2D v 3D characters

2D or 3D Characters

• Total voters

Bummenphist

Jul 21, 2018
I tend to avoid games with 3D characters as they never look good enough for my liking. The game might be one of the best ever made, but I'll never know because I just won't go there. 2D drawings are much better to my eye, and I believe that you can achieve a greater range of emotions and detail this way.

What are your preferences? 2D or 3D, and what makes you prefer one to the other?

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I tend to avoid games with 3D characters as they never look good enough for my liking. The game might be one of the best ever made, but I'll never know because I just won't go there. 2D drawings are much better to my eye, and I believe that you can achieve a greater range of emotions and detail this way.

What are your preferences? 2D or 3D, and what makes you prefer one to the other?

Last edited:
Reactions: Namco15

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
I like both, but 2D usually edges ahead a bit for me. 2D can get away with a lot more questionable quality work than 3D without ruining it for me. There are some really amazing 3D works out there, but not very often in adult games. Daz models are ok, but far from the best 3D can offer in most cases. I generally find that 3D stuff either has to be lifelike enough to bridge the uncanny valley or stylized enough that it stays firmly on the unreal side of that chasm for me to get into it.

Usually the worst offenders on the 3D side are things like gravity defying anatomy/hair/clothing, bad lighting/material settings, and blatant mesh clipping (like bent legs passing through a skirt that is treating the legs as if they were still straight/upright).

Last edited:

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I believe that you can achieve a greater range of emotions and detail this way.
On this, in particular, I disagree, but only because I've been forcing my artist to reach a much greater range of emotions than is average using Daz. The real problem here is that many daz devs have made their games using the straight out of the box poses and expressions, not bothering to play at all with the sliders and mechanisms available to adjust those very over the top expressions to fit the scene. You can even combine sliders if you know what you're doing, or manually adjust them yourself.

As to what I prefer, well, I have to say that most 2d games don't appeal to me, but that's not because I don't like 2D art. It's because 2D art requires the use of Sprites as a shortcut. I prefer things to be in scene. characters sitting around a table, talking, laughing, crying, etc as necessary. Not, character sitting around a table, and then a sprite comes up to show them laughing or crying or talking or whatever. This goes for 3D as well. I don't play games with sprites unless they offer me something to make up for it.

Coceter Chronicles, Offcuts, and I think that might be it, are the only games I can think of that I'd recommend that use sprites, and both have an amazingly well written game supporting them. In the case of Coceter, it also gets a little leeway on being an RPGM game. As to Offcuts, I just loved the characters and the characterization so much that I couldn't not allow it. Offcuts is 3D but the characters are as expressive as any manga.

The other thing I take issue with on 2D is the number of them that use 1 shot for 10 lines of dialogue in a sex scene or something along those lines. Seriously, change things up, give me multiple poses and appropriate focus to facial expressions and the like as things occur. Manga can do it, there's no reason a game can't.

So, in the end, I vote for 3D, not because I don't like 2D art, but because I don't like 2D game design.

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016
I'm more used to playing games with 3D renders. But I also played 2D ones.
I don't have a preference, If I like the story and the art, I'm on either.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
2D for me, especially when talking about Daz. The amount of bad render, bad lighting, flat angles, lifeless expressions, terrible, terrible proportions is just too high. For me, I would only consider the top 0.1% as actual good art, I can play this or that game if they offer something more, but not for the renders.

2d on the other hand offers far more liberty to what the artist can do and in general the images are more alive.

The other thing I take issue with on 2D is the number of them that use 1 shot for 10 lines of dialogue in a sex scene or something along those lines. Seriously, change things up, give me multiple poses and appropriate focus to facial expressions and the like as things occur. Manga can do it, there's no reason a game can't.
Yeah, that's a limitation to how fast you can do art and still keep it looking good.

kimoo

Jun 6, 2017
i don't know why but 2DCG isn't attractive to me and it's not realistic either
i prefer playing a shit game with 3DCG better than a good game with 2DCG
- 2DCG (more like cartoons)
- 3DCG(more like real characters)

Last edited:
Reactions: robbinrobbie

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I like well made. Doesn't matter 2d or 3D. I can do 3D cartoon style and what you say? :) BTW Most of that 2D is actually make by 3d modeling :)

Reactions: anne O'nymous

lafingman0

Feb 17, 2018
depends on the game. i prefer 3D games, like those built in unreal engine with full nudity. so 3D?

215303j

For me 3D is preferable. IF done right it can be amazing.
If it's not done right, it is still as good as most 2D stuff.
But I guess it's just personal preference...

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Reminds me of a discussion I had with a 2d lover who simply couldn't accept anything besides 2d for VNS.
It has a lot to do with both anime and the fact they grown up with 2d art when it comes to serious VNS. Where western where more on the silly side.

I do not believe that 3d is inferior to 2d nor do I believe 2d is inferior to 3d.
There is no such thing as *only* less expressive 3d or *only* less realistic 2d art. (In my opinion.)

It all depends on the creator of the games (and art).
There are many 3d artists who simply stick with stock poses and images without any post work and then send it out. This creates these lifeless renders and uncanny feeling.
On the 2d side, there are creators who follow the stream and keep making these generic characters with only Japanese style of drawings and characters. (Tsundere, senpai, big eyes, fly eyes, cat eyes and what do I know.)

And of course, then there are people who simply hate 2d/3d because they used to one of them and have a hard time going outside their conform zone. (and on the rare occasion they do, they tend to go for the games that confirm their hatred instead of trying to allow a new experience)

I love both styles. I have all time favorite games from both sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: anne O'nymous

robbinrobbie

Aug 8, 2017
Its funny to me that there are people that say they dont like 3D because there are devs out there that dont do a good job with it. Reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom always made dry meatloaf. I also thought I didnt like meatloaf, but as it turns out, I just didnt like badly cooked meatloaf. As it turns out, meatloaf is delicious and my mom was just fucking it up the whole time.
Theres a lot of shitty 3D games out there, but theres also a decent amount of good ones.

Personally I like (good) 3D characters better. I cant get into most 2d games I've played

Benn Swagger

Aug 26, 2016
2D : Fulltime developer, long progression due to technical issue ... well, they always have to draw new pictures.
3D : Hobbyist developer, long progression due to short amount of time working on project ... real job on daylight, shady job on night.

In the end, player have to wait for 1~2 months for updates. Both types are :poop: ... I hate them all.
The one who fastest, is the best. Lower the cost, happy costumers.