Adventure game engine question

basnalex

Jan 29, 2018
Knowledge of engine aside, does an adventure game feel more immersive if built where you get 3d space to move around in and talk to X or find Y, compared to something like RenPy's screen based click and go to place or click to pick up Y. I've been working on a game I could probably build either way. I'm working in RenPy right now to see how I liked it, but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking that this should be played in a 3d space.

The renders vs models with animation have been what has kept me in RenPy (along with the Daz3D interactive licenses) but I just wanted to see what you all thought.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
It's up to the game, anything can be immersive if it's well made enaugh, at equal quality it all depends on personal gamer preference. Now if it was me, my choice would be more about technical and time issue than 'immersion' ('3D space' game seems to be quite time consumming to make and get it right than your usual renpy game).

basnalex

Jan 29, 2018
Thanks, that's kind of where my head has been, technical and time. But then I play another game and think about trying to emulate that. I tend to do game programming alone and don't have the sounding boards I do day to day like my web development job.