• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py A Bitch Over Troubled Waters (Dev Log)

shlongwrangler

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2021
A Bitch Over Troubled Waters
chapter_1_bathroom_1_c3.png

Hello,

I have decided to start a dev log for the game that I'm making, and have made good progress on already.

What is this game about?
A Bitch Over Troubled Waters is my attempt at a noir-type, gritty crime drama with a fair amount of boinking in between the investigative stuff. Inspirations come from all over the place, from everyone's favorite Broken Dreamers over all kinds of noir classics and soon-to-be-classics. I have always loved this genre and feel like it makes for a great visual novel game as well, so here we go.

The game centers around our protagonist Robert who is a weathered veteran cop, disgruntled and cynic as only a decade on the force can make you. He happens to go for an evening walk one night as he observes a woman being tossed from a bridge, bound and struggling. He rescues her, takes her home, has a chance to sleep with her, or not. Little does he know that the next day he will get roped into an investigation of a murder investigation - and guess who did the murdering.

Of course, nobody can know that we know exactly who did it, because then we would be on the hook for helping and abedding, and bedding a known criminal. And so, we run our own investigation on the side, pull in favors and trick our way to what will hopefully be an easy way out of a misery much grand.

How far am I already?

I have a lot of progress made already, I've been working on the game for close to three weeks now.
- I have the introduction / demo written and rendered, that part is 99% playable. However, I am not happy with some of the renders yet, so I'll hold off publishing the demo until that happens.
- I also have chapter 2 nearly finished, and chapter 3 started as far as the writing goes. Some renders as well, some others that I definitely need to re-render, fml. I want to finish chapter 3's writing before I publish the first real chapter, that way I will know that I have enough backlog writing to focus on the rendering portion.
- I set up all the social media, the Patreon, the email address and the whole shilala of overhead that comes with making a game and promoting it to what will hopefully be at least 3 supporters down the line.

How is the timeline?
My goal is to have the first demo version ready and playable sooner rather than later, definitely before the end of next month. I'm mostly done, I just want to make sure that the first impression you guys get is top notch of what I'm currently able to do. I have everything well-structured, under version control, with all the scene files saved so that I can easily go back in later and re-render images as I get better with DAZ.

So here's to a successful project, We still have three months left of the year to hopefully get two or three actual releases out. So to end this, here are some more renders that I'm quite fond of:
chapter_1_pier_8_c1.png
chapter_2_cafe_rosen_1_c2.png chapter_2_robert_lorry_car_1_c1.png

shlongwrangler

Game Developer
Aug 26, 2021
Alright, last night's render run fixed almost all the issues that I still had with the existing images, that was quite productive. The demo is essentially done by this point, I just need to render two final images that mark the end of the chapter, and then it's done. Chapter 1 progress is going well, too, as well as my writing progress and some first few renders done on chapter 1 and 2. Progress, baby. Here are some of last night's renders:
chapter_2_investigate_crime_scene_5_c3.png chapter_2_investigate_crime_scene_3_c2.png chapter_2_enter_department_2_c3.png
By the way, on that last one I'm actually quite impressed with the 8.1 impressions, they are soooo much better than what we used to be able to do with just 8.0 characters. Still not stellar, but a clear improvement and I'm all here for it.