Ren'Py - Abandoned - Alms Hotel [v0.1.1 Xmas Special] [Blaskure]

1. 3.00 star(s)

fulgartech

Reviewing V1.1
    This game reminds me a lot of Bad Hero. A morally reprehensible MC who does some pretty bad shit. But in its current state there just isn't too much to say about the story - this is a pretty new game without much story development yet.

The good:
    The renders are nice and well done. Clearly not their first time in this regard. The models are attractive, the scenes full enough but not distracting. Backgrounds are very solid. I didn't run into any obvious bugs in my playthrough.

The bad:
    MC is hard to empathize with. The story is still too new to have much to it yet. There doesn't seem to be any real choice in story development. Watch a scene, watch another scene, progress time, lather rinse repeat until there isn't any more content.

The ugly:
    Not too much in the ugly department other than the MC's demeaner. The developers seem to know how to make pretty decent art, and it all seems to run pretty well. I guess I could say the the gameplay is ugly right now in that it seems like this would be better as a VN with no choices right now - but that may change as the developers get things rolling more.

Right now I'll call this an average 3 star game since it works well, is good looking, but has limited story and gameplay at this point in development. If they get a couple releases in and story and gameplay don't improve well then my rateing will drop. If they actually add some gameplay and branching story options then it will probably increase. If they make it so I don't want to see the MC die in an ally sucking off a hobo for another fix of drano laced meth- that may increase my rating as well.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

VossJck

The main character is awful. Once you get to the hotel I guess it's game over because there are no quests and there is nothing to do. If you don't mind playing a sociopath this game might eventually be worth playing.
  3. 1.00 star(s)

deardemise

This was a rough game to start up and play. I understand it's early days (v. 0.1.), but here are my thoughts.

Storywise, the game starts off extremely fast and extremely creepy. There's no time spent on explaining who the characters are or why MC does what he does. In a couple of scenes, he moves from house to rehab to a drug house? It is extremely confusing.

The dialogue is rushed and weird, sometimes not even matching what happens in the scene (e.g. bus stop). The whole encounter is very confusing. Every other piece of dialogue references the "sissy" MC is confused with, which is just such poor use of language.

On top of that, typos galore.

There's plenty of work to be done on this game.