Ren'Py All Renpy games either crashing or fail to launch

razsoul

Feb 10, 2019
Renpy games have been giving me problems for the past year. It always throws up random error messages either when it crashes mid-game or fails to launch. Not sure what's going on at this point. Hope someone here can help! I've tried almost everything, like DDU my gpu drivers, I even changed to a new set of ram, new ssd for C drive, tried putting the game in C drive, sfc /scannow, reinstall windows, all sorts of stuff to fix it but the issue persists. Currently on a 13900KS / 4090 / 64gb DDR5

Here's an example:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

razsoul

Feb 10, 2019
I'm gonna post a couple more traceback texts to give you an idea of what i mean when i say it keeps throwing up random errors.

Another example:

razsoul

Feb 10, 2019
This happens for other games as well. I know it's throwing up all kinds of different errors but it's just so strange that the end result is...every renpy game is either failing to launch or crashing halfway. I'm guessing a hardware failure somewhere?

Different game, in another storage device:

razsoul

Feb 10, 2019
i would post this errors in the game thread
Thanks for the response! I would like to post in the specific game thread but...it seems that every game is having errors of some sort, so it's a bit hard to conclude that all of them are either a bad download/corrupted files. This happens to all my games with or without mods as well.

gigan

Engaged Member
Modder
Nov 7, 2017
Do you extract the game files or do you start the games in the zip/rar file?

razsoul

Feb 10, 2019
Do you extract the game files or do you start the games in the zip/rar file?
I definitely extract all game files to a folder, and test both on the C drive and another drive with the same type of error.

I'm just really perplexed because every error just comes up looking different lol

Another traceback:

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
Taken together they look a bit like you might be using saves that are too old.

Do you get the same problems if you start a new game, save, and reload?

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Are you on linux or something? Weird that it says windows on your log but you python lib is going to /home/

You might need to update your python version if you are running .rpy files directly, or use an older version if the games are older.

Also, not all renpy games might work out of the box for linux, you might need to try and run the game.exe through wine when you can't directly run the .rpy for some reason.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
This happens for other games as well. I know it's throwing up all kinds of different errors but it's just so strange that the end result is...every renpy game is either failing to launch or crashing halfway. I'm guessing a hardware failure somewhere?
All the traceback you shown point to a code error...

All the error also have the particularity to come from a night build version, therefore an Alpha one that no one should use for release. And all come from the core, being errors that should just never happens.

Code:
File "C:\RMAWH-r3.8-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 616, in get_children
   f(self)
TypeError: 'Say' object is not callable
f can not be a Say object.

Code:
File "C:\RMAWH-r3.8-pc\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 219, in map_event
   if ev.type == renpy.display.core.EVENTNAME:
AttributeError: module 'renpy.display.core' has no attribute 'type'
ev can not be something else than a PyGame event, there's no way for it to be point to a module.

Code:
File "S:\Sys\Locale\Restore\Gaemz\Young Again\Young_Again_s02.c03-pc\renpy\parser.py", line 328, in list_logical_lines
   lines[loc].text = data[lines[loc].start:lines[loc].end]
TypeError: slice indices must be integers or None or have an __index__ method
lines[loc] can only be a renpy.scriptedit.Line object, and therefore both its start and end attribute can not have a wrong type.

Code:
File "S:\Sys\Locale\Restore\Gaemz\ATownUncovered-Alpha_0.45a-pc\renpy\script.py", line 258, in scan_script_files
   elif fn.endswith(".rpyc"):
AttributeError: 'str' object has no attribute 'renpy'
At no time the renpy attribute is referenced in this part of the code.
But this one it's the second time I see it.

Taken together they look a bit like you might be using saves that are too old.
No.
The error for Young Again come from the parser, therefore it happen when Ren'Py is processing the raw RPY files, creating the RPYC ones. And the error for A Town Uncovered happen when Ren'Py is trying to load the RPYC files. Therefore both happen before Ren'Py even show the game main menu.

Are you on linux or something? Weird that it says windows on your log but you python lib is going to /home/
The libs are built by PyTom, the path are relative to his own computer ; "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/"

You might need to update your python version if you are running .rpy files directly, or use an older version if the games are older.
Except for A Town Uncover, the version of Ren'Py shown by the traceback match the one used by the game. But the exception is important here, because it also don't match the version of Ren'Py from the compressed version.

Add this to the error from A Town Uncover coming from the RPYC creation, a part that isn't processed with a release, because the RPYC are included, and you get the answer:

OP is playing sorcerer's apprentice, unrpycing the files, and moving everything in a random Ren'Py SDK, hoping that it will works because "magic". Then complain because messing with everything lead to errors...

razsoul

Feb 10, 2019
Thanks for all the responses and theories as to what could cause all this.

In case anyone with the same problem ever refers to this, the issue was my CPU. For some reason my CPU isn't stable at stock clocks without some calibration, i gave it a bit more voltage and increased LLC and all strange Renpy errors went away :)

It was interesting to see how i can run intensive games or benchmarks perfectly, but Renpy games turned out to be the clearest indicator of system instability haha.

• Wow
Reactions: Meaning Less

thisisaname314159

Jul 13, 2020
In case anyone else runs into this while googling from the future like I did.

Had the exact same symptoms. Similar hardware: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4, 13900K, 128GB, 4080

Fixed it by updating motherboard BIOS.

urbanvoid

Jun 26, 2018
I'm having this same issue also affecting Discord and VLC media player. Updated the BIOS but still happening. ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F.

Guess I will have to tweak it manually.

EDIT: Increased CPU voltage with 0.1V and now everything works.

Last edited:

BreadBox1221

Jan 4, 2018
I'm having the same issues currently and have it for awhile now, recently upgraded my pc when it comes to hardware and was working fine until recent. Now i get random crashes or failure to launch same as OP stated and as urbanvoid stated the problem extend to other applications like discord. I'm not really the greatest when it comes to messing around in BIOS and idk what i need to change or what to look for.
I have ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F with i9-13900K
Any help would be appreciated

urbanvoid

Jun 26, 2018
I'm having the same issues currently and have it for awhile now, recently upgraded my pc when it comes to hardware and was working fine until recent. Now i get random crashes or failure to launch same as OP stated and as urbanvoid stated the problem extend to other applications like discord. I'm not really the greatest when it comes to messing around in BIOS and idk what i need to change or what to look for.
I have ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F with i9-13900K
Any help would be appreciated
I solved it by RMAing my CPU and getting a new one.

Adarin

Aug 28, 2018
I've been having the same issue aswell, also running a 13900k. None of your fixes have done anything for me though. Bios is up to date and i dont really want to mess with the voltages as i know my cpu is stable with its current volt and i dont want to push more then it needs.

Any other theories out there?