Ren'Py Antivirus problem

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
Can you tell me, why my anti-virus the exe as a TR/Crypt.ZPACK.Gen mentions.

I find it's false positive detection but what cause it?

Thanks for any advices.

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
Well it's not on my PC. I created game and some players told me this.
One said it's Avast.

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
Avast gives false positives on Ren'py.
Yeah but is there something I can do with it? On one forum I read that it can be caused because of icon file but I'm not sure...

This is what I found:
"Without the icon file only 2 "antivirus" are giving a false positive (Cylance and Jiangmin) instead of 8.
I tested it with the last release of Ren'Py 7.1.0.882."

Well I used Ren'Py 7.0.0

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
If you're comfortable with building projects using the RenPy launcher, you could remove the icon yourself and see if your antivirus still complains.
  • Unpack the game using Unren
  • Copy the .rpy files from the /game/ folder to an equivalent project folder used for RenPy projects source.
  • Copy the images, sound and other folders to your RenPy projects folder too.
  • Copy the /gui/ folder too.
  • (Don't copy the whole game there... some files like script_version.txt can cause issues.
  • Make sure the icon.ico file doesn't exist in your project's root folder (this is the icon added to the executable during build).
  • Then use the [Build] button on the RenPy launcher to create a distribution .ZIP file for the game.
  • Unpack it somewhere else... and play... see if your antivirus complains again.
If you're ever in any doubt... upload the problematic game .exe to a website like ... where it will run your suspect file through over 60 different virus checkers. Figure a score of 1 or 2 out of 60+ is a false positive. Zero would be great. A dozen or more... be worried. :)
Also remember not all antivirus engines are created equal... some are more prone to false positives than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grumpy Eagle

the66

beware, the germans are cumming
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jan 27, 2017
well this is waht I have in options.rpy

define config.window_icon = "gui/window_icon.png"
and this icon won't give you any scanner response, because it is hardly scanned at all.
you most probably have used a tool like Resource Hacker to change the icon of Ren'Pys exe file directly. and this triggers the sentries of some anti-virus scanner.

Grumpy Eagle

Game Developer
May 12, 2018
If you're comfortable with building projects using the RenPy launcher, you could remove the icon yourself and see if your antivirus still complains.
  • Unpack the game using Unren
  • Copy the .rpy files from the /game/ folder to an equivalent project folder used for RenPy projects source.
  • Copy the images, sound and other folders to your RenPy projects folder too.
  • Copy the /gui/ folder too.
  • (Don't copy the whole game there... some files like script_version.txt can cause issues.
  • Delete the window_icon.png file from your project's /gui/ folder.
  • Then use the [Build] button on the RenPy launcher to create a distribution .ZIP file for the game.
  • Unpack it somewhere else... and play... see if your antivirus complains again.
I'm not sure if just using something like define config.window_icon = None might work. But it might be worth a try.

If you're ever in any doubt... upload the problematic game .exe to a website like ... where it will run your suspect file through over 60 different virus checkers. Figure a score of 1 or 2 out of 60+ is a false positive. Zero would be great. A dozen or more... be worried. :)
OK I used and score was 6 of 70.

When I simply remove icon.ico and everything else leave as it is score is 2 of 70.

Only one warning:

Jiangmin
Trojan.Heur.aom
Trapmine
Suspicious.low.ml.score

Reactions: 79flavors

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
When I simply remove icon.ico and everything else leave as it is score is 2 of 70.
Damn. You're right.
This is what happens when I use the laptop instead of my main computer... I have to rely on my memory, and my memory sucks.
Yup... icon.ico affects the built version of the executable. window_icon.png is the icon displayed by windows in the taskbar and the top left corner of the window (in versions of windows before Win8).
Editing my original post to fix that.