Advice and thoughts on twine, story-driven game

VeraWonders

Jun 9, 2023
Hello everyone, I have the idea of starting a story driven sex game on twine, as I have already some ideas for characters paths and how they could be inter-connected. It's not meant to be a main project for me, more of a past time to get some experience at coding and planning games, so now I'm torned between a sandbox, sort of like Degrees of Lewdity, or a branching story/choose your own adventure kind of game, like Student X-Change Program.

While I like sandboxes and the freedom and exploring it brings to the table, I don't want to create a game where you have to spend day after day after day in the same routine to get a required stat level or enough money to advance, it could be balanced with small random events, but still I'm afraid it could end up being tiring, specially for replaying purposes. On the other hand, a choose-your-own adventure type of game would be easier to follow a path you like and get constant content, but may be difficult when connecting them while keeping them different and original enough to not get repetitive, but also not feel like you're playing completely differnet games. I'm fine in both case to have paths block others, but I'd like to give the option to combine some, like to have a partner plot and a work related plot, for example, but some partners won't be available if you choose certain careers, or perhaps will only be available through certain careers.

I know that, coding wise, a sandbox may be more complicated (or at least that's how it seems to me), but also more challenging, while I think the other option could be more of the same that I already know, so even if it's more work, it's something that I'm willing to get into, so that's not as much of a concern for me.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Dude, it's a about the story. Do you have an interesting story to tell? Cool. Now think about the characters? Are they hot? Sexy? Desirable? Now you should start thinking about the mechanics. This is your first game? Less is more. Less options. Less complications. Less mechanics. More story. More simplicity.

And some more thoughts:

1. Sandbox should have a purpose, it's not a goal by itself. And IMHO: not suitable for a first adult game/VN.
2. Replay is not a goal, it's a nice bonus. And again: should not be a factor in a first adult game/VN IMHO.
3. Paths I discuss here. In a nutshell: less is more.

Finally: start small and simple. A project you can start and finish. If you manage to finish it (unlike many developers) you'll know exactly how to proceed.

Good luck!

VMiller

Mar 7, 2023
The main mistake I want to warn you against. Don't write your game script as a fanfic of your favorite game plots.

SamuelRegios

Jun 21, 2017
I recommend starting off making a very small vertical slice of each type of game your wanting to make and then whichever one you feel is more comfortable, yet still challenging, for you to add onto would be the one I would start focusing on.

Also, don't feel as though you have to make your sandbox game or any game for that matter a grind in order to receive content, and if it does turn out that way you can just add in alternate means of achieving the same goals, like the ability to skip grindy minigames, or even a cheat menu for those that just want to bypass gameplay entirely.