Ren'Py A question to all players. Sprites or Unique Renders in 3D Games?

Same as title

• Sprites with Unique H Scenes are Fine for 3D Games

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I want Unique Renders for everything that happens in 3D Games

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Just wanna see the result

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
So the options itself convey the question. I have seen 3D games using sprites and full CG renders for H scenes like for 2D games. This lets the devs release the game quicker while the other 3d games use unique render for everything that happens in the game.

Which one would you people prefer?

tomcire

Jun 12, 2018
Everything depends on how you apply your assets.
If you use unique 3D to enhance the storytelling with good transitions and animations (like Eternum) that's great.
If you don't... IMHO is a waste of energy, time and memory on HD, you can achieve the same result with some sprites.
You can use both, you can use sprites for normal dialogues, and the important scenes may have some dedicated render.

Reactions: immortalkid69

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Which one would you people prefer?
The one that will have an interesting story.

I tend to find games relying on sprite too static, because the said sprites will rarely match exactly the context, but this doesn't mean that the game itself can't be interesting. And there's anyway too many games relying only in full renders that have the same issue, so...

• Thinking Face
Reactions: immortalkid69

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
Why did you tag this as Ren'Py when you're asking about 3D games? :WaitWhat: I'm confused on what's being asked. Are you asking about 2DCG vs live 3D rendering in 3D games?

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018
i was talking in the context of renpy games
So are people making 3D games in Ren'Py now? I don't get it. Even if i assume you meant "3DCG" instead of "3D games," the options still don't make sense to me. Are you asking about doing everything in 3DCG except the H-scenes? If so, mixing styles is usually a bad idea and not well-received.

immortalkid69

Jun 13, 2022
So are people making 3D games in Ren'Py now? I don't get it. Even if i assume you meant "3DCG" instead of "3D games," the options still don't make sense to me. Are you asking about doing everything in 3DCG except the H-scenes? If so, mixing styles is usually a bad idea and not well-received.
No its not about 3d or 2d. I am talking about using sprites or not for a 3dcg game.

Jan 14, 2023
I feel like sprites are kind of an easy way out. They're just a canned icon with a background. I say renders in the context of the scene. It's more natural and believable.