A dive into the adult games developer industry

U

User_943044

I am a junior developer recently dived into adult games industry few months ago, with no clear clue on what I should create and what the community want. I came across this platform which show enthusiasm in adult games. Before I was developing a non-adult games and after completing about 20% of the story and release it somewhere it receive poor recipient ( maybe lack of marketing?). I release my first adult games today but a thought came into my mind... "What if I just ask what the community want?" Instead of creating and developing without certainty it will be a success. Also I have fear that it will become previous game development which I wasted few months of time.

I am okay with creating all genre EXCEPT : Fury, Gay ( I am okay with lesbian, not male on male), futa.
I can only develop in 2D games due to limitation of my current workstation.

andddddd here goes nothing.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Please don't make a generic game in an attempt to please the masses. Make the kind of game that @LdbCommando231344 would want to play.

Find your interests, find your voice, and you will find an audience.
This really is the best advice.

Making a game is hard. A good game even harder. Unless you have a passion for what you're making, it's harder still.

Make what -you- want.

U

User_943044

I'd suggest that instead of asking people what they want, make something that they didn't know they wanted. Because otherwise you'll probably just end up making another by the numbers incest game, instead of something really cool and unique.
I always agree in making something out of original, that way you can plan the story better rather than scraping and creating from people idea. thanks for that thought. really needed that.

This really is the best advice.

Making a game is hard. A good game even harder. Unless you have a passion for what you're making, it's harder still.

Make what -you- want.
It always being my passion to create a story and I find that creating game is a unique way in telling a story in both graphical way.

Thank you everyone. I feel motivated now :) :) :)

Reactions: Nottravis

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Something I would like to add is: Do not be scared of failing and, if you do, still complete whatever you are doing.

The first project is not always the successful one but if you give up you will show a bad image of yourself.
Do not give up and complete it no matter what, people will be more willing to try other projects of yours in future.

U

User_943044

Something I would like to add is: Do not be scared of failing and, if you do, still complete whatever you are doing.

The first project is not always the successful one but if you give up you will show a bad image of yourself.
Do not give up and complete it no matter what, people will be more willing to try other projects of yours in future.
Sadly i abandon the project few months ago and can't find myself to finish it after it threw me into depression. Long story short, i found inspiration from one of patreon which also lead me here.

This time i will just finish and hope for the best and since the community is nice here. :)

MrBree

Jun 9, 2017
Sadly i abandon the project few months ago and can't find myself to finish it after it threw me into depression. Long story short, i found inspiration from one of patreon which also lead me here.

This time i will just finish and hope for the best and since the community is nice here. :)
I'm going to give you some advice that I hope to follow as I start to explore game development myself.
It is ok to fail. At times even necessary, as failure is one of the most valuable learning tools. Embrace it as a lesson. But fail fast. That doesn't mean that you quit at the drop of a hat. The opposite in fact. Recognize what is not working, and adjust to fix it so you can succeed. AKA -- don't be stubborn over details. Keep your goal in sight instead. Messing up can be depressing. I'm freaking out over that myself. But every mistake is an opportunity to do better next time. Just 'fail it' and move on.

I suggest you write up a Game Design Document. Give yourself the big picture of what you want, and what are the essential details that your game requires. Now you have an uncompromising goal. Everything else? It can all be adjusted and 'failed'.

Come back when you have your vision set for us, and ask us how to better adjust your inessential details to make the game more interesting (and marketable) for us players.

But this is MY plan.. your own approach may differ. That is fine as well. Just find a way that works for you. And don't worry about doing something wrong. Life isn't perfect. So use your flaws instead.

Reactions: User_943044

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
Having spent some time on these forums... I think I can definitely help with "what do the community want?".
  • We want a game with NTR in it. But definitely no NTR.
  • We want a game with a good story. But we can't tell you what a good story is.
  • We want a game with lots of decisions, leading to multiple story lines. But we don't want to wait for all those story lines to be fleshed out properly.
  • We want a cute girl next door. But definitely no cute girl next door.
  • We want quality animations. But without increasing the size of the overall game.
  • We want incest. But none of those old incest tropes that have been used over and over.
  • We want well thought out characters, with well developed back stories. We also want those same characters to have meaningless sex in the first chapter.
  • We want linear stories. Without all that open world daytime/nighttime bullshit.
  • We want open world games, with complex mechanics and non linear gameplay.
  • We want minigames. But we want to be able to skip them... or not have them at all.
  • We want familiar stories. But we don't want to see the same old shit over and over again.
  • We want unique tropes.
  • We want highly specialized fetishes. But only the ones we like, not all that other kinky crap we don't like.
  • We want high quality rendering Di$ney would be proud of. We want you do do that on your 8yr old computer with onboard intel graphics card.
  • We want you to spend all your time talking to us. But delay a deadline and we'll lynch you.
  • We want you to have a team of 5 developers, paid for from the $18/mth you receive from Patreon.
  • But mainly we want world peace, money trees, golden eggs, dragons and a nymphomaniac partner, with their own brewery and private jet who likes visual novels too.

Seriously though... if you're just chasing the cash... Incest with optional NTR and a believable story (even if it's magic potions and/or hypnosis). Good renders are a nice bonus, but we'll accept Honey Select models - if the rest of the game is good enough. Never underestimate the power of a good music track and ambient sounds.

But, as others here have said, I'd forget chasing the cash... and focus on writing the story you'd personally like to play. As professional as you might be to your art and work ethic... actual passion for your creation can be the edge that sets your work apart from the dozen or so new projects that get started each month.

starboy66

Game Developer
Nov 2, 2017
As a long time developer I think you need to listen to what others say but also do what you passionate about. If you just listen to others you're game won't be that great and will become "work". But I understand you want to do what others also like so the game can be successful.

So LISTEN to what others say about your game, but don't let it drive your decision making. Let it help pick out the options you want to do already.

Oh and incest. What I have seen people want incest.

Mooncake!!!

Sep 28, 2017
Having spent some time on these forums... I think I can definitely help with "what do the community want?".
  • We want a game with NTR in it. But definitely no NTR.
  • We want a game with a good story. But we can't tell you what a good story is.
  • We want a game with lots of decisions, leading to multiple story lines. But we don't want to wait for all those story lines to be fleshed out properly.
  • We want a cute girl next door. But definitely no cute girl next door.
  • We want quality animations. But without increasing the size of the overall game.
  • We want incest. But none of those old incest tropes that have been used over and over.
  • We want well thought out characters, with well developed back stories. We also want those same characters to have meaningless sex in the first chapter.
  • We want linear stories. Without all that open world daytime/nighttime bullshit.
  • We want open world games, with complex mechanics and non linear gameplay.
  • We want minigames. But we want to be able to skip them... or not have them at all.
  • We want familiar stories. But we don't want to see the same old shit over and over again.
  • We want unique tropes.
  • We want highly specialized fetishes. But only the ones we like, not all that other kinky crap we don't like.
  • We want high quality rendering Di$ney would be proud of. We want you do do that on your 8yr old computer with onboard intel graphics card.
  • We want you to spend all your time talking to us. But miss a deadline and we'll lynch you.
  • We want you to have a team of 5 developers, paid for from the $18/mth you receive from Patreon.
  • But mainly we want world peace, money trees, golden eggs, dragons and a nymphomaniac partner, with their own brewery and private jet who likes visual novels too.

Seriously though... if you're just chasing the cash... Incest with optional NTR and a believable story (even if it's magic potions and/or hypnosis). Good renders are a nice bonus, but we'll accept Honey Select models - if the rest of the game is good enough. Never underestimate the power of a good music track and ambient sounds.

But, as others here have said, I'd forget chasing the cash... and focus on writing the story you'd personally like to play. As professional as you might be to your art and work ethic... actual passion for your creation can be the edge that sets your work apart from the dozen or so new projects that get started each month.
I think you kind of resumed the whole community here!!!! :LOL::LOL:
Maybe this should be on the start page of the forum!!!!

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I'd suggest that instead of asking people what they want, make something that they didn't know they wanted. Because otherwise you'll probably just end up making another by the numbers incest game, instead of something really cool and unique.

There have been tons of comments on here where people say this is a clone of that game. Usually wrong, only a few similarities.
But even if it's the exact same story, being told from a slightly different perspective, or with different characters, it might be of interest to others. I mentioned before, if you add up the hours, a good two years of my life is setting on a shelf in Hollywood.
Models, and scenes that were used in a movie ONCE. Such a waste. Much the same, there is a lot of potential in games that are sitting on shelves. Super Deepthroat didn't have millions of fans because it was only a few scenes with one character, it was popular because it had tons of characters. VARIETY
Imagine "Dating my redhead Daughter" another batch of players could enjoy the game. "Dating my Father"
"Big Sister" Where you play as Alice, or "Little Sister" where you play as Lisa.

Just because it's been done before, doesn't mean nothings left.

remake your games without blondes, you'll double your fans

obibobi

May 10, 2017
I know it seems obvious but the best games have passable writing and effort goes into making them.

To make a game you need a hook, now for many developers this is incest. If you go and check the top 5 most popular games on this site the premise is very basic, son or father romances. The reason it works so well is because it's taboo, establishes a connection between characters and as it's a fictional world you never really need to deal with any consequences.

Of course there are other hooks, teacher or slave owner, all have an element of breaking the rules which makes it spicier.

U

User_943044

Okay thank you guys :)

I am just gonna continue my gender bender game. I always find the story line is fun to make and yeah i did look up the popular games section and it fill with incest. I am gonna start from here and if it's failed i have experience, if it's success. It's a progress.

Maybe later i will relook on abandoned project and see if i can reboot the game. Simbro look nice.

Reactions: MrBree
Jun 25, 2018
If you go into the project knowing you won't make a dime, you'll be better off creatively. You'll be in the mindset to make the game you want since it'll be a passion project and any money you do make will be icing on the cake.

Once you set your genre, stick to it and there will be less waves and shoals later on. Even if it is something controversial like NTR, if people know it is there from day 1, you'll not have even 1% of the complaints compared to if you add it in later and risk driving away non-NTR fans. I've learned from experience to compartmentalize my genres. If I want to do incest I'll make a series dedicated to incest, and not try to shoehorn it in later.

Reactions: MrBree

Mooncake!!!

Sep 28, 2017
Hell, I printed it out and stuck on the wall next to my PC!

Best guidance -ever- :)
It IS right????:LOL::LOL::LOL:
It's kind of guidance for life!!!! Specially for you who is a game developer!!!! I think @79flavors is a true poet!!!!
Makes me think that the perfect game should be something called Switches (nothing related to the game Buttons, that is crowdsourced here in F95), where you start in a menu where you have switches for every possible kind of fetish and genre, and you turn them on and off according with what you want and then go have fun with your perfect story!!!!

Reactions: Nottravis

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
One thing that I will add: Games do not start out as popular.

If you're putting out incremental builds as you go, you shouldn't expect people to notice until you've been doing it for a solid six months or so. And even then, only if it's a really good game.

So, while it may feel frustrating and unrewarding, if you have a good game, and you keep plugging away at it while listening to feedback (without compromising the core of the game), then eventually you may get popular.

This is why you should make the game for you. So that you can enjoy what you've done, even if not many others seem to appreciate it. That should get you past the long hump before your game has a chance to get popular.

If you aren't excited to see what it looks like when it's done, then you shouldn't be surprised if other people aren't excited either.

Good luck! :)