VN Unity A Long Journey - Marvellous Lunatic [Development Thread] [Released]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
While writing the first act i decided to add dream sequences with the ex-girlfriend of the mc to have some sexual content right from the beginning.

Char_Pia.png

I've set up a scene where the first few dream sequences should happen. I'm not quite fond of the lightning and rendering time for the shots yet. Anyway here are two lightning sketches with her:

Dream_1_MainHallNight_2021-05-02_01.08.39.png

Dream_1_MainHallNight_2021-05-02_01.08.55.png

I also wanted to extend the first scene where the mc finds out about his situation. So i added a little hologram npc that will provide some answers. That's Ina (Information Network Assistance). I'm thinking about giving her a similar plot line to Edi from Mass Effect where she receives a body. But that would just happen at a much later point in the story. So this was just a basic test of a hologram-test.

Char_Ina.png

Reactions: Hor4tius and Reifon

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
While writing the first act i decided to add dream sequences with the ex-girlfriend of the mc to have some sexual content right from the beginning.

I've set up a scene where the first few dream sequences should happen. I'm not quite fond of the lightning and rendering time for the shots yet. Anyway here are two lightning sketches with her:
Maybe a bit more fill lighting in from the left behind of camera, the coloration around her eyes already makes it look dark enough

Reactions: Marvellous Lunatic

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Progress Update

NightTalk_1.png

Content Update
- Currently ~130 renders are finished and edited
- 1 animation done (180 Frames / 45FPS)
- 13 Pages of dialogue written

Engine Updates
Feature Improvements
- Indicators on open and close quick navigation
- Close-Button in SD-Main-Menu
- Clicking in empty space next to the SD-Menu closes the menu
- Right click open and closes SD-Menu
- Bigger return-button in SD-Menu
- Vertical-Scrollable-Images within dialogue added
- Slider for playback-speed adjustments if animation is played

Bug-Fixes
- Minor issues on rollback
- Various typos
- Missing locations on Map-Menu

Current Focus
Writing dialogue for planed scenes while images are rendering.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Progress Update

Intro_259.jpg

Major scenes for chapter one are written and rendered. 2 rather short scenes for the main story need to be rendered. 1 of 7 short events for the free-roaming mode is rendered.
I am currently posing and rendering the bigger lewd scene of chapter one.
First release is coming closer.

Summary
Current Status:
~ 330 images done
- 3 animations
- 24 pages of dialog

ToDos:
- 2 short intro scenes need to be rendered
- Second part of dream sequence (in progress)
- 7 short events (1 is already rendered)
- 4 bugs / issues to fix
- Finalizing dialog (80% done)
- Merge dialog and control commands (~ 25% done)
- 2 secret bonus images

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
20210722.jpg

Progress Update
Test-Build is finally finished and i am quite happy with it. Had to do quite some refactoring on the engine after play testing to make it more robust. If the tests are going well i will probably release the first episode this weekend.
The first episode is mostly linear. After the main story of the first chapter is finished there are a few small events to play in free roam mode and a few secrets to be found.
I have still quite a few things i want to add to the engine, but for the moment i will most likely focus on more content (and bug fixes of course).

Note
My antivirus software started when I was deleting a lot of old game saves and character configurations in game. I haven't found any solution other than trusting the application in the antivirus software.
I am sorry for the inconvenience should you experience this behavior.

Content
~ 400 dialogue/event renders
- 9 animations (6 lewd, 2 normal and a segment of the trailer as intro)
- 36 pages of dialogue
- 3 replayable scenes
- 3 Secrets

QOS (since last Progress Update)
- added windowed mode support
- improved responsive GUI
- .webp Support
- rollback clears toasts
- toasts when tasks are completed
- sort saves by last save date
- increased scroll-speed on hacking game
- updated help
- select input field when shown

Fixed bugs/issues (since last Progress Update)
- hiding functionality for mini vertical scroll-image
- fixed collapsing buttons on map menu
- fixed event-end-commands handling on rollback
- fixed loading wrong image on saves after new build
- fixed save is looping on animations
- reset playback-speed-slider on rollback
- fixed images with spelling mistakes (Suites, Apartments, Manufactory)
- fixed wrong label on some modal dialogues
- fixed synchronization of save games after deleting one
- fixed rollback handling for navigation events
- fixed repainting character config combo-box after deleting a configuration

Reactions: Hor4tius

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Progress Update - Dialogue editing leads to delay

I received feedback on the latest test build. The engine works fine, just a couple of copy and paste errors, but everything else goes pretty smoothly. However, the quality of the dialogue seems to be "contentious".
Critics where, I'm using sentences that native speakers probably wouldn't use. So grammar and sentence structure were one point. Another issue was the amount of swearing I added and some repetitive dialogue.

I had to decide if I would try to improve it myself even if I had already used the spelling and grammar checkers but they are just not perfect, or if I would leave it as it is now and live with that gripe , or I would accept help.
I was really struggling to decide whether or not to seek help. I wanted to do everything by myself. However, it seems that I cannot deliver everything at the level that I would like to have on my own. So I took help.

I found a generous editor to help me with the dialogues and everything is setup to begin editing.

Another decision I had to make was whether to release the game as it is and do another release with the updated version, or postpone the first release until editing is done.

I decided to wait until it's final before posting. I think first impressions count.

During the editing and the review of the editing, I'll start writing the scenes for the next update so hopefully this doesn't add to a delay in the next update.

So, please bear with me. Believe me, to postpone the update was a hard decision and it is really bothering me. I practically have a working build, but i think with an edited dialogue it will be even better, obviously.

Kind regards.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018

Release_020.jpg

Editing of dialog is finished. A huge shout out to osanaiko who was helping me the last 2 weeks fixing the dialogues. A big thanks to Bismo as well for testing and giving feedback.
As this is the first release with actual story content I will release this build without cheat options for all tiers. With the next release the tier benefits will apply.
With this release the story begins. Characters are introduced, some of their background stories and the main story sets off. Most of the content in this build is linear in a kinetic novel style. At the end you are free to look around in sandbox like environment where you can explore the spaceship and trigger a few smaller events or look for some secrets.
I'm aware the navigation isn't the most intuitive to use right now in free roam mode. I'll will try to add an introduction in the next episode on how to move through the ship and I'm working on a better map.

Feel free to leave comments and critics.

Content
~ 400 dialogue/event renders
- 9 animations (6 lewd, 2 normal and a segment of the trailer as intro)
- 36 pages of dialogue
- 3 replayable scenes
- 3 Secrets

QOS (since last Progress Update)
- cleaner transition fades
- checkbox setting for inverting scroll-wheel input
- merged contact and messages menu
- checkbox setting for letterboxing (Content screen stays in 16:9 aspect ratio and empty spaces are filled with black)
- added credits

Fixed bugs/issues (since last Progress Update)
- fixed main menu music stops after one track
- fixed quick saves has no name
- deactivated advance time feature in dialogues
- hide tool-tips on save previews
- fixed translation handling couldn't interpret values with square brackets
- fixed static animation fade time

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
[Release] A Long Journey - Betelgeuse [Build 0.2.0]
Woohoo!!! Congratulations! :love::love::love:

Editing of dialog is finished. A huge shout out to osanaiko who was helping me the last 2 weeks fixing the dialogues.
It was my pleasure!
  • I love sci-fi as a setting for a story,
  • the graphics and animations are awesome
  • The story concept and dialogue is super interesting and has actual character development. And now that we worked together to give it a bit of a native-speaker-polish I think it's pretty good reading too ;)
  • the custom game engine is really really good, better than any other self-coded Unity VN engine I've seen before on this site. It's refreshing to play a game that's not Renpy based, it just feels different.
I'm wishing for this game to be a great success. (y)

SHER!FF

Aug 15, 2019
OK, beautiful job so far! I made it to the cryo section and checked out my team. Been all over the ship and not finding any more content. No hints, no tasks. Is this it?

Reactions: Marvellous Lunatic

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
OK, beautiful job so far! I made it to the cryo section and checked out my team. Been all over the ship and not finding any more content. No hints, no tasks. Is this it?
Story-wise yes. Only a few secrets. I will add another toast next time to make it more clear the main story content is finished.

InfiniTales

Aug 11, 2021
Currently i'am not able to create a 3d game with character models this detailed and shaded like this. Looking in the future this probably will possible with unreal engine + metahuman or other similiar plattforms. Depending on how successful this project will be, i would like the next game to be 3d if i can manage to create a similiar look.
Aw chucks! I was convinced especially those environment images and trailer were all inside the Unity HDRP engine! My desktop is quite old, but was high end at the time of buying (my GTX 980 had just been released). Iray renders in Daz take a looong time (I'm impatient) to render, and I got pretty excited to see Unity's engine render environments and Daz models in realtime at qualities that are not *that* different.

Character details definitely look more realistic in DAZ, but it seems to me that Unity has an advantage in environment rendering, once some work has been put into setting light and reflection probes and baking the maps. I've always felt that Daz renders can contain amazingly goodlooking characters, but there's usually a disconnect with the environment and background where the lighting and shadows are... different, not on the same level.

Now please keep in mind that this is the opinion of someone who never spent that much time in Daz or delved deep into its settings. I've learned just enough about Daz to know that setting up and rendering images like those in some of the games here must've taken a looooong time and I certainly appreciate the investment and dedication of Daz creators.

It's just that, to me, it very often clearly shows that the primary focus in Daz software has always been character rendering. Game engines are more or less the opposite, from the start they needed to be good at creating worlds and environments.

Anyways, Great work! You've clearly put an incredible amount of time and work into this!

P.S. How's that programming in D# coming along? =D

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Where to find 1 secret?
If you hover over the locked symbol in the secrets menu you get a small hint. I don't want to be more specific, as I think they should be a little challenge.

Aw chucks! I was convinced especially those environment images and trailer were all inside the Unity HDRP engine! My desktop is quite old, but was high end at the time of buying (my GTX 980 had just been released). Iray renders in Daz take a looong time (I'm impatient) to render, and I got pretty excited to see Unity's engine render environments and Daz models in realtime at qualities that are not *that* different.

Character details definitely look more realistic in DAZ, but it seems to me that Unity has an advantage in environment rendering, once some work has been put into setting light and reflection probes and baking the maps. I've always felt that Daz renders can contain amazingly goodlooking characters, but there's usually a disconnect with the environment and background where the lighting and shadows are... different, not on the same level.

Now please keep in mind that this is the opinion of someone who never spent that much time in Daz or delved deep into its settings. I've learned just enough about Daz to know that setting up and rendering images like those in some of the games here must've taken a looooong time and I certainly appreciate the investment and dedication of Daz creators.

It's just that, to me, it very often clearly shows that the primary focus in Daz software has always been character rendering. Game engines are more or less the opposite, from the start they needed to be good at creating worlds and environments.

Anyways, Great work! You've clearly put an incredible amount of time and work into this!

P.S. How's that programming in D# coming along? =D
Every program serves his purpose. Game-engines aren't modeling tools. Daz3D is good character creator for people who don't have the time / ability to create characters / poses in this quality. Like me.
Assets or complete environments are created in applications like cinema4d, blender, 3dsmax, maya.
In therms of rendering you have to lower your expectations for quality in real time rendering engines like Unity. Rendering subsurface scattering, absorption, transmission, refraction and other light-transporting algorithms are very hard to do in real time.
But with time and new algorithms that may be possible in the future. Unreal Engine 5 with Meta-Human looks incredible. If I would start over now, I would use this.
Blender - Eevee or the upcoming Otoy Brigade allow complex real-time rendering as well.

Anyway the disconnect between characters and environments is mostly in the hand of the artists / composers. Usually the characters are extremely detailed and less attention is paid to the background assets. This is not a fault of Daz3D but the choice of the artist.

I know my self created environments aren't incredible detailed as well, but like I said. I wanted something unique.

P.S. I guess MC cum's along. Not only his mind is sharp ;)

InfiniTales

Aug 11, 2021
In therms of rendering you have to lower your expectations for quality in real time rendering engines like Unity. Rendering subsurface scattering, absorption, transmission, refraction and other light-transporting algorithms are very hard to do in real time.
You might want to have a look at what game engines can do these days. I don't follow the unreal engine, but Unity's HDRP can do all the things you named, built-in without additional assets. Downside is higher hardware requirements, it won't run on mobile.

Check a youtube video called "Realistic Glass Material in Unity HDRP" to see what it can do. And that's without enabling raytracing. Doesn't show things like subsurface scattering but it's supported as well.

I know my self created environments aren't incredible detailed as well, but like I said. I wanted something unique.
Your attention to environments is exactly what drew my attention and what made me think it might've been in Unity! =)

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
You might want to have a look at what game engines can do these days. I don't follow the unreal engine, but Unity's HDRP can do all the things you named, built-in without additional assets. Downside is higher hardware requirements, it won't run on mobile.

Check a youtube video called "Realistic Glass Material in Unity HDRP" to see what it can do. And that's without enabling raytracing. Doesn't show things like subsurface scattering but it's supported as well.

Your attention to environments is exactly what drew my attention and what made me think it might've been in Unity! =)
Unity and other engines like Unreal can do this to a level of abstraction and simplification. Render engines like octane, iray and many others use more complex methods of light/energy transportation and therefore can be more true or closer to reality.
But yes, the real time engines get better and better by the time and that's quite exciting.

Thanks for your comments btw!

Reactions: InfiniTales

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
Just one question - are you planning to include NTR - because if you do please let us know as many will not proceed (myself included) as we hate NTR

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
Anyone know how to get by the god dam minigames - I never understood why dev's insist on adding these without a skip button
they completely destroy the fun of the story

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Just one question - are you planning to include NTR - because if you do please let us know as many will not proceed (myself included) as we hate NTR
No ntr.

Anyone know how to get by the god dam minigames - I never understood why dev's insist on adding these without a skip button
they completely destroy the fun of the story
In the hacking game you have to search for the code snipped that is shown on the left side in the scroll view on the right side. Don't try to read it word by word, try to look for resemblance in structure, length and coloring. It's more a pattern recognition game.
I added this mini-game and will add more for the simple fact that I like those mini games. As the story is fairly linear at the moment I like to break it up with a little bit of interaction.

By the way, this is the deprecated development thread. This is the up-to-date thread:
https://f95zone.to/threads/a-long-journey-tech-demo-marvellous-lunatic.80170/

I'll edit op to make it more obvious.

BGRW2020

Jul 8, 2020
No ntr.

In the hacking game you have to search for the code snipped that is shown on the left side in the scroll view on the right side. Don't try to read it word by word, try to look for resemblance in structure, length and coloring. It's more a pattern recognition game.
I added this mini-game and will add more for the simple fact that I like those mini games. As the story is fairly linear at the moment I like to break it up with a little bit of interaction.

By the way, this is the deprecated development thread. This is the up-to-date thread:
https://f95zone.to/threads/a-long-journey-tech-demo-marvellous-lunatic.80170/

I'll edit op to make it more obvious.
Thanks for your reply, I still don't like mini games but thanks for your point of view / reply

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes