Tool Ren'Py Alternative/ Second save location for RenPy 7.7.1 / 8.2.1 SDK in Android Ports

Impious Monk

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2021
I haven't built this for 8.0.1 yet, as there have been a number of changes since 8.0.1 I was ready to wait for 8.0.2.
If you're already building with 8.0.1 your best bet would be to have this installed as a stand alone and set it up to build from the directory your main game folder is.
I'll look into updating this weekend if I have a chance.
Awesome, thanks for the response. And I'm sure we can all wait for the 8.0.2 build.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Hi all, I have made a package that will enable alternative or second saves in Android ports done on RenPy, currently 7.5.2 and 8.0.2

Based in part on the work done by Naidin and second save mod by DarkAssassin

Recommended Install RenPy 8.0.2/7.5.2/7.5.0.242n pre packaged below.
Bare files are provided as well including optional build naming. If you want to keep track of APK versions this is the easiest way.
- best to apply them before starting RenPy.

Optionally open all the .py and .rpy files and replace "RenPy_Saves" with a folder name of your choice(i.e. Wills747 ;) )
Hope this all makes sense.

By default saves will be in "Documents/RenPy_Saves/"
Also creates "Documents/RenPy_Saves/game" folder. This is now the default search path and mods or update files can be added there in the device.
SDK_LINK.bat included in bare files, Instructions in zip. Will save space if you have Android SDK installed already.
RenPy 8.0.2 Release

RenPy 7.5.2

RenPy 7.5.0.242n Nightly

Yes it's older but relatively bug free
Backport Android clean and tmp file cleanup.
RenPy changes listed in github, notably some games not going full screen either on start or after task switch.

Current:
RenPy 8.0.2
Includes rapt and ready to go.

RenPy 8.0.2 Bare Files Pack.

RenPy 7.5.2 Includes rapt and ready to go.

RenPy 7.5.2 Bare files pack.

Older Files:

RenPy 7.5.0.242n (Nightly) install Incl rapt with Single Alternative Save ready to go:

Bare files needed for 7.5.0.242n and optional build output naming:

(Older versions back to 7.4.5 are available on request but typically won't be supported)
Updated for RenPy 7.5.2 and 8.0.2

Last edited:
  • Yay, new update!
Reactions: ricardo85

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Wills747

PythonSDLActivity.java uses unchecked or unsafe operations

that message is sent to me by renpy when I am building an apk
Function requesting permission to read/write outside of the "android/data/game.name.here" folder
Gives us the ability to create and save in another folder, import season 1 saves/multisave/persistent into season 2 game etc etc.
And yes this permission could be used for evil.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
If I manage to download on my machine,

The problem is that the windows 10 protection detects it as a Trojan,

That's why I disable the protection
Perhaps mega has made a change in the transfer methods, I've seen another report in another thread basically the same for a zip file.

Lykanz

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
Has anyone tested this on the latest ren'py version (8.0.3)?

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Wills747 Seems like 8.0.3 doesn't work on Android 13 (one of the reports from Pixel 6 Pro). Another surprise from Google?
2 people said it just crashed right after opening, and they didn't get the file permissions request. Couldn't get any logs from them, but confirmed that it works on a non-modified app.

Wills747

Engaged Member
Dec 14, 2018
Wills747 Seems like 8.0.3 doesn't work on Android 13 (one of the reports from Pixel 6 Pro). Another surprise from Google?
2 people said it just crashed right after opening, and they didn't get the file permissions request. Couldn't get any logs from them, but confirmed that it works on a non-modified app.
Can you get them to test this?
It works with API33 as far as I can tell.
If it doesn't work for them there's not much I can do. Unless someone donates me a new phone lol

• Haha
Reactions: LightmanP

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Can you get them to test this?
It works with API33 as far as I can tell.
If it doesn't work for them there's not much I can do. Unless someone donates me a new phone lol
Thanks, I'll try.
Can't do a phone, but I'd be glad to show some appreciation, tell me where ;)