VN - Ren'Py - Abnormal [v0.6] [Emerald Deceivers]

1. 4.00 star(s)

torpedogoat

I am the first reviewer who gives this game less than 5 stars. This is mostly because I think that a rating of 5.0 stars is a little too much for the game in its current state. I am hopeful that it will actually reach a level where I can upgrade my own rating to 5 stars, but at version 0.6 it is not quite there yet.

The game starts kinetic but later on branches a little. The plot is very well done, and even in the kinetic part I never felt a need to make any choices for the MC other than what she was doing automatically. So no complaints there.

One thing I found very refreshing is how normal everyone is compared to other games of this nature. This applies both to personalities and to personal appearances. We keep seeing the ever same faces in AVNs, but here the developer has made an effort to create (or find?) character faces rather than using the default model faces.

In the part of the game that exists so far, the MC lives with her mother and brother, and graduates from high school. There is at first very little sex or nudity, but towards the end, where we finally get to make some decisions that really make some difference, the MC's relations with her best friend and with her bully get interesting: in most if not all branches we are treated to some lesbianism. Plus the MC begins to develop a taste for exhibitionism.

At this point the game ends, which is the main reason I feel I shouldn't give 5 stars just yet. But I can also understand the reviewers who did. There are no major problems with this game other than currently ending just when it gets interesting, and it gives the impression of portraying real, normal people perhaps more than any other AVN. I love this, and I am very much looking forward to updating the game to 5 stars, probably for the next version.
  2. 5.00 star(s)

fountain

I'll start with the negatives because they are few and minor in the whole. First, the posing of the models feels awkward. I don't think I could do better, but it's noticeable and I'm sure as the author continues to get practice, they'll improve. Second, the lighting could use some work. Again, I can't help with what feels off, but I'm sure it will improve in time.

With that out of the way, this game is excellent. The biggest standout is the character writing. The author seems to understand that it's ok for side characters to be caricatures, but the important people in the story benefit from depth. So many of these stories fall into the same formulaic traps where everyone seems like an idiot following a script.

Steph in particular is intelligent, flawed, but a good person and eminently likable. The author manages to walk the like of giving the player some agency with how Steph accomplishes her goals, but we are not allowed to fundamentally change who she is with a single out-of-charater choice. In particular and avoiding spoilers, in an event early in the story where she helps a character out of an awful situation, another game would have given the player the choice to help or not. Instead, Steph is shown to never seriously consider not helping and that serves to make her a stronger character. The choices we get are largely at reasonable places that do not conflict with Steph as a person.

I won't go into so much detail as to describe each character, but those who are written to be full characters are largely excellently written. I'm not sure I've seen a better manipulator than Sadie in any story where she was not the protagonist. As the player, the bully is usually a predictable antagonist, but I can say that I think Sadie is honestly trying to help in her own messed up way. I hope that's the case, but I recognize that it's possible she is playing out a long con and that's critical to making Steph's relationship with her believable.

The last note I'll make on character design is Hu. I think he does genuinely care for his sister and vice versa, but that care does seem to be obscured behind his function in the story as the horny brother who wants nothing more than to leer at his sister. I'm on board with horny Hu continuing to move the plot forward, but I hope that it is reinforced that he loves his mother and sister as family, as well as hot women.

Speaking of hot women, I'm really impressed by the character designs. Of the core cast, only Sadie looks like a stock model and I see that as an intentional (and clever) choice. Most of the characters have character in their design. Steph and her family have a measure of family resemblance. In most games, this is accomplished by breast size and using similar stock faces. Here, they all have distinct faces that retain family resemblance. Steph and her mother are beautiful in face and body, as you'd expect of the genre, but their faces aren't generic. It's a welcome balm after all the same-face syndrome in most games (even excellent ones!) and especially with the rise of AI generic-ized 'hot chick.'

I've blathered on long enough. I hope the author continues to be inspired and motivated to work on this game for a long time coming. This has quickly become one of my favorites I'll be keeping a close eye on.

Thank you!
  3. 5.00 star(s)

achilleus2008

I don't usually enjoy kinetic novels, but the writing here is so good that I don't mind the lack of choice. Obviously, one needs to suspend disbelief quite a bit, but if you can accept the game on its terms, it's a wonderful slow burn so far.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

FurinaDeveloper

This game offers a compelling slow-burn narrative about a young girl discovering her sexuality. The story unfolds gradually, allowing players to deeply connect with the protagonist's experiences and emotions.

A major focus of the game is Yuri, or girl-on-girl romance, portrayed with sensitivity and depth. The relationships between characters are thoughtfully developed, highlighting the complexities of same-sex attraction and love. This adds authenticity and emotional resonance to the story.

Another key theme is exhibitionism, depicted as an integral part of the protagonist's journey towards self-discovery. It's not just a fetish but a significant element of her personal growth and acceptance.

Overall, this game is a unique and memorable exploration of sexuality and personal growth. Its emphasis on Yuri and exhibitionism, combined with a slow-burn narrative, provides a rich, engaging experience for players who appreciate a well-crafted, story-driven game.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Sympin

I'm really excited to see where this goes. It's refreshing to see game centered on exhibitionism that isn't about the main character starting as a prude housewife and quickly becoming a sex addicted whore that bangs everything in sight (those games can be good, too, but it's a pleasant surprise to see a game that's a little more toned down). The characters are cute and all have their own good and bad features. The story is a well written slow burn about discovering who you are and who your real friends are. The story is mostly kinetic, but that can be a good thing to help the developer get their intended message across. Good luck on this project!