Daz About the image size after daz rendering.

zhizhangπ

Aug 16, 2022
What is the size of the image you render in daz?I rendered the image with 4k resolution and Max samples 10000 only 1.8MB and it looks poor quality. I would like to get a clearer image, what should I do?

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I would like to get a clearer image, what should I do?

is to practice

these 3 image Max samples 10000 and three different resolution

4K 7.45mb
4K.png

1440P 3.48mb
1440P.png

1080P 1.99mb
1080P.png

Reactions: zhizhangπ

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Most developers, as far as I'm aware, usually render at a higher resolution (e.g. 4K) and scale it down to 1080p either in postwork or all at once after postwork.

But the actual answer is that clarity in renders has so much more to it than just resolution. It's lighting, reflections, depth of field (though that's more for focus, but it does give an implied extra 'oomph' to clarity by bringing that focus to a character/object.), the environment(s), and even the colors used. If you study color theory some, you'll come up on perceived contrast (or simultaneous contrast), in which the interactions of colors (or neutrals) create a heightened sense of contrast to the eyes that isn't really there. Being a Dik does this particularly well (like this render, for example.), even if they don't realize it. It makes their renders feel like they have a lot of 'pop' to them (along with a shit ton of vibrance/contrast adjustments, likely in post.), even if their renders are otherwise fairly average. Maxing the samples isn't going to help if the base of the render isn't great, but all of this is guesswork until we see the said render. Because the way you're phrasing comes off as grainy, but again, just complete guesswork. But if were sticking on the topic of perceived clarity:

Heavy Depth of Field (will be referring to it as DoF after this.) will create this to some level if everything else is done right:

presintro11.png

Distance play, meaning (for example): blurred object(s) in the forefront > clear focus in the middle > blur background, with DoF will also create the effect of enhanced clarity.

introdio6_new.png

As already mentioned a couple times, it's hard to give any actual advice without knowing what you're actually doing. But what I can say is that no number of high samples (unless you're rendering at something absurd like SubD 5+) is going to make anything inherently not good better. What all 'clear' renders have in common is good lighting. Both of those renders above were done at 4K at 5900 samples with Rendering Quality off.

zhizhangπ

Aug 16, 2022
Thanks for your replies, I just started learning daz, I was using a gtx2060 computer to learn before, but my computer failed, as the Chinese graphics card market is ruined by mining, I will only buy a new graphics card after the rtx40 series graphics cards are launched, until then I can only use an old laptop with a gtx980m to continue learning daz, I was using daz4.15 on my rtx2060, when I updated to daz4.20 on my laptop, I found that the images rendered with the same settings were much smaller and less clear, so I would like to know how the configuration of the computer relates to the quality of the images rendered, in addition to the rendering time? And how can I improve the image clarity?

Last edited:

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
Rendering in daz is more akin to photography than anything else. I suggest watching photography tutorials and apply those to your work for the best result. And like in photography, lighting is the most important aspect. The darker images are more noisy in general, rendering with more light and adjusting the exposure afterwards might remedy some of your problems.
As for your computer, I have rendered with the same laptop gpu as yours for two years, you'll have to learn ins and outs of cutting corners to achieve a reasonable render time.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
<snip>

... Both of those renders above were done at 4K at 5900 samples with Rendering Quality off.
When you turn rendering quality off, does that mean the render will continue to max samples, regardless of the convergence?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
When you turn rendering quality off, does that mean the render will continue to max samples, regardless of the convergence?
More or less, yeah. At least with my rather limited understanding the Daz mechanics under the hood. I set my renders at 5900 samples, and they finish there unless I stop the render prior to completing on its own, which is something I often do if the I can't spot anything outwardly wrong in the render.

zhizhangπ

Aug 16, 2022
Most developers, as far as I'm aware, usually render at a higher resolution (e.g. 4K) and scale it down to 1080p either in postwork or all at once after postwork.

But the actual answer is that clarity in renders has so much more to it than just resolution. It's lighting, reflections, depth of field (though that's more for focus, but it does give an implied extra 'oomph' to clarity by bringing that focus to a character/object.), the environment(s), and even the colors used. If you study color theory some, you'll come up on perceived contrast (or simultaneous contrast), in which the interactions of colors (or neutrals) create a heightened sense of contrast to the eyes that isn't really there. Being a Dik does this particularly well (like this render, for example.), even if they don't realize it. It makes their renders feel like they have a lot of 'pop' to them (along with a shit ton of vibrance/contrast adjustments, likely in post.), even if their renders are otherwise fairly average. Maxing the samples isn't going to help if the base of the render isn't great, but all of this is guesswork until we see the said render. Because the way you're phrasing comes off as grainy, but again, just complete guesswork. But if were sticking on the topic of perceived clarity:

Heavy Depth of Field (will be referring to it as DoF after this.) will create this to some level if everything else is done right:

View attachment 1994073

Distance play, meaning (for example): blurred object(s) in the forefront > clear focus in the middle > blur background, with DoF will also create the effect of enhanced clarity.

View attachment 1994085

As already mentioned a couple times, it's hard to give any actual advice without knowing what you're actually doing. But what I can say is that no number of high samples (unless you're rendering at something absurd like SubD 5+) is going to make anything inherently not good better. What all 'clear' renders have in common is good lighting. Both of those renders above were done at 4K at 5900 samples with Rendering Quality off.
Thank you, after reading your suggestion, I asked a friend who is good at photography for help, now I have a deeper understanding of daz's camera capabilities, and now I can render clear pictures, the following is in Max The samples are set to 1000 images rendered, and the image rendered in about ten minutes is better than the one I spent an hour rendering before.
ahli2.png

zhizhangπ

Aug 16, 2022
Rendering in daz is more akin to photography than anything else. I suggest watching photography tutorials and apply those to your work for the best result. And like in photography, lighting is the most important aspect. The darker images are more noisy in general, rendering with more light and adjusting the exposure afterwards might remedy some of your problems.
As for your computer, I have rendered with the same laptop gpu as yours for two years, you'll have to learn ins and outs of cutting corners to achieve a reasonable render time.
You are right, knowing photography does have a great effect on 3d rendering, I have never been exposed to 3d rendering and photography before this, I just started to learn daz after reading a comic rendered with daz on the Internet, I am Slowly learning daz and blender in my spare time, hoping to make my own comics.

moose_puck

Sep 6, 2021
More or less, yeah. At least with my rather limited understanding the Daz mechanics under the hood. I set my renders at 5900 samples, and they finish there unless I stop the render prior to completing on its own, which is something I often do if the I can't spot anything outwardly wrong in the render.
Awesome. I had never had time to test that function but I tried it last night and yep, it makes the render go until max samples is reached. The progress bar now shows percentage of samples done and not the convergence amount.

I always hated when a render finished at 100% convergence but still had noise in the shadows or hair highlights. I used to solve that by spot rendering the affected areas. Hmm... this will allow me to budget render times better as well. I can time how many iterations per min the render is doing then set my queue up with the right amount of tasks for the night.

Reactions: MissFortune