• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

a

armadillobob

Oct 17, 2019
i agree with the guy above, you must start using github when you can. jack is screwed up partly because the guys who handled the engine left without docs

your json handler will work great for codes with syntax errors but most bugs in jack are caused by codes that have proper syntax that still end up with wrong results. if you have wrong syntax in jack it will end up with fatal errors like in frobozzdamad's 1.7.4. json errors in jack have correct syntax, they are caused by filenames in the json files not matching the filenames of the image files.

version 1.7.5 got rid of most syntax errors. i don't know much about later mods. from what i read they added all kinds of new bugs the latest mod being the buggiest.

i support your project remaking jack from a crappy engine plus adding modding capabilities. that's great if you can pull it off. i just hope you have the stomach for it. jack modding history is full of guys who give up in the middle of their projects, that's why it's so buggy. there's oldhuntsman getting in trouble with russian authorities; beaver14 and powerairmax adding json capability and other stuff then abandoning the mod after a few months complaining of exhaustion; the guy who tried remaking jack 2 in godot; the guy working on 1.7.4 who did not bother correcting fatal errors.

crushboss with his 1.7.5 made the least buggy version, fixing the errors of previous versions. he also complained of exhaustion and eventually left jack modding but at least he only left after fixing known bugs. you'll find very little if any syntax errors in 1.7.5 even if you still find bugs that are not caused by syntax errors.

piece of advice: if you can find it use 1.7.5 in this unity remake.

Last edited:

twolols

Dec 10, 2017
i agree with the guy above, you must start using github when you can. jack is screwed up partly because the guys who handled the engine left without docs

your json handler will work great for codes with syntax errors but most bugs in jack are caused by codes that have proper syntax that still end up with wrong results. if you have wrong syntax in jack it will end up with fatal errors like in frobozzdamad's 1.7.4. json errors in jack have correct syntax, they are caused by filenames in the json files not matching the filenames of the image files.

version 1.7.5 got rid of most syntax errors. i don't know much about later mods. from what i read they added all kinds of new bugs the latest mod being the buggiest.

i support your project remaking jack from a crappy engine plus adding modding capabilities. that's great if you can pull it off. i just hope you have the stomach for it. jack modding history is full of guys who give up in the middle of their projects, that's why it's so buggy. there's oldhuntsman getting in trouble with russian authorities; beaver14 and powerairmax adding json capability and other stuff then abandoning the mod after a few months complaining of exhaustion; the guy who tried remaking jack 2 in godot; the guy working on 1.7.4 who did not bother correcting fatal errors.

crushboss with his 1.7.5 made the least buggy version, fixing the errors of previous versions. he also complained of exhaustion and eventually left jack modding but at least he only left after fixing known bugs. you'll find very little if any syntax errors in 1.7.5 even if you still find bugs that are not caused by syntax errors.

piece of advice: if you can find it use 1.7.5 in this unity remake.
I 100% agree with you. I plan on adding the code to GitHub when I have a more developed base.

The incorrect reference to files names, are all things I can check with my JSON handler. So this should never be an issue. If a json file references an image that doesn't exist I can just log the output.

Thanks for the advice to use 1.7.5 (that's actually the version I am using) as it is the most stable version from what I know.

Finally, I know the track record for Jack modders is pretty shit as far as them giving up mid way through, and such. I am not gonna say I won't ever quit, because I don't know the future. I don't know if I will feel burnt out, or feel tired of programming the project. I will say, if I do I will make sure to have all the sources posted online, as well as commented code so if someone else wants to take over the project, in the event that I don't take a break. The code will be online to use, and everything that is going on inside the unity code will be well documented, and easy to pickup.

Thanks for the post, I look forward to getting advice from you in the future. As you seem pretty passionate about the outcome of Jack.

allthetoast

Jan 24, 2018
Heirteir I have recently created a jack-o-nine-tails repository at Please make an account and let me know your username so that I can add you as an owner. Gitgud has several other hentai game projects hosted so it should be a safe choice. See my other post about this here: https://f95zone.to/threads/jack-o-n...tyu12359-powerairmax.390/page-77#post-2550375

also yaml is awful for anything other than small config files :p

D

Deleted member 939215

Make separate files for text output as in my example for each system and mod. Just put the file into Google translator to get the native language of any player

chopeks

Jul 24, 2018
I just came to this topic.

I've been playing with KorGE lately and came with a jack demo written in it (over 2 weekends). There's not much working atm, just lessons/tutor/cooking/cleaning, it's more like a framework without much content.

Here's a demo with some sample code (how lessons look like), just put it in the same directory as jack.qsp (it uses same resources):

EDIT: In menu only 'Sandbox game' button works (story has character selection, but no slaves and no story), saving game on F5, loading on F9

armadillobob

Oct 17, 2019
I just came to this topic.

I've been playing with KorGE lately and came with a jack demo written in it (over 2 weekends). There's not much working atm, just lessons/tutor/cooking/cleaning, it's more like a framework without much content.

Here's a demo with some sample code (how lessons look like), just put it in the same directory as jack.qsp (it uses same resources):

EDIT: In menu only 'Sandbox game' button works (story has character selection, but no slaves and no story), saving game on F5, loading on F9
if you're making this in KorGE and not Unity you should make your own thread.

but then, you sure you're up to the task? this game is notorious for high staff turnover... like the guy who started this thread.

all the same, this game needs to update its buggy engine. if you can do it create a module system yourself. that can make this game more popular.

good luck!

chopeks

Jul 24, 2018
if you're making this in KorGE and not Unity you should make your own thread.

but then, you sure you're up to the task? this game is notorious for high staff turnover... like the guy who started this thread.

all the same, this game needs to update its buggy engine. if you can do it create a module system yourself. that can make this game more popular.

good luck!
Will do, when core logic will be working properly. But I guess it will take a while. Unfortunately, current qsp code is... messy, to say it lightly.

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
Don't expect any news from Heirteir. He is still alive, and I've found out when he manually quit the Jack-o-nine-tails old Game dev'-Discord server a few days ago. Without stating a reason or saying "goodbye" to anyone, here or there. That's a shame...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fangxbrutus

KINGOAL

Apr 22, 2019
EXCELLENT man, good luck. By the way, the only thing I not like nine tails is that you can only own one girl a time, it stop us from the fun of harem, would you like to change it?

Reactions: Daba

CryoInferno

May 9, 2020
Isn't there are remake of Jack-O-Nine-Tails? I havent played it, though.
It looks like this project is dead. :(

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
Making games is hard and takes a lot of time and dedication. Most people don't know that when they start. (Also, most people don't seem to know what to expect from a game design student.)

He didn't say it specifically, but reading between the lines you could kind of tell this was his first attempt at making a game. He said he chose Unity because he had some experience with C# but not Unity itself. He also mentioned there was a potetial for android/ios ports, which is exactly something someone who's never worked with those platforms would say. His first update was about modding, which generally wouldn't be the part you'd start with.

It is very rare for anyone to finish their first game. Good on him for trying. And be happy he didn't ask for anyone's money. After reading the first post I wouldn't had expected much, but I would still had encouraged him to try.

For the record, I'd also like to play a new and updated version of jack-o-nine-tails.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daba

qwertyu12359

Jack-o-nine-tails
Game Developer
Aug 1, 2017
For the record, I'd also like to play a new and updated version of jack-o-nine-tails.
Everytime you hear someone complain about the current engine, it's mostly because of "how easy it'll be to work with it in the future" rather than "it'll make my specific gameplay feature work".

In my opinion, rewriting the whole game would be a waste of time. We have many ideas in our roadmap, none of them are really dependent on a rewrite. Moreover, a game I like called Wife Trainer was in hiatus for 2 years because of an engine switch, helped by other contributors... and the wait lead to virtually zero progress in terms of features or plot. On Jont, a switch has been attempted two times, by two different people, and it failed miserably, with the devs giving 0 news and disappearing.

However last version of JONT was released this year! It's numbered v2.2, and it has more changes in visuals and gameplay mechanics than what was promised and what we could have hoped from this Unity remake when it was first thought of. Even the engine has been tweaked, several times (to change the file extensions, to make adding images only require a drag and drop in a folder rather than having to edit json files, to add keyboard shortcuts, to make saving instantaneous rather than take 20 seconds, etc.).

Last edited:

Tompte

Dec 22, 2017
In my opinion, rewriting the whole game would be a waste of time.
I agree. There's no reason to throw away something just because someone else made something 'newer'. I wasn't aware it was still in active development. I guess what I meant was I wish there were more games like Jack. The trainer/sim genre my favorite by far.

While I want to enjoy Jack for what it is, I'd lie if I said I didn't take issues with it, that's caused me to bounce off of it more than once. (I won't harp on them. I'm sure they're common complaints.) Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes or the foresight of an existing game can help avoid those kind of issues. Of course, that assumes the new dev knows what they're doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daba and dmmt