Android build successful ... but ... after install, game crashes on Android device

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I have successfully created an Android build in Ren'py using the latest versions of both Ren'py and Android Studio.

When I try to install either the v7a version or Universal Build on my Android device (RCA Tablet), it gives me the obligatory warnings about using applications from unknown developers (yeah, yeah, yeah) and Avast Antivirus complains about it being old (told it to ignore that), but after installing, every time I try to launch the game, it tells me Name_of_game has stopped. Any ideas as to what may be going on. My RCA tablet has Android version 7.1.1 (Nougat) installed. Any suggestions?

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
I have successfully created an Android build in Ren'py using the latest versions of both Ren'py and Android Studio.

When I try to install either the v7a version or Universal Build on my Android device (RCA Tablet), it gives me the obligatory warnings about using applications from unknown developers (yeah, yeah, yeah) and Avast Antivirus complains about it being old (told it to ignore that), but after installing, every time I try to launch the game, it tells me Name_of_game has stopped. Any ideas as to what may be going on. My RCA tablet has Android version 7.1.1 (Nougat) installed. Any suggestions?
Lower end devices like RCA tend to be lower on hardware specs. I'm guessing that if you've got it installed already, when the game expands into RAM it eats all of it and then poofs before the start screen because your device does not have enough memory for the application.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
That could definitely be it. The first game I successfully compiled and ran on my RCA was a very vanilla and very small basic Ren'py game with no custom coding. This game that I tried to compile for a friend is significantly more developed and quite a bit larger. I suggested to him that he seed the game to some Android players that he knows to test their experience with it as well.