abandoned games

Ahmad639

Oct 28, 2017
what abandoned games you would like to come alive again and why doesn't another developer adopt it

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
what abandoned games you would like to come alive again and why doesn't another developer adopt it
Very few abandoned games are worth the hassle, usually there was a good reason for the abandonment. The very few where it might be a good idea, the question is, why continue someone else's project with all the problems that will cause when you can just start your own?

Only (truly) abandoned game I wish would have gotten finished is "The gift: Reloaded" but rather than continuing it, I'd rather just find my own way to do a game with similar themes.

There are other abandoned games that aren't really abandoned, Holy Slaves and Coceter Chronicles are both shown as abandoned, but I know that the dev of Holy Slaves has said they'll return to it, and the Dev of Coceter is more likely just on hold while he deals with personal issues following the death of his father.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Johnny-Doe

Lola's Daddy™︎
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 12, 2018
Hmm... From the top of my head, i would say that the only abandoned game i wanna see again is Teacher's Pets, it had great animations and likeable characters.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
The big one for me was Ethan's legacy, it pulled me in better than almost any other Ero game ever has despite it's slow pacing. I honestly don't think it's the kind of game just any dev could pick up and finish, it was very plot driven in a lot of ways, it started to ramble and lose sight of what it was aiming to be and the dev eventually stopped developing all together sadly, since he was pretty talented for a first time writer.

Reactions: DeMarcus16

Flecc

Donor
Sep 3, 2018
Chasing Crowns. It was different from the run of the mill adult game ,and maybe a bit biased as i pledged it through patreon before it fell over :(

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
I liked the feel of Full Stride. Quick pace, good writing and immersion, and seemed like it was going to be a solid VN. Too bad the dev lost interest, but props for being upfront about it instead of milking his patrons.

Unless someone is a huge fan of a game that gets abandoned, and is very motivated to take the reins and see it through, it's very unlikely that abandoned games get resurrected through another person. Most devs would rather make their own game than adopt someone else's baby. There could be conflict trying to keep it true to the original but still push the things that you find exciting. And if there's money being made, it could become a sticky issue working with someone else's property.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I like if they could resume High Life game. It had a nice story, interesting characters, and good graphics, but unfortunately developer stopped working on it.

fierylion

Game Developer
Jan 18, 2019
Well, the biggest problem is 99% of games on here are NOT open source so it'd be impossible for anyone else to work on them once they're dead. We should have a good and healthy discussion on whether more games should be open-source, or at least, the devs of dead games should open-source them so that the community has a chance to revive a dead game.

VanessaD

Jan 31, 2021
Well, the biggest problem is 99% of games on here are NOT open source so it'd be impossible for anyone else to work on them once they're dead. We should have a good and healthy discussion on whether more games should be open-source, or at least, the devs of dead games should open-source them so that the community has a chance to revive a dead game.
I don't think open source is the right term for this.
Any game in renpy can easily be opened in terms of code. But the main thing is to copy the artist's style, either 2D or 3D, and that is beyond open source.

Reactions: fz

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I don't think open source is the right term for this.
Any game in renpy can easily be opened in terms of code.
The source code being available doesn't mean that it's Open Source. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the author of the game still own all rights regarding the code, the story and the visual.

But the main thing is to copy the artist's style, either 2D or 3D, and that is beyond open source.
It's not. For 2D is more difficult, but you can perfectly put a Daz3D character under an Open Source license. You just need to either distribute the duf with the preset, or explain how you achieved to create this particular look.

It's not because there's the word "source" in the term, that the license solely limit to the code.

Reactions: VanessaD and Volta

VanessaD

Jan 31, 2021
The source code being available doesn't mean that it's Open Source. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, the author of the game still own all rights regarding the code, the story and the visual.

It's not. For 2D is more difficult, but you can perfectly put a Daz3D character under an Open Source license. You just need to either distribute the duf with the preset, or explain how you achieved to create this particular look.

It's not because there's the word "source" in the term, that the license solely limit to the code.
Oh, that's good to know, thanks!

GRDesires

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
I would like to see XStory Player alive again. But it seems like it's just a dream.

• Red Heart
Reactions: fz

sushant13050

May 31, 2018
So when's the next update of chains of pleasure game i would love to know because i liked this game very much I'm waiting for next update of this so pleaselet me know anyone who else know about it

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
The Gift Reloaded. Honestly. The game has legit antagonists, and an interesting story. Not to mention it is a fairly good Harem game.

To add fuel to the fire, it began to build a solid gameplay system beyond simply moving rooms and/or talking to girls in random rooms at specific times. It began to adopt an interesting management system into the core gameplay/story without needing to rely on prostitution/brothels to do so.

The game had a lot of promise and a strong following. The issue being that the dev is untrustworthy. Even if he returned there is no guarantee that he would follow the same development path. In all likelihood it would be revamped for the third time and take a more undesirable direction.

As for someone else taking over development, While someone could in theory do it, it would never be decent. Some people have tried doing this in the past for other games. They never work out, never get the attention it deserves and always ends with a flop. Why bother hoping for someone else to do such a project? Not to mention the questionable legality of such a project. Instead, I would much rather see someone make a different game, but take heavy inspiration from the game and make something better and more cohesive from the beginning rather than shift focus like The Gift did.

Deleted member 3917737

Jul 12, 2021
The only game I would love to see get picked up and continued is High Life

The first episode was good and the female MC is sooo beautiful (I don't think I've seen her model in any other games either)

172221_5.jpg

Many good, amazing things end and disappear too quickly.

PsychicStress

Sep 9, 2021
I remember a few years ago there was a BBW fighting game that was being talked about called 'Guts n' Glory' - you can still find bits of artwork for it around the net now, but it sadly didn't come into fruition. A shame, as I rather liked the character designs, and the amount of work and thought put into it was impressive.