A question about system specs.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
I have been working on a project and my render times are kind of extreme...

For a complex scene my computer can take up to seven hours to finish a single render.

Computer specs:

Processor: i7 4770k 3.5Hz
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 32GB DDR3
Storage: SSD 1TB

Daz3D is not installed on the system drive, C: drive is a 7200 rpm HDD, the processor architecture is LGA 1150, and the memory is DDR3. I was wondering if maybe my system creates some sort of bottleneck or maybe the software is not optimized for my hardware.
Daz3D is using the GPU to render (I checked with GPU-Z) is not like is trying to use the CPU to render.

Maybe I need to upgrade my system to LGA 1151 and DDR4...
LGA 1150 motherboard architecture is even out of production now.

Is it something else I can do to improve render times?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I don't think it's a system power problem, the processor is not very important, I work with an older i5 with one of my computers, the memory is perfect and the graphics card is enough.

Maybe if as you say the scene is complex, those times are normal, there are scenes that can take 30 minutes or less and others that will take hours... although for 7 hours, it must be really complex, hehe

I think that to reduce the times you could try to optimize the scene: check the lights used, eliminate or hide the elements that are not seen in the plane, reduce the quality of textures if it is a distant plane, etc, etc., etc.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
If you use a different render program, you would be happier with the results. Daz studio can only handle so much.
If you must use Daz, you can break up your scene into smaller units, and stitch them together with photoshop.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
I have been working on a project and my render times are kind of extreme...

For a complex scene my computer can take up to seven hours to finish a single render.

Computer specs:

Processor: i7 4770k 3.5Hz
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 32GB DDR3
Storage: SSD 1TB

Daz3D is not installed on the system drive, C: drive is a 7200 rpm HDD, the processor architecture is LGA 1150, and the memory is DDR3. I was wondering if maybe my system creates some sort of bottleneck or maybe the software is not optimized for my hardware.
Daz3D is using the GPU to render (I checked with GPU-Z) is not like is trying to use the CPU to render.

Maybe I need to upgrade my system to LGA 1151 and DDR4...
LGA 1150 motherboard architecture is even out of production now.

Is it something else I can do to improve render times?
1/ What ressolution you using?
2/ What drivers you using?
3/ post here render you done and time you need to made it.

You system is not Bad for start. There must be another issue.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
How many iterations did the system go through in that time? This sounds like either you have some setting dialed WAY up that's requiring iRay to do a LOT of work, or else, as Joraell said, something very weird is going on.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
How many iterations did the system go through in that time? This sounds like either you have some setting dialed WAY up that's requiring iRay to do a LOT of work, or else, as Joraell said, something very weird is going on.
I think it went through 150k iterations.
The scene has grass, trees, other plants, glass, frosted glass, a Terra dome 3 environment, cityscapes, and props.
Also has a genesis 8 model...

render coverage is 98, quality is set to 2, and also the location I'm using is from a bundle and the person who made it welded the whole house together; I can't just use a room gotta load the whole thing.
I'm stuck with that model at least for the game intro but I will use the regular version after that,the bundle looks cool but is a pain to work with.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
The scene has grass, trees, other plants, glass, frosted glass, a Terra dome 3 environment, cityscapes, and props.

render coverage is 98, quality is set to 2, and also the location I'm using is from a bundle and the person who made it welded the whole house together; I can't just use a room gotta load the whole thing.
I'm stuck with that model at least for the game intro but I will use the regular version after that,the bundle looks cool but is a pain to work with.
150k iteration??? LOL o_O

Lower the quality from 2 to 1, that's enough.
Render coverage you can leave it at 98 but normally with 95 there is enough, and even if it doesn't seem that 3% more can increase the time.
Set the maximum time to 0 so that it is unlimited and the iteration you can leave it at 5.000 which is as it comes by default, if you need more quality set it at 10.000, but 150.000 is a barbarity.

If grass, trees or plants are seen from a distance you can optimize the textures (reduce their resolution). This application goes very well and is very easy to use:

Even if you have to load the whole house, you can still remove parts through the "Geometry Editor" in the advanced options.

Reactions: 9thCrux

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017

Work better with lighting. Specially the dome lighting. 150k iterations is too way much and I think there is not possible to do 150K on one 1080 in 7 hours maybe 15K :). But still, decent render you do in 5000 if you work good with lights. Of course there is sometimes exceptions.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Ya, the "quality 2" may have a lot to do with it. The "quality" setting affects how iRay decides that a pixel has converged. The "98%" setting then says "...and 98% of them have to have converged." I don't ever move the quality setting off the default - it seems to be fine for me. I do sometimes kick the convergence up from 95% to 98%, but that's about it. I don't remember any of my scenes ever going over 10,000 iterations.

The other thing is that I thought Terradome was designed for 3Delight, not for iRay. (Could be wrong, but that's my memory.) It's much more common to light iRay scenes with an HDRI than with any kind of skydome. This could potentially be having a significant impact on iRay, since none of the rays it shoots out are ever going to "go to infinity." Wouldn't surprise me if this is a big part of the issue.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
hardware:
Maybe I need to upgrade my system to LGA 1151 and DDR4
Not worth it in my opinion. GPU-power is king. That base-system is excellent. IF the powersupply can handle it, ebay a cheap/used 1080 or 1070 (since both have 8GB) to speed up rendering. Still that could also be a bad advise for the future in case DAZ gets *real* support for the RTX-cards. Nobody knows. A bad time for upgrades. Let's hope RTX prices will drop when AMD releases Navi 10 hopefully this summer and DAZ gets the software support for this hardware.

software:
Have you tried the AI denoiser in the DAZ beta? The updated Iray-version in the beta seems to be faster in general. ~5% in my test.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
For me there's really 2 factors that dwarf everything else when it comes to determining render times.

1. Memory. The more memory the scene takes, the longer it takes to render especially if it pushes me past the point where the GPU can render the scene and I have to rely on the CPU instead. But even if both are rendered entirely by the GPU or CPU, a scene that takes more memory will take longer to render for me.
2. Reflective surfaces. Any scene that includes mirrors, reflective tiles, etc takes MUCH longer to render for me than a comparable scene where the surfaces are not reflective.

Scene optimizer is great for the first problem as well as hiding/deleting objects that might not really be needed for the scene. I still haven't found a good solution to the 2nd problem other than using camera angles that allow me to hide as many reflective surfaces as possible. Most of my renders take about 20 minutes but if it's in an area with a lot of reflective surfaces that jumps to more like 2 hours. If I exceed about 10GB of memory then it can take 8+ hours so I scrap it and redo the scen til I can get that memory utilization down if I have one like that. Your system is WAY more powerful than mine so it also sounds like you're just using some overly high quality settings.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
The other thing is that I thought Terradome was designed for 3Delight, not for iRay. (Could be wrong, but that's my memory.) It's much more common to light iRay scenes with an HDRI than with any kind of skydome.
Interesting, I'm not sure about it myself but if Terra dome 3 is not meant to be used with iRay then I will try an HDRI.

Have you tried the AI denoiser in the DAZ beta? The updated Iray-version in the beta seems to be faster in general. ~5% in my test.
I haven't tried the AI denoiser in the beta version, the denoiser was blurring my renders last time I used it.
Also I need to try that geometry editor, it maybe better than using the base asset and building up each room or section.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Porcus Dev

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
also the location I'm using is from a bundle and the person who made it welded the whole house together; I can't just use a room gotta load the whole thing.
This might also be your problem. It was counterintuitive to me until I thought about it a bit more but everything in your scene increases render time even if it's not actually visible in the render window. I've been tweaking things today for one of the scenes I'm doing to try and optimize it a bit and just hiding all of the objects that are not visible in the render window cut my render time by more than 1 hour for an otherwise identical image. Identical settings, no change in lighting or camera position etc. I suspect in my case the big difference was hiding the giant floor to ceiling mirror that covered an entire wall adjacent to, but not visible in my render.

Even though it's not visible, Daz still has to calculate how light bounces off of all that stuff behind the camera, etc.

Evil Dr Porkchop

Brought to you by expensive technology
Donor
May 16, 2019
upgrade your motherboard DDR 4 Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz better chip set I7 should be able to handle anything,disable one drive,Bitlocker,look up your BIOS setting's see if you can overclock,make your C drive SSD,rollback the GTX drivers to pre 2070 the new drivers suck,running RTX 2070 shitty card

Look at your running tasks