j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
My pig princess is making more than twice as much money as magic nutz, with worse writing and gameplay.
At least in my opinion they really deserve every penny of that. What I was saying though is, that a significant number of people won't give money to that kind of game, which of course doesn't mean, that you can't earn a very decent amout of money from those who do.

DickKingLoL

Aug 17, 2020
How much time though? 6 months? 12 months? 2 years? Infinity? Even the most polished games of the highest quality don't need forever, there is a cap at which point it just becomes ridiculous.
true, but marking game as abandoned when its not is still misinformation and misleading, just because developer doesn't upload in time, he will... soon enough lol

irezawa

Nov 4, 2017
For that to really happen you really need better alternatives first.
I must admit, I really don't see your point here. For me the alternative for wasting money is to not waste money at all, not to find another way to waste money. You don't have to support anything if there's nothing worth supporting. It's not like there's an unstoppable stream of money flowing from your wallet and you must guide it somewhere; you can bloody well dam the damn thing.

I'm starting to feel that maybe you and many other people don't really understand how sites like Patreon work: You're not actually buying anything, you're simply supporting the developers to do whatever they see fit, hoping it would some day result into something. You're not paying for a product, you're paying for process and might not even get that much. Misunderstanding like this would certainly explain a lot.

I myself prefer because in there you don't pay for someone to do something or nothing, you're paying for the download. It's a lot closer to buying something, even though the product might not be final. But the point is, you're not paying anything until the dev has actually done something. And if you really like what you see, you may even decide to throw in some extra bucks.

I don't mind paying for things beforehand, sometimes it's a necessary incentive to get things rolling. But it should be conditional. In Patreon it isn't. If you're getting nothing, at least stop paying for it.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I must admit, I really don't see your point here. For me the alternative for wasting money is to not waste money at all, not to find another way to waste money. You don't have to support anything if there's nothing worth supporting. It's not like there's an unstoppable stream of money flowing from your wallet and you must guide it somewhere; you can bloody well dam the damn thing.

I'm starting to feel that maybe you and many other people don't really understand how sites like Patreon work: You're not actually buying anything, you're simply supporting the developers to do whatever they see fit, hoping it would some day result into something. You're not paying for a product, you're paying for process and might not even get that much. Misunderstanding like this would certainly explain a lot.

I myself prefer because in there you don't pay for someone to do something or nothing, you're paying for the download. It's a lot closer to buying something, even though the product might not be final. But the point is, you're not paying anything until the dev has actually done something. And if you really like what you see, you may even decide to throw in some extra bucks.

I don't mind paying for things beforehand, sometimes it's a necessary incentive to get things rolling. But it should be conditional. In Patreon it isn't. If you're getting nothing, at least stop paying for it.
While you clearly understand how Patreon works, I'd say you just don't seem to share why someone would prefer to use this system instead of itch.io because your mindset is more focused on getting the actual product. Which is totally fine, just not how everybody feels. Because people who use Patreon are indeed getting something, even if the update is delayed: apart from WIP videos and spoiler pics (and progress reports), they are getting the satisfaction of supporting something or someone they like and trust -until they just don't.

Usually, people using Patreon knows this quite well and understand the implications, and this is especially true in a case like WaL, as the game is totally free and no one needs to pay a dime for it, so people paying on Patreon month after month are clearly supporting the process, not paying for a product. And those misunderstandings you mention usually come from people who are unable to grasp this whole 'patronage' concept. Those are the ones who jump to claim 'scam' as soon as a dev doesn't update their game as frequently as they'd wish, without realizing it can't be a scam if the ones actually paying are not feeling misled and feel perfectly OK with it. It's just something these critics won't support, but nothing else. Everyone feeling the process (and the waiting) is not worth their money anymore are free to stop supporting devs at any time. And it's their money and their choice, not anyone else's. Not getting that there are other people out there who have different views on how to spend their own money is the kind of 'misunderstandings that would certainly explain a lot' of these discussions.

BTW, they actually released something yesterday. A new 0.6.03 version that complies with the new Patreon's ToS.
============================================================
====================== CHANGELOG ============================
============================================================

***0.6.03:***
- In the prologue, the MC is aged by one year: he was not allowed to be in the brothel's main halls until after he was 18, and he left for the New Capital on his nineteenth birthday.
- For his nineteenth birthday, his moms were going to throw a surprise orgy for him involving the newer girls in the brothel (instead of themselves)
- The MC does not play with the sleeping Lana's breasts before trying to steal her bottle.
- Before having sex with Maple, a few lines have been added to establish that despite shrinking, his mind was not impacted by the influence of her pixie magic.

Fantaldebert

May 30, 2018
true, but marking game as abandoned when its not is still misinformation and misleading, just because developer doesn't upload in time, he will... soon enough lol
I somewhat agree that it's misinformation but not misleading.
On one side, it's important to show that something wrong is happening. (ie, no update for more tha 18 months or no sign of dev for 3 months) to warn people not reading every pages of back and forth debate. It's clear signal for potential new patreon or just people investing their time in a story that might never end.

For exemple, I like Rothfuss's the Kingslayer chronicle, it's very engaging and well writen but I'm warning all my friends that while the reading is great, third volume probably won't ever happen and the story will remain unfinished.

On the other hand, the term ABANDONED isn't very accurate. The devs are still posting. Maybe some other term could be used. I fear Scammy Behavior would be to negative. Prolonged Iatus would be deflecting. On Hold is another F95 tag with another meaning.
Note that this tag is purely internal to F95, there is no such thing on WaL discord or patreon.

In the end, there has to be a term and this one will do.

Kisama33

May 13, 2018
On one side, it's important to show that something wrong is happening. (ie, no update for more tha 18 months or no sign of dev for 3 months) to warn people not reading every pages of back and forth debate. It's clear signal for potential new patreon or just people investing their time in a story that might never end.
While I understand the importance of that, this information can be easily accessed by checking the original post and the information on it regarding the last update date but I do know that most people just ignore it and just go straight to what they want but the word used to describe this especific scenario where the game is still "ongoing" it's still not something I can really agree with.

Kisama33

May 13, 2018
what you said doesn't tell me much
Like I said the only thing I know about those changes is this:

"***0.6.03:***
- In the prologue, the MC is aged by one year: he was not allowed to be in the brothel's main halls until after he was 18, and he left for the New Capital on his nineteenth birthday.
- For his nineteenth birthday, his moms were going to throw a surprise orgy for him involving the newer girls in the brothel (instead of themselves)
- The MC does not play with the sleeping Lana's breasts before trying to steal her bottle.
- Before having sex with Maple, a few lines have been added to establish that despite shrinking, his mind was not impacted by the influence of her pixie magic."

That like I pointed out was below the message I quoted and that you could have checked by clicking in the name of the original member who made it to be redirected to it to see for yourself.

Rosswel

Aug 11, 2017

- Before having sex with Maple, a few lines have been added to establish that despite shrinking, his mind was not impacted by the influence of her pixie magic."

That like I pointed out was below the message I quoted and that you could have checked by clicking in the name of the original member who made it to be redirected to it to see for yourself.
Patreon new TOS is a pain in the ass, isn't it? Makes me wonder if the new TOS have any effect on the writing for the next update that makes it necessary to rewrite some part of it thus delaying the update

Woodalicca

Jun 13, 2022
A wise man once said " we have the leaders we deserve ".

In this case, " Pledgers got what they deserved "

Almost 2 years of waiting, tasks keeps on getting delayed, never ending polishing. Well, it's your cash in the end. Feel free to keep on throwing it out of the window.

You reap what you sow by not hitting the purse.

What a Kick in the Teeth ! :HideThePain:

slick97

Dec 2, 2021
Well, at least you know the state of the 2D weg scene in general, given that it's literally (among) the best alternative(s) to WaL! and SS in terms of quality at the moment.
A few other devs are making a strong showing in the 2D space (Parasite Black and Refuge of Embers). But yeah, it's looking grim for anyone who enjoys this style of art - especially since it results in diverse character designs rather than reusing the same few Daz/HS2 models over and over.

What's crazy to me is that some devs started and are close to ending their projects in the same amount of time this update is taking to release.

Kirel

Mar 18, 2018
Pistachio also noted the following planned change for v0.8 (Holly's update):

"At the end, I couldn't do Celestina's change without extra art, and I don't want Chestnut to stop her work to create art for v0.6, especially since the next release is about Holly and the change I had in mind is not strictly necessary, but desirable. The MC chooses to kiss Celestina after seeing her through the glasses, and that she had been trying to get him to do it in return for her leaving Holly alone is not addressed. I would like to address that, and give the players the choice to not kiss her at all, but that will have to wait until v0.8."

j4yj4m

Forum Fanatic
Jun 19, 2017
funny how some of the best art people are paired with the absolute worst programmers :)
That's likely because games, where there's no resident artist/dev, usually don't come this far once there are troubles. In that case it's often just over (see for example MilftoonDrama). NSFW artists in general seem to be hard to work with and it's hard to find somebody who is willing to commit for such a long time, even if you pay them really well. Most people rather work for their own project as it seems.
But yeah, it's looking grim for anyone who enjoys this style of art - especially since it results in diverse character designs rather than reusing the same few Daz/HS2 models over and over.
It's the great upside of 2D art, that every little detail is possible without limits. Then again, the big downside is that it takes a lot of time to draw all of that.
What's crazy to me is that some devs started and are close to ending their projects in the same amount of time this update is taking to release.
It really very often boils down to the complexity of the game. Of course mishaps/delays can always happen, but games like this one will take more time per update in any case, compared to your standard VN/RPGM game.

hisnik2

Apr 20, 2023

WTF

4.70 star(s) 446 Votes