Tutorial How to Install Content to Daz w/ w/o Install Manager

Lt. Aldo Raine

Sharing Is Caring
Donor
Former Staff
Mar 24, 2017
Im going to go through the steps taken to Install "Daz zip Files" using Daz Install Manager.

(Note: Using DIM to install content also Installs products metadata, which makes the product available to use in the "Smart Content Pane")

1. First you need to know how to tell "Daz zips" apart from other contet zips.
- A Daz Zip contains an Install Manager number in begining of file name (see img)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

2. Now after you download it may be in a 7zip or rar format so you should un zip with one of those first. When you find the folder in ".zip" format with the "IM" in its name right click and select copy.

3. Now find the Content Download directory for the DIM. Path should look like this.
C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager\Downloads

4. Paste the file in "Downloads" folder located in the path above.

5. Run and start the DIM. (Make sure to check workoffline or files may fail to install)

6. If they dont show up under downloads inside the program, try refresh at top right. (see examples for 5 and 6 in picture below)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

To Install Without Install Manager
  • If you unpack a folder and see it named "IM000...zip", do the same thing than before and put this zip file into the download manager folder.
  • If you see one folder "content" with 2 small files named "supplement" and/or "manifest" after opening, you can create an DIM with them, simply search for the ID number on DAZ market and rename the main zip into the correct name (aka IM000*the ID number here* -01_*name of asset.zip*.
  • If you see "library", Runtime, "data", "content" or something else without any "Manifest", it's not DIM compatible and you need to open it and copy files into "my DAz 3D library". If Daz Studio is installed on c:/ the path should be C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library.

Much thanks to @macadam for expanding on this topic. You can find his original topic

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
*ThumbUp*

DIM is a very good thing. Not for the install part which is easy anyway, but for the content DB side which is automatically updated.
And a good content DB allows to use the Smart Content pane which clearly simplifies the scene creation.

And that's why I don't like Renderosity and Renderotica. Their products are not DIM compatible and I don't like that. Sometime I modify them to be DIM compatible, but it takes time.

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
thanks for this walk through, by the way is it safe to log into our account with these installed?
That... Big question... :) I haven't seen abnormal communications when I'm online, but... I don't know.

What I do is I have 2 download directories and 2 content directories. One of each for proper stuff, the other for "test" stuff.
Normally, I'm on the "test" directories, working offline. When I want to update DAZ or its content, I switch the directories and then I switch onto the online mode.

Vetto

Nov 13, 2017
Hi, so just to be clear, if we dl/install any stuff :example X g8 and go to main site, will it shows of as already own ?

mirenzo

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
Hi @Lt. Aldo Raine, first of all thank you for your free files, i'm new Daz3D user, please forgive my newbe demand, ok i understud what to do with Daz Zip files to install them but the others? For example the Template one, how to install them please?

Reactions: boy mason

Studio Errilhl

Game Developer
Oct 16, 2017
You don't install templates - templates are used in other programs to modify / create new assets, and making sure they will fit (they're basically the wireframe you use to create assets). Most of the other items you download, that isn't a zip to install just get put in the Daz-3d resources folder.

Reactions: mirenzo

Teron

Donor
Game Developer
Aug 13, 2017
Hi, so just to be clear, if we dl/install any stuff :example X g8 and go to main site, will it shows of as already own ?
No, unless you purchase the packages from Daz it won't show as owned on the store.

The amount of content supplied in this section is amazing, thank you for your effort @Lt. Aldo Raine :D

My only gripe with Daz Studio so far is the non DIM compatible files, might need to check out this content package assist.

Last edited:

Lt. Aldo Raine

Sharing Is Caring
Donor
Former Staff
Mar 24, 2017
No, unless you purchase the packages from Daz it won't show as owned on the store.

The amount of content supplied in this section is amazing, thank you for your effort @Lt. Aldo Raine :D

My only gripe with Daz Studio so far is the non DIM compatible files, might need to check out this content package assist.
Tonight I'll post a tool I found that creates DIM for any kind of content, and also creates Metadata for it (metadata= smart content)

I personally don't use smart content or dim, as a personal preference. But for some it may be worth learning how to use.

mirenzo

Game Developer
Jun 7, 2017
You don't install the templates at all, you don't need them with DAZ Studio.
You don't install templates - templates are used in other programs to modify / create new assets, and making sure they will fit (they're basically the wireframe you use to create assets). Most of the other items you download, that isn't a zip to install just get put in the Daz-3d resources folder.
Thank you