3d models for game

anwar

Mar 4, 2018
I want to create a VN in renpy.I know little bit of coding but has no idea of creating 3d models for image. So I some one know how to get some free models plz help me out.

Reactions: Xnnxnxmzmzmmzbd

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Daz3d.

Use the pirated models in the asset release section on here. Try combining them if you want atleast some different looking models then every other VN game out there.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I want to create a VN in renpy.I know little bit of coding but has no idea of creating 3d models for image. So I some one know how to get some free models plz help me out.
To expand slightly on what Synx said, Daz Studio (available through daz3d.com) is probably the most common package used to prepare graphics for VN's (at least the kind that appear here) because the core program is free. So you can sign up, download Daz Studio and get a number of base figures for free. Of course, so many people have built VN's using just the base figures, that there's kind of a "oh, yes, another G3 Female base character in a novel" reaction by some people. So you can acquire (legally or otherwise) any number of other figures. Even the standard figures, however, have been pretty extensively used, so if you want to stand out you either need to use less common figures, or else modify the figures themselves slightly using "morphs" so that your characters don't appear to be "yet another use of... whomever."

Now, all that being said, if you have not experience using a 3D package like Daz Studio, you'll probably find yourself needing to worry less about "what does my main character's figure look like" than "how do I get decent-looking images out of Daz Studio." So possibly you want to focus on the latter first, and the former later. I'm sure it took you a little while to learn both coding in general, and Ren'py in particular. Similarly, it's going to take you a while to learn how to get decent graphics out of Daz Studio. You can definitely do it with time and practice, but don't assume that you'll be cranking out great-looking scenes in the first five minutes.

So, possibly what you want to do is to spend some of your energy outlining how your game is going to work (on paper, using Microsoft Word or whatever) and some of your time learning Daz by practicing cranking out images. Once you get to the point where you're happy with the images that you're producing with Daz, then you can worry about coming up with the actual figures, sets, etc., that you'll use in your game.

Don't hesitate to post images here and ask for help and feedback as you learn Daz Studio - we were all newbies at one time, and there are a ton of people here willing to help you...

At least, that's my $0.02...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Now, all that being said, if you have not experience using a 3D package like Daz Studio, you'll probably find yourself needing to worry less about "what does my main character's figure look like" than "how do I get decent-looking images out of Daz Studio." So possibly you want to focus on the latter first, and the former later.
As someone who's still struggling with Daz3D, I agree totally on this. Anyway, once you start understanding Daz3D, what you can effectively do with it, how far you can morph this or that, you don't see the model with the same eyes. You start looking at them thinking "not bad, if I do that, apply this morph, it can be the one I want". In the end, the model you'll choose will be totally different than the one having your preference at start.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
I'm in a similar situation, in so much as I know RenPy well enough to code but don't really have any experience with 3D modelling. In my case, I've zero aptitude for story writing either... so apart from playing with Daz3D a bit - I'm probably not going to try to follow the path you're on.

Which isn't to say I haven't thought about how I would go about learning.

Whilst Daz isn't your only option and perhaps not even the easiest... it is the most popular solution for RenPy games for those of us who aren't art students. The amount of pirated assets available is definitely large enough to put most games together. Plus there are a lot of threads here on F95 and elsewhere where first timers have already asked all the usual questions and received answers.

There are also a lot of YouTube videos (or differing quality) where people introduce Daz's concepts and ideas.

I'd suggest not going mad grabbing assets right at the beginning. I did that briefly and was overwhelmed by things it added into the Daz packages. Start small, learn the basics and then expand.

One thing that crossed my mind to do (I never did do it though), was to pick a game I liked by a solo dev and then try to recreate one picture using the default models. Then try to recreate the same image with better assets (more similar to the original image). Then progress to trying to recreate maybe the first 10 minutes of gameplay from that same game.
It doesn't matter if it doesn't look exactly the same, as long as you learn something along the way and your resulting render is "good enough".

Like you, the dev of that game didn't know Daz well at the beginning and got better as they figured stuff out. So unless you pick something particularly ambitious... you'll probably be able to keep up. That's not universally true obviously, but pick the right game and you shouldn't be too overwhelmed.

If you can do that, you're probably 75% the way to being able to do stuff for yourself. After that, maybe play with some of the harder things to do like cum shots, intercourse, shower scenes and/or characters in a swimming pool. Then progress to trying to figure out lighting in a darkened room at night.

Make use of pre-packaged poses. Forget animations.

By trying to recreate something your already know someone did... you at least know it's possible. Which in my mind is half the battle.

As a bit of an ego-boost to start off... maybe take a look at this starter training video. It won't teach you much, except how to recreate this specific portrait... but there is something quite cathartic about ending up with something that looks so pretty.
https://f95zone.to/threads/create-a-realistic-portrait-in-daz-studio-videos.22733/

As far a where to download assets from... I think you're looking for this:
https://f95zone.to/latest/#/cat=assets/page=1/prefixes=33,45

(Maybe read through this thread too : https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-install-content-to-daz-w-w-o-install-manager.6045/ )

For more tutorials available for download here:
https://f95zone.to/latest/#/cat=assets/page=1/prefixes=45

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Good summary by 79flavors. Speaking from my own point of view, I had a fair background in 3D graphics in general (theory and technical stuff), so I usually kind of knew what I had to do, and just had to figure out how to do it. The two things that took me the most time were:
  1. Learning to pose figures in ways that look (at least somewhat) realistic. I still struggle with this, but there are quite a few pose packs available that will typically give you something reasonably close from which you can then fiddle.
  2. Lighting. This was the one I spent a LOT of time on. Of course, there's a reason they have entire crews devoted solely to lighting in movies and such - it's complex, but also critical to getting the "look" that a director wants. There are various tutorials, but you just have to dig in there, try a bunch of different things, and work out what seems to work for you.
It should be pointed out that Daz Studio has two built-in renderers - the older 3Delight one and the newer iRay one. iRay is must more "physically based," so that light (mostly) behaves like real light. That can be good (in that you can use techniques from tutorials on photography, for example) and bad (in that you can't play some of the "tricks" you can with 3Delight.)

Most of the "modern" assets were designed for iRay and older assets for 3Delight, but there's some crossover. However, unless you have an NVidia GPU, you're going to find iRay rendering glacially slow - iRay is specifically designed to use NVidia GPU's for hardware acceleration and while you CAN get the same results out of your CPU, it's slow, slow, slow. Just a tip.

Basically, anwar , this is one of those cases where there's no substitute for diving in, playing with buttons and knobs, and see what happens. Best of luck with your experimenting, and don't be afraid to take advantage of the people here or on the Daz3d.com forums.