Advice when it comes to game pacing, combat and inventory.

Ohgun694

May 27, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm currently struggling to develop a text-based RPG codenamed Project Orwell. I've already came up with the weapon types and tiers along with stats, attributes, elements, Alpha UI, and possible character creation pieces such as hair styles, etc (Big Anime Titties will also be included for the female characters). But, I'm starting to consider how long I should have the player character develop their character's during the opening act. I wanted to implement an immersive creation process that will provide significant backstory before the game truly begins and then allow the player to make the finishing touches before the prologue of the game. I've chosen this method because I don't want to make this project an asset flip and I don't know artists who could help develop the characters, items, environment and monsters that fit in the post-apocalyptic setting that I want to build.
Does anyone have any pointers on how I can cohesively utilize a combat system that features combo attacks like Xenogears while utilizing the element exploitative system of the Shin Megami Tensei games without ruining the balance of the game?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hello everyone. I'm currently struggling to develop a text-based RPG codenamed Project Orwell. I've already came up with the weapon types and tiers along with stats, attributes, elements, Alpha UI, and possible character creation pieces such as hair styles, etc (Big Anime Titties will also be included for the female characters). But, I'm starting to consider how long I should have the player character develop their character's during the opening act. I wanted to implement an immersive creation process that will provide significant backstory before the game truly begins and then allow the player to make the finishing touches before the prologue of the game. I've chosen this method because I don't want to make this project an asset flip and I don't know artists who could help develop the characters, items, environment and monsters that fit in the post-apocalyptic setting that I want to build.
Does anyone have any pointers on how I can cohesively utilize a combat system that features combo attacks like Xenogears while utilizing the element exploitative system of the Shin Megami Tensei games without ruining the balance of the game?
It seems to be... Everywhere.
Have you ever done something like that in the past? If you are just starting out, you might want to start with something much simpler.

Reactions: polywog

Ohgun694

May 27, 2018
It seems to be... Everywhere.
Have you ever done something like that in the past? If you are just starting out, you might want to start with something much simpler.
This is something I've never done before. I may consider doing something simpler, but not without a soul behind it.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Yeah, begin with something much simpler.
Only because it is a text game, it does not mean it is something easy to make.

Reactions: polywog

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Seems like the best way to achieve what you're asking about is to just do it and see what happens. Iterate over and over again until you think you got something right. Then playtest it with some people and see what they think. Still doesn't feel right? Iterate!

Reactions: Ohgun694

Ohgun694

May 27, 2018
Seems like the best way to achieve what you're asking about is to just do it and see what happens. Iterate over and over again until you think you got something right. Then playtest it with some people and see what they think. Still doesn't feel right? Iterate!
Good Idea. I'll focus on creating the first seven days and playtest them along with some volunteers who are willing to test out a text-based RPG.

Last edited: