at the base, it isn't as important for anyone who just wants to complete the game.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I've tried to see if MTool could work to create a separate translation file, but it seems to instantly crash when ever I try to load the translated game into it. It does manage to translate the text that I could not even in the RPGMaker Game Editor when loaded into the original Japanese game.

Given how prone this game is to breaking whenever anything is modified, I think the method of translating all the text in a separate file before displaying it like you mentioned is the best way around it. If you do pull all the Japanese text, feel free to send me all the untranslated text and I make some time to write out the translation next to each line.

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
Thanks for the files.
Glad that you got some insight from them.

I've started to use Visual Studio Code which has made it much easier for me to visualize and edit the Japanese text in game
I've heard much praise for VSCode from people IRL.
OT: I don't think it's anything to seriously worry about, but I also heard that it really likes to phone home to Microsoft, sending back encrypted "telemetry". Maybe it will be worth your while to take a look at - basically the exact same thing but without built-in spyware. Same dichotomy as Google Chrome / Chromium.
I personally don't use either of them though, and don't know much details.

The only file that might hold the remaining event information might be map.arc
Yep, that file looks interesting too. It's on the TODO list.

I forgot to mention this in previous post, but `bustup_data.dat` and `tilemap_draw_table.dat` are encoded differently from other files, thus they don't have corresponding .txt file in the archive. Probably not relevant for the translation, but just in case.

If you do pull all the Japanese text, feel free to send me all the untranslated text and I make some time to write out the translation next to each line
Thanks! That's what I intend to do next.
I don't know how much time it will take, but I'll post regular updates in this thread.

I really appreciate your help!
It would be nice to finally finish this translation project, but please don't feel obliged to do anything.

EDIT: Uploaded prettified versions of text files. These are actually human-readable now.
`anime.txt` and `anime_data.txt` mostly contain raw binary data, so I didn't bother formatting them.

Last edited:
Reactions: HippoPie

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
Maybe it will be worth your while to take a look at - basically the exact same thing but without built-in spyware.
Will take a look into VSCodium as I value my perceived privacy.

I forgot to mention this in previous post, but `bustup_data.dat` and `tilemap_draw_table.dat` are encoded differently from other files, thus they don't have corresponding .txt file in the archive. Probably not relevant for the translation, but just in case.

EDIT: Uploaded prettified versions of text files. These are actually human-readable now.
`anime.txt` and `anime_data.txt` mostly contain raw binary data, so I didn't bother formatting them.
These are much easier on the eyes. I can confidently say that db.dat has most of the remaining untranslated text for in menu things like battle messages, items, skills, ect. The other files mostly contain data regarding things like clothes for the NPCs, message order for various erotic attacks, and other misc things that probably don't contribute to the translation or break if I messed with them.

bustup_data.dat might contain the information needed to translate the clothing change when hovering the mouse over the character so that might be worth looking at.

It's actually looking like a real possibility that is game could finally be translated with some slightly better quality than a direct machine translation. Granted, there isn't much in the way of story to translate.

I'm also completely open to suggestions from anyone for how lines should be translated or if the formatting of something could be better as I'll probably give the game a once over before any final translation.

• Hey there

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
A small update.

Found an embarrassing bug in my prettifier code that caused all text inside the text strings (i.e. in quotes, like "this") to lose all space characters. "Like this" turned to "Likethis" during formatting process. Not that it matters for translation or matters at all, but still.

`bustup_data.dat` turned to be in the same format as other .dat files, but additionally zlib-compressed. A simple modification to extraction code and we can peek inside.

`tilemap_draw_table.dat`, on the other hand, is completely different from other files. It is just a chunk of binary data. I found the code that loads it, but could not find any actual uses. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.
Opening this file in hex editor shows that it mostly consists of zeroes and repetitive byte patterns. I don't think it contains any text and so it is not relevant for us.

Also these files are filtered through iconv to enforce UTF-8 encoding.

Next step is to either crack open `map.arc` or extract all text that "contains Japanese" to a single nicely formatted text file to use as a translation patch.

Last edited:

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
No update (yet).

I'm still alive, but not feeling myself very well. Real-world responsibilities have been weighting heavily on me for the past two weeks and I haven't had the energy to poke around in this game. I'm tired, but hope to find some time on this week, maybe weekends.