A team

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
How would I go about finding other people that can help with my game and how would it work? I don't have patrons on my patreon yet so idk how I'd go about payments right now, also not too sure how you collaborate with people over the net. Any advice?

M

MightyMidnightMop

It depends a lot on what you are looking to build and what you bring to the table. At the least, you'll need a script and you'll need some programming knowledge. Possibly someone to create the art/animations if the game calls for that.

I wouldn't worry about a Patreon account at first. Get a game that's functional first. If people like it, then get a Patreon. That's when you'd want to start talking about money.

Collaboration can be done by:

Discord, if you're looking for a real-time chat kind of protocol. It's good for small questions. Hey what do you think of this system (you send a link). Can you change this?

Email for more long-drawn out discussions or for dumping documents. If you're serious about doing gamedev, I'd strongly recommend you get an email for it.

Trello, if you want a way to manage issues. You can create cards easily that specify what needs to be done, manage priorities, keep track of what's been done, and so on. It's a lightweight management system last I checked, without the formalities of, say, bugzilla.

I'm new to this field myself, but I imagine if you're recruiting, you'd want answers to the following:

What do you contribute to the team? It needs to be more than "being the idea guy". Be the programmer, the artist, or the person who is writing out the scenes.

Who are you looking for?

What is the scope of the game? It's good to build a small system at first and scale it up. Get an idea of how difficult big ideas are before being set on having to have them. How do your ideas fit into a whole?

What's the general pitch of your game?

What kinds of fetishes/themes are you interested in adding?

What do you NOT want in your game?

I might have missed some. I'm still new to this space.

But I'm not entirely new. I've been programming as a hobby for a while now. I haven't touched Ren'Py or Unity, but I taught myself C and later C++, among others. I'm good at the logic part, but I can't do art unless you want bad stick figures. I can proofread, but I don't see myself being able to do writing.

If you think I could help, send me a PM.

Reactions: bugglebox

bugglebox

Jan 13, 2018
It depends a lot on what you are looking to build and what you bring to the table. At the least, you'll need a script and you'll need some programming knowledge. Possibly someone to create the art/animations if the game calls for that.

I wouldn't worry about a Patreon account at first. Get a game that's functional first. If people like it, then get a Patreon. That's when you'd want to start talking about money.

Collaboration can be done by:

Discord, if you're looking for a real-time chat kind of protocol. It's good for small questions. Hey what do you think of this system (you send a link). Can you change this?

Email for more long-drawn out discussions or for dumping documents. If you're serious about doing gamedev, I'd strongly recommend you get an email for it.

Trello, if you want a way to manage issues. You can create cards easily that specify what needs to be done, manage priorities, keep track of what's been done, and so on. It's a lightweight management system last I checked, without the formalities of, say, bugzilla.

I'm new to this field myself, but I imagine if you're recruiting, you'd want answers to the following:

What do you contribute to the team? It needs to be more than "being the idea guy". Be the programmer, the artist, or the person who is writing out the scenes.

Who are you looking for?

What is the scope of the game? It's good to build a small system at first and scale it up. Get an idea of how difficult big ideas are before being set on having to have them. How do your ideas fit into a whole?

What's the general pitch of your game?

What kinds of fetishes/themes are you interested in adding?

What do you NOT want in your game?

I might have missed some. I'm still new to this space.

But I'm not entirely new. I've been programming as a hobby for a while now. I haven't touched Ren'Py or Unity, but I taught myself C and later C++, among others. I'm good at the logic part, but I can't do art unless you want bad stick figures. I can proofread, but I don't see myself being able to do writing.

If you think I could help, send me a PM.
Mainly if I was recruiting people, the main thing I need is someone to do interiors since that's what I really struggle with, although, if I was to switch from RPG Maker to a different engine I probably would need someone to do coding. I think character development is another one since I can often be useless at fleshing out characters well enough.