Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
This wasn't about specs or file size.

Some games are like half-baked pizzas, possibly delicious and showing promise, some games are huge pizzas that some can't fit in their ovens. Some are rather stale and left unattended for too long.

Then there are pizzas with weird toppings, like chocolate or something. Many won't like it but some might.

This game was a pizza with a mountain of "stuff" on top, a heap of sugar for sweetness, a few spoons of pepper for zing, a handful of plastic glitter to look pretty and your favourite stuffed toy for cuteness. All blended into one enormous pile of "bad" Moreover, you could see that the stuff wasn't even chopped in properly -- assets were simply ripped and thrown in haphazardly without any care at all just to bloat up the "game" with filesize and dazzle players with glitter like one would dazzle a 1yo kid with a loud\flashy toy.
which is a fine criticism. too much shit involved. make things too big, too complicated, some people wont like it. i like your analogy btw. because there are some toppings that should never be on a pizza. pineapple for instance. put pineapple on pizza and it isnt even pizza anymore. its just garbage. take it out of the oven, let it cool, and into the garbage bin it goes. which i think is the point. but i digress. and im not saying that the game was perfect. tbh, i never actually played it very long. download, test it out for a few, if it seems slightly interesting, i wait for completion, or enough shit to entertain me for a while. so there are many valid complaints that can be made that i dont know about. i just skimmed through the forum looking for a confirmation of abandonment, and saw complaints about the two things i addressed. if they had more than 1 sentence, saying things like what you did, or had a rational though past that, i would have ignored it. but they didnt. literal one sentence about the file size. move on at that point if its your only complaint. valid criticism = room for debate/improvement/gives the developer something to work with. or ignores it and the game dies a painful death. pointless crying because their hamster wheels dont have enough bandwidth = gtfo.

good day, gentlemen. nice to see reasonably thought out comments though.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
which is a fine criticism. too much shit involved. make things too big, too complicated, some people wont like it. i like your analogy btw. because there are some toppings that should never be on a pizza. pineapple for instance. put pineapple on pizza and it isnt even pizza anymore. its just garbage. take it out of the oven, let it cool, and into the garbage bin it goes. which i think is the point. but i digress. and im not saying that the game was perfect. tbh, i never actually played it very long. download, test it out for a few, if it seems slightly interesting, i wait for completion, or enough shit to entertain me for a while. so there are many valid complaints that can be made that i dont know about. i just skimmed through the forum looking for a confirmation of abandonment, and saw complaints about the two things i addressed. if they had more than 1 sentence, saying things like what you did, or had a rational though past that, i would have ignored it. but they didnt. literal one sentence about the file size. move on at that point if its your only complaint. valid criticism = room for debate/improvement/gives the developer something to work with. or ignores it and the game dies a painful death. pointless crying because their hamster wheels dont have enough bandwidth = gtfo.

good day, gentlemen. nice to see reasonably thought out comments though.
tbh file size is a valid criticism with room for improvement, as can be seen by devs that actually know how to compress their files
and size being too big is a perfectly valid reason for someone not to try something they could otherwise

Joeburqa

Aug 4, 2019
tbh file size is a valid criticism with room for improvement, as can be seen by devs that actually know how to compress their files
and size being too big is a perfectly valid reason for someone not to try something they could otherwise
nooooooooooooope

imagine telling blizzard your hamster wheels will take 6 weeks to download wow so they need to remove aspects of the game 98% of the player base might like, to cater to you.... i go out of my way to download the full versions of games and avoid the compression wherever possible. a valid criticism might be that the game is too big because they jammed too much unnecessary shit into it. or that things could be condensed by using a different format, something that is smaller but gives the same quality. not the file size itself. the specific complaint was about how they wouldnt play it because it takes them too long to download 18gb. thats not relevant criticism. thats them not having the technology required to play. you dont dumb things down for the potatoes. although your point about it being a valid reason for them not to try something they otherwise might could potentially hurt the spread of the game is arguably a good one. some people wont try it simply for that reason, meaning less people see it. i paraphrased to make your point more relevant. hope you dont mind. if the developer is willing to lose some amount of players over that or not is a different question. personally, i never cater to the bottom of the barrel myself....

Joe Steel

Engaged Member
Jan 10, 2018
Of course it is a valid complaint that a game is too cumbersome to download and play for the limited pleasure one can get out of it. If Witcher 4 required a 5 TB SSD or a bleeding edge video card to play, a lot of gamers who loved the Witcher games would pass. CD Projekt Red has to "dumb down for the potatoes" because their customers run potatoes, not Crays.

Reactions: ViviX12

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
Of course it is a valid complaint that a game is too cumbersome to download and play for the limited pleasure one can get out of it. If Witcher 4 required a 5 TB SSD or a bleeding edge video card to play, a lot of gamers who loved the Witcher games would pass. CD Projekt Red has to "dumb down for the potatoes" because their customers run potatoes, not Crays.
Exactly, why download a 18 GB patchwork when you can get games that do a much better job under 500 MB

gmg

Aug 31, 2017
For the record, the game ran and looked like shit on my high end machine as well, even after fixes.
About the DL size, just compare to other large downloads like Wild Life, which comes in at ~14GB and is a million times more competent. After extraction, ripped movies from xvideos made up about 3GB. The rest was a bunch of assets thrown together without any coherency. The fights sucked major ass and the wholegame had no structure.

People won't mind waiting for their coom games a bit if it's actually worth it.

Reactions: ViviX12
1.70 star(s) 3 Votes