[R>Writer] Paid SUBMISSIONS CLOSED: A House in the Rift needs writers! Well, one writer for now

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
EDIT3: Thank you for your attention and your submissions. The submissions period is now over.

Project:
The game is called A House in the Rift. It’s somewhat successful, currently residing in top 10 by reviews on this here site, with a healthy Patreon following, and a wonderful community on Discord.

The game is a blend of urban fantasy and plain old fantasy. Sort of a harem isekai, really, if it tells you anything. The protagonist gets sucked into a dimensional vortex, ends up in a modern house suspended in nothingness, girls from other fantasy dimensions also get transported into it, and then plot and sexy times happen. You can get the latest free release by following the link in my sig.

Developer:
Patreon -
Discord -

Looking for:
A writer.

Employment Type:
Paid, I am open to per-word, hourly rate, or basically any sane arrangement, and additional rev share bonus is quite possible later on.

Work commitment:
Long term part-time+. The development will take at least another year or two. I'd like you to dedicate at least 40 hours per month to this job. More, if you are able and we aren't limited by the available art.

Preferred method of contact:
Discord or telegram, discord strongly preferred.

Job Description:
I am not really a writer. And I am not a native English speaker either. And to top it all off, I am deeply unhappy with the pace of development. And this is where you come in, hopefully. I am looking for a writer to join the team, improve the word stuff, and speed up the development.

You will have to work with me on the script for the game. My biggest weakness is sex scene writing, so that’s the skill I’m most interested in, but there’s plenty of regular dialogue and scene work, too. Mind, this is a visual novel, so you will also have to do some technical writing explaining the scene setup, character movements and expressions. But more on that a bit later.

And even though I’m more of a “pantser” myself, most of the really big stuff is already planned. I will welcome your input, but please don’t expect me to change major plot points or characters.

Additional comments:
Here's how my scripts look:
And here’s a slightly condensed and more human-readable excerpt if the first one is too much:

There’s a lot here, but don’t worry, I can adapt your plain text writing if needed. That said, I would certainly appreciate it if you will be willing to learn the basics of RenPy (the engine used by the game) scripting.

I will ask you to do a very small test assignment for me. Writing for a game like this can be quite weird. You have to write from a second person point of view, provide a voice to the main character, and offer multiple reply choices now and then. If you already have experience in writing VNs and can show me your 18+ work, that’s awesome, and you can skip the first part of the assignment. The second part is still relevant, though, because your ability to match the voice of a character is very important to me.

Warning, NSFW visuals inside (duh)! Please either download one of those demo builds:
PC -
Mac -
Or take a look at the web version This one doesn’t have animations, and animations are a pretty big deal for my game, but it’s more than enough for the purposes of this test thing. The source script files are available here:

The first part of the assignment is to write your own take on the sex scene from the demo build. The sex scene in the demo build is an earlier one, and I like to think that I’ve improved as a writer since then, as this scene is pretty bad.

40 to 50 lines of text should be more than enough. If you have ideas on how to improve visuals, add your notes. If possible, use the script file from the link above as a reference, if it’s still a bit much, here’s a shortened version stripped out of all technical stuff: Or just write it as you usually would, really.

And for the second part, please write a bit of dialogue between Azraesha and Lyriel. Use the second (breakfast) scene from the linked demo build as a reference, but yours should be super small, 20 lines or so. They can discuss basically anything, just try to match their voices as best you can.

Here’s some more info on the characters to help you out:

Azraesha is a succubus. She is quite old in human years, but she can still be a bit childish and generally behaves like a naughty girl in her early twenties. Except for when there’s something important at stake, then she’s a fiercely loyal and wise companion. Rae likes to behave like a mock royalty, even though her life experience led her to despise aristocracy of any kind. She speaks with a british accent and never misses a chance to lightly tease others.

Lyriel is an actual royalty. Well, she was an actual royalty. She hails from a world where elves consider themselves as the pinnacle of creation, but at the same time are slowly getting pushed out to fringes by humans. She was exiled, had a number of nasty encounters, and then ended up in the house by accident, so she’s not exactly happy about the situation. She still tries to maintain her haughty demeanor bordering on being a spoiled brat, but fails often, and underneath she’s an insecure and vulnerable girl.

Feel free to reply or PM me for more details. If you are ready to do the test assignment, please send it here: zanith.one@gmail.com or upload it somewhere and send me a link.
If you don’t do unpaid test assignments on principle but are interested otherwise and can show me your writing, let me know, maybe we can work something out.

EDIT: Clarified workload, I'm expecting at least 40 hours of work per month from a writer.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020
Seems interesting. I’ll definitely draw something up for this either tomorrow or the day after. I used to freelance erotica stories for minor publishers & at one time published my own. It granted me very minor awards on amazon years ago.

So I have tons of material I can prove is mine as well as copyrights.

I’m unfamiliar with the programming listed but it shouldn’t be hard to learn. I do have some knowledge of c#,c++ & assembly to reverse engineer iOS apps.(I like free stuff lol)

Even if I don’t make the cut, I wouldn’t mind storyboarding or scripting “special” scenes that don’t particularly fit into the dynamics of the story. For bonus material to cure my boredom.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
Hello!

Quick question: Do you have a closing date for this recruitment opportunity? Or a rough idea in mind for how long you intend to collect applications before pulling the trigger?

I would love to take the time to play through your game (maybe a couple times), to better understand and be able to inhabit your characters, before I complete the test assignment you've posted. (Unless there's some reason you might prefer someone complete the assignment without having played the game first?)

But I'd hate to miss out on being considered for this opportunity because I took too long soaking in your game!

Thank you.
Sure thing, take your time. I try to judge the submissions based on the demo I provided, but of course I will be somewhat biased towards folks who have a more thorough understanding of the characters.

And I won't be making the final decision before the end of the month, so at the very least you have a full week to submit your work.

Enigmanic

Nov 4, 2019
I am interested in the position. I've been doing creative writing as a hobby since I was young. I currently run two online erotic D&D campaigns through Roll20 and Discord. I would love to write for an erotic video game. I'm also obsessive compulsive and a bit of a grammar nazi so I'd love to help fix any grammar mistakes and typos in the game's dialog and narration content.

I'll look over your assignment when I get home from work in the morning. You're welcome to message me in Discord if you're interested.

Shinoera

Jan 13, 2019
Hey!
Hmm... Well, I must say I'm rather tempted to try :sneaky:
I'm going to do something I hope you'll like. Here are my presentation and the presentation of my work if you want to know who I am and some examples of what I've been able to do: Here.
But to make a long story short here, I think my experience can be a plus, as I've already written stories on different websites containing fantasy, fights or sexual scenes, I think I'm doing pretty well with this kind of stuff. I've also already worked on a script for a VN with a friend, but it never saw the light of day unfortunately... The drawing being the problem :HideThePain:
I've also played a lot of VNs of this type, including Japanese VNs.

So, I was wondering, though, is your whole story already polished? Or are you thinking about stretching it out if you get some news and fresh ideas?

And secondly, I read in the reviews of your VN that people were satisfied with most of the things in it. Including the writing î_î So I was wondering, what do you expect from a writer to improve your story?

I haven't read enough of your VN to know what needs to be reworked, but seeing that so many people enjoy your writing makes me wonder what you really want from me or anyone else interested in this work.

Already thanks for the answers (y)

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
So, I was wondering, though, is your whole story already polished? Or are you thinking about stretching it out if you get some news and fresh ideas?
The overarching story is more or less done in my head, but there are a lot of blank spots in it. I'm more of a "panters" myself, I don't plan the whole story or even an event before sitting down and actually writing it. I know how I want to end the big story and I have some outlines for the next few events I'm going to add, but that's it. There's certainly room for side stories and various detours.

And secondly, I read in the reviews of your VN that people were satisfied with most of the things in it. Including the writing î_î So I was wondering, what do you expect from a writer to improve your story?

I haven't read enough of your VN to know what needs to be reworked, but seeing that so many people enjoy your writing makes me wonder what you really want from me or anyone else interested in this work.

Already thanks for the answers (y)
I mostly want to improve the pace of development. I've been feeling a bit burnt out, and my productivity tanked. I wasn't ever happy with the amount of content I could do in a month, but now I'm especially unhappy, and my The List of Things To Do keeps growing.

And while I don't think that my writing is anything special, I like to think that I managed to pull off some decent characters with their own voice. That's why it's so important to me that my future writing partner will be able to match their voices and expand on what I have.