Daz Another of my question. Probably simple...

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I work with DAZ for a while now but discover that i still have problems like i just started.

For example. When using poses from a random pose pack i would love for the figure to stay put but instead some poses send the figure somewhere else.
Is there a way to prevent that? Like i said in the title, it's probably simple but i just don't know it.

Nov 9, 2022
I work with DAZ for a while now but discover that i still have problems like i just started.

For example. When using poses from a random pose pack i would love for the figure to stay put but instead some poses send the figure somewhere else.
Is there a way to prevent that? Like i said in the title, it's probably simple but i just don't know it.
If applying the new pose changes the base figure's X, Y, and Z coordinates:
  1. Select the figure (not any specific bone). In the Parameters pane, make sure "Genesis 8.1 Female" or whatever is selected.
  2. Copy the figure's current position. In the Parameters pane, right click Transforms > Translation, mouse over the word Copy, and click Copy Selected Items
  3. Select your figure and apply the storebought pose.
  4. Paste the figure's old position into the Translation field. Ensure the character is still selected. In the Parameters pane, right click Transforms > Translation, mouse over the word Paste, and click Paste to Selected Item(s)

If applying the new pose does not change the base figure's X, Y, and Z coordinates:
  1. Select the character's Hip bone before applying the new pose.
  2. Copy the Hip bone's current position. In the Parameters pane, right click Transforms > Translation, mouse over the word Copy, and click Copy Selected Items
  3. Select your figure and apply the storebought pose.
  4. Paste the hip bone's old position into the moved hip bone. Select the hip bone again. In the Parameters pane, right click Transforms > Translation, mouse over the word Paste, and click Paste to Selected Item(s)
It's possible you might need to do both, depending on how the third-party pose was created.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I have to say, i know nothing about DAZ. And i thought i actually did. :rolleyes:

I thank you both for the answer. I never occurred to me but was always frustrated that i had move the figure because it ended up somewhere else. Actually, i thought it had something to do with the pose itself. Some poses don't move the figure. Others do.
Thanks, rayminator

TranscendentThots the copy idea isn't that bad i think. This is kind of what i did but not how you did it. I did the complicated way of writing it down.

Here is another quirk. Why are high heel poses always make the feet go up. Like litterly making the female walking on toes. This seems so unrealistic. I have to make my own feet pose. And sometimes, the reset in the menu under parameters doesn't do anything. They are probably too bend. :)

Thanks again. ;)

Nov 9, 2022
I have to say, i know nothing about DAZ. And i thought i actually did. :rolleyes:

I thank you both for the answer. I never occurred to me but was always frustrated that i had move the figure because it ended up somewhere else. Actually, i thought it had something to do with the pose itself. Some poses don't move the figure. Others do.
Thanks, rayminator

TranscendentThots the copy idea isn't that bad i think. This is kind of what i did but not how you did it. I did the complicated way of writing it down.

Here is another quirk. Why are high heel poses always make the feet go up. Like litterly making the female walking on toes. This seems so unrealistic. I have to make my own feet pose. And sometimes, the reset in the menu under parameters doesn't do anything. They are probably too bend. :)

Thanks again. ;)
The purpose of a high heel pose is to make high heeled shoes work.

Load your figure and apply the shoes. The shoes go on and she stands up on her tip-toes, and now the heel of the shoes is perfectly touching the ground.

If you load the shoes, then load the figure, and then auto-fit the shoes to the figure, the "high heels pose" doesn't get activated. Now her toes are probably sticking through the sides of the toebox, the shape of the shoe is all wrong, and the heel of the shoe is bent and buried under the ground.

Each high-heeled shoe mesh with heels of different lengths needs its own custom pose to make the shoes work.

If you make the shoes invisible while she's wearing them, then yes, she will be on her tip-toes unless you can manually turn off the high-heel pose. If you want to avoid this step, the only easy way is to maintain seperate nude and clothed scenes of each of your characters.

Edit: Everything I just said applies to characters in Daz Studio. If you want to correct for this in Unity or Unreal Engine or something, your best bet is to probably make your own pose for the engine to use. But telling you how that works is beyond the scope of my knowledge. Look for some kind of tutorial for animation blending in that particular engine, I guess? You want a looping 2 frames of "toes bent up" pose that can blend with your character the way you would blend an aiming or jumping animation with each other. When the shoes come off, you activate that animation.

Now she's floating a heel-length above the ground. So if she's not sitting or laying, move her root bone down one heel length after animtion but before the draw call.

Something like that, probably? I'm guessing.

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
The purpose of a high heel pose is to make high heeled shoes work.

Load your figure and apply the shoes. The shoes go on and she stands up on her tip-toes, and now the heel of the shoes is perfectly touching the ground.

If you load the shoes, then load the figure, and then auto-fit the shoes to the figure, the "high heels pose" doesn't get activated. Now her toes are probably sticking through the sides of the toebox, the shape of the shoe is all wrong, and the heel of the shoe is bent and buried under the ground.

Each high-heeled shoe mesh with heels of different lengths needs its own custom pose to make the shoes work.

If you make the shoes invisible while she's wearing them, then yes, she will be on her tip-toes unless you can manually turn off the high-heel pose. If you want to avoid this step, the only easy way is to maintain seperate nude and clothed scenes of each of your characters.

Edit: Everything I just said applies to characters in Daz Studio. If you want to correct for this in Unity or Unreal Engine or something, your best bet is to probably make your own pose for the engine to use. But telling you how that works is beyond the scope of my knowledge. Look for some kind of tutorial for animation blending in that particular engine, I guess? You want a looping 2 frames of "toes bent up" pose that can blend with your character the way you would blend an aiming or jumping animation with each other. When the shoes come off, you activate that animation.

Now she's floating a heel-length above the ground. So if she's not sitting or laying, move her root bone down one heel length after animtion but before the draw call.

Something like that, probably? I'm guessing.
Well, that is not exactly what i meant.
In fact, i think some poses like ZED tend to do a bad job when saying "high heel" pose.

Just an example.
Of course i am using the pose for the feet from the shoe but i also did some poses when i setup a scene how the figure will walk in those shoes.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So as much as i like ZED this isn't right. Anyway, it's not an issue really. Though it gives me a good laugh.

For the most part i am happy with what you can get. This is from the dForce Fashion Sophisticate asset. When using the shoe pose it is normal. Though it still needs adjustment. But that's what it is. Minor.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
A lot of the premade poses for high heels are done in a kind of "model on the catwalk" sort of style. They are not necessarily normal walking poses, but more high fashion "vogue" style stuff, to show off the calves I think. Some artists just kind of exaggerate that stuff, lol.

Many of the large pose packs come with both flat foot and high heel versions of the poses, so look at the descriptors closely. Also, some characters have foot poses included in their content library. I have a few of them and i find it easier sometimes to just open the content library and click on those to set my character's feet then looking up the specific pose under the POSE tab.

When a character is raised up in the Y axis for high heels, you can bring them down easy by just going to Edit --> Object --> Move to Floor (CTRL + D)

Finally, when you run into those cases where reset doesn't seem to want to move your bones back into place, try inputting 0 (zero) instead. For example, when I have a messed up hand, I normally just select the hand in the scene tab and chose "Select all children". Then in the Parameter tab, I select all the bones now listed and then I reset X,Y and Z to make the hand flat. Takes like 20 seconds. You can also select the hand and look under the hand poses, but I just find it faster doing it manually most times. Sometimes though, the reset doesn't work, so I just input 0's instead and that does the trick.

Another issue you might run into is when you reset a pose or an expression and yet your sliders seem to be off or not have the normal range of motion. I run into this a lot with eye movements. Normally, I do all my eye movements via the Paramaters Tab using Pose --> Head --> Eyes. But sometimes I find I can't move the eyes all the way one way or the other. I then have to select the eye "bone" itself in the scene tab and reset it. Some pose or morph changed the default position I think. But resetting it at the bone level usually fixes the Pose function.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
A lot of the premade poses for high heels are done in a kind of "model on the catwalk" sort of style. They are not necessarily normal walking poses, but more high fashion "vogue" style stuff, to show off the calves I think. Some artists just kind of exaggerate that stuff, lol.

Many of the large pose packs come with both flat foot and high heel versions of the poses, so look at the descriptors closely. Also, some characters have foot poses included in their content library. I have a few of them and i find it easier sometimes to just open the content library and click on those to set my character's feet then looking up the specific pose under the POSE tab.

When a character is raised up in the Y axis for high heels, you can bring them down easy by just going to Edit --> Object --> Move to Floor (CTRL + D)

Finally, when you run into those cases where reset doesn't seem to want to move your bones back into place, try inputting 0 (zero) instead. For example, when I have a messed up hand, I normally just select the hand in the scene tab and chose "Select all children". Then in the Parameter tab, I select all the bones now listed and then I reset X,Y and Z to make the hand flat. Takes like 20 seconds. You can also select the hand and look under the hand poses, but I just find it faster doing it manually most times. Sometimes though, the reset doesn't work, so I just input 0's instead and that does the trick.

Another issue you might run into is when you reset a pose or an expression and yet your sliders seem to be off or not have the normal range of motion. I run into this a lot with eye movements. Normally, I do all my eye movements via the Paramaters Tab using Pose --> Head --> Eyes. But sometimes I find I can't move the eyes all the way one way or the other. I then have to select the eye "bone" itself in the scene tab and reset it. Some pose or morph changed the default position I think. But resetting it at the bone level usually fixes the Pose function.
Yes, that was my impression in regard of the high heels poses.
I just find that most of them don't really look real. I even looked it up to see how you actually walk in high heels.
I think you probably need to do a lot of manual adjustments to have look real.

As for the resetting. I agree.
It is strange though. There seems to be some bug perhaps. Now i make several figures with their clothing. If one figure gets messed up, i just load the other one instead.
But doing the zero in the parameters seems to solve it most of the time.
DAZ is just sometimes really weird. Even the supplied zero poses sometimes don't do anything. At least that is my impression.
I usually use the reset options in the parameters. When it works.

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022
Yes, that was my impression in regard of the high heels poses.
I just find that most of them don't really look real. I even looked it up to see how you actually walk in high heels.
I think you probably need to do a lot of manual adjustments to have look real.

As for the resetting. I agree.
It is strange though. There seems to be some bug perhaps. Now i make several figures with their clothing. If one figure gets messed up, i just load the other one instead.
But doing the zero in the parameters seems to solve it most of the time.
DAZ is just sometimes really weird. Even the supplied zero poses sometimes don't do anything. At least that is my impression.
I usually use the reset options in the parameters. When it works.
Ya, I still haven't figured out why some of my poses won't reset. It's almost like some morph or prebuilt pose has changed the defaults. I can work around it though.

I've gotten into the habit now that when I spend ages making a complicated pose with a specific outfit and characters, I save it as a scene_subset. Then it's under the 'My Library' tab and I can add it easy to any other scene. Or re-add it, if I screw things up royally and have to delete the characters, lol.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ya, I still haven't figured out why some of my poses won't reset. It's almost like some morph or prebuilt pose has changed the defaults. I can work around it though.

I've gotten into the habit now that when I spend ages making a complicated pose with a specific outfit and characters, I save it as a scene_subset. Then it's under the 'My Library' tab and I can add it easy to any other scene. Or re-add it, if I screw things up royally and have to delete the characters, lol.
Well, poses that are important to me i will keep.
I think i tried pretty much anything i could think off to reset the character but that doesn't work all the time.

Honestly, i think i switch to make my own poses. It takes some time but then it's mine. Kind off.
Most poses need always adjustments. And now i have gotten better in doing poses in general. Even the sexy ones.
I usually check myself how i would move and apply that to the pose as best as i can.

That won't solve the resetting issue but perhaps maybe. Don't know. Have to keep an eye on it.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
well there one other way resetting a character by using the timeline by clicking menu = and clicking on Clear Animation and then clicking Clear Figure Pose that if you want to reset the whole character

1669175673213.png

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
well there one other way resetting a character by using the timeline by clicking menu = and clicking on Clear Animation and then clicking Clear Figure Pose that if you want to reset the whole character

View attachment 2188088
Interesting.
I have to try that. Though i am not using animations but maybe that will solve the problem. Doesn't happen all the time and i should write down which animation did it but i will try that when i encounter it again.
Thanks, Ray

Turning Tricks

Rendering Fantasies
Game Developer
Apr 9, 2022

View attachment 2188088
The Timeline and basically most of the animation stuff scares the bejeesus out of me. I've been avoiding learning about that up to now, mainly because my rendering hardware is not up to doing animations. I have used the Timeline for doing dForce stuff though.

After I am done this project, I'll devote some time learning about that stuff.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
The Timeline and basically most of the animation stuff scares the bejeesus out of me. I've been avoiding learning about that up to now, mainly because my rendering hardware is not up to doing animations. I have used the Timeline for doing dForce stuff though.

After I am done this project, I'll devote some time learning about that stuff.
Well, i did not even think of that option.
So i am glad that i asked.

Animations? I am not a big fan of animations. The way i see it, its a novel i want to see and not movie clips.
But i know half of users like animations. To me it has to play it self in the mind. So that is why i never bothered to learn animations. Besides the intense work flow and additional programs i would need to learn as well.

Maybe if i were younger but... nah..