• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

A Normal Life [Development Thread]

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
After the revamp, zero renders, very little of the code base and only key plot points from my previous game remain, so I've decided to create a new game title and a new, cleaner development thread. I'd love to see your suggestions for titles - the main character is a soldier returning back to civilian life who gets invited to stay with his childhood friend while he readjusts. A lot of secrets are uncovered about his childhood friend and he finds an interesting new profession in the process.

I've created a more intuitive UI.
  • Circles indicate interactable items and people, while triangles indicate buttons to progress to the next area.
  • Some interactable items will be optional for extra story, character building or events, meaning you can progress the story faster sometimes by going directly to triangles.
  • To keep things simple, I've decided to keep a maximum of around four interactable items in any single area.
View attachment UI.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: Reifon

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've completed the first scene and have started work on the second.
  • All code, renders and a first draft for dialogue/story is complete for the first scene.
  • All code and a first draft for dialogue/story is complete for the second scene.
  • Renders for the second scene have begun.
  • The first episode will consist of 7-10 scenes.
106e.png

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've completed the second scene and I'm looking for beta testers.
  • The second scene is completed and I've completed some work on the third.
  • All branching paths have been finished, music and SFX has been added throughout and the writing is up to a good standard.
  • I'm now looking for beta testers to demo the small amount of content. I'm specifically looking for any feedback on the UI and game mechanics. Get in touch with me here.
211.png

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I'm back from a little break where I worked on another project.
  • I've made some small touch ups for renders in the first episode.
  • This is my primary focus now and there should be many more development updates soon.

106f_r - old.png 106f_r.png

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
looks great! when is there a release date for an update?
I'm around 25% finished with episode one, depending on how many branching paths and "side stories" I add. It took me around 10 days to get there, so a very rough estimate for episode one release would be another month.

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've added a memories system to the game and streamlined code.
  • I've added a non obtrusive memories system to the main menu.
  • You can access it inside and outside of the game.
  • You can add any branching path memories with additional playthroughs.
  • The memories system works with animations as well as images.
  • I've also spent a lot of time streamlining other code. Adding new interactable objects, memories, timed responses and other stuff only takes writing a couple of words now.
View attachment Base Profile 2021.11.10 - 00.12.07.03.mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: Reifon and Phanex

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've fixed some bugs and worked on the character model.
  • I've fixed bugs with the new code that messed up rollback, skip and saves.
  • I've moved name choice to the main menu preferences, now you can change your roommates name mid game and you don't have to deal with a screen at the beginning asking you for input.
  • I've worked on the character model face, I need to do a little more work on it and then create a set of expressions.
  • I've also been thinking more about lighting and decided to go for more traditional three point lighting with ambient light as filler.
  • Below is a before and after for the roommate character model.

before.png after.png

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've finished the character model.
  • Next up: creating a bunch of realistic expressions, poses and perhaps a couple of minor tweaks to body proportions like neck size.

hmm.png

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've finalized model proportions and have started work on expressions.
  • I've completed the minor tweaks to body proportions. Face and body are finalized.
  • I've begun work on expressions. The smile needs more work to look genuine. Low res samples are below.
mouth open relaxed.png neutral.png smile.png subtle smile.png

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've finalized some base expressions and re-rendered the first roommate scenes.
  • A few base expressions are done, specific ones will be done on the fly in a new setup that speeds up the process.
  • The re-renders for your roommate in the first scene are done.
106e.png 106e.png
note: preview renders of characters will be shown less often from here on to avoid spoilers.

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I've redone the intro and completed some more renders.
  • The intro music and visuals have been improved, you can see them below.
  • Almost all roommate images have been rendered. Two more remain that require the rewrite before being completed.
View attachment Base Profile 2021.12.02 - 08.10.26.08.mp4

Note: thanks to anyone patiently waiting. I'm developing slowly due to other commitments and quality checking, but the game will get done.

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
Minor tweaks to intro audio, minor bug fixes and death scenes.
  • I've edited the intro sound to fit better, the intro feels finished now but I may come back to it.
  • I've fixed a couple of minor bugs.
  • I've created a death scene generator. Deaths now send you to heaven or hell based on choices you've made and randomly grab a scene using the main characters as angels or demons. After this you're sent back to the moment before you died. Dying should be fairly difficult to do unless you're trying to.
dw102.png

Last edited:

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
A deep dive into the finished changes to the code base.
  • Images are automatically added to memories. Adding a memory takes typing 5 characters and the code handles the rest.
  • All buttons that belong to an image are automatically shown when you can see the image. Adding buttons is as simple as typing an image name, button names and their location.
  • All labels that are used for buttons are automatically returned to their parent label unless specified otherwise.
  • Changing a single variable can remove the button from the image, show the button or hide the relevant object to the button i.e. on pickup of the object.
  • All quick time events now are automatically created by jumping to a specific label i.e. 206_qt1 and ended and scored by jumping to 206_qt1_success or 206_qt1_fail labels.
  • All screens that are attached to images are automatically shown when the image is.
  • Name colors of everyone except the MC and roommate are randomly generated in a non-repeating way with color gaps large enough to tell them apart.
  • Some other minor things I can't remember.

Below you can see the code in action.

1640844510321.png
In as few words as I can - this code adds several memories, checks if a path is taken, shows buttons for an image, does a quick time event when the button is pressed, adds romance or dominance points on a specific character with graphics, shows a notification that a character will remember something, alters the visibility of buttons and screens on another image if a path has been taken and all while delivering dialogue and story.

Simply put, the majority of what I have to do now to "code" the story is put the images and dialogue in the correct order under the correct labels and change a couple variables as i go. I'd be seriously impressed if anyone is able to do everything i did here more efficiently.