Any alternatives to saveeditonline for Unity?

Horizon666

Jun 30, 2018
Hey guys, just a quick question for you all (I suspect I'm going to be out of luck, but doesn't hurt to ask).

I've used for years now, I suspect that anyone who regularly uses this site will know about it.

Just recently, I tried to use it to edit a Unity save file, and discovered that it's been heavily pay-walled now.

It used to be that you could basically use the functions, but if you wanted to make repeated save alterations, you had to wait a minute or two between them.

This was fine with me, I completely understood.

Now however, the main things that you might want to edit (stats, money etc), are now locked and you can (or at least I could) only edit useless fields and all the useful ones stop you from editing and throw up a Patreon popup window.

I have a save editor that works fine for Renpy, so that's covered, but when it comes to Unity, I'm kinda screwed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: tor97480

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
When it comes to Unity games, you should consider the game as its individual thing rather than looking for a general purpose solution.

Some Unity Developers use a horrible thing called playerprefs, so you will find savedata in your registry (ew), that'd be easy to edit.

Reactions: Twistty

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
What game? For instance Third Crisis saves are JSON files, if I am not mistaken: you only need a (good) text editor.
In the worst case, there always is CheatEngine (or Game Conqueror on Linux).

Reactions: Winterfire

Horizon666

Jun 30, 2018
Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciated and pretty much what I expected (I've been known to be wrong before though and I don't know everything).

The game I was trying to fiddle with is a new one that's just recently appeared on the site Love of Magic https://f95zone.to/threads/love-of-magic-v0-1-18-droid-productions.41188/
It uses .sav files as the format. I tried using Notpad++, but no dice.

I'm not exactly desperate to edit this particular game (Though it does seem pretty promising so far), it was more of a realisation that saveeditonline wasn't usable anymore, so I thought I should ask more (and more knowledgeable) people in case there was a simple alternative.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The save format does not really matter (The developer gets to choose what to name the format), what matters is its contents.
Since you were unable to edit it with notepad++, I assume it gave you a lot of weird letters, perhaps in caps?
If that is the case, the most common case (at least the one I use myself and saw others using too) is BASE64, I have found a small guide in case it is the same for you as well:

In general, you may want to use cheats though (the thread points to a cheats menu), editing saves can break the game.

Horizon666

Jun 30, 2018
Thanks Winterfire, you pretty much summed it up.

This is a copy and paste of a part of a random line, to give you an idea (I have a feeling we're talking about the same thing though).

ÿÿÿÿ FAssembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

And so on and so forth (oddly, it didn't copy it all over, could be a font colour thing or something) Should say NUL SOH NUL NUL etc.

I'll try out your suggestion. Always nice to have alternative options.

Much appreciated.

Reactions: cakacakaca6

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Oh, that does not look like BASE64, you could try to upload it here and someone (including me?) might give it a look.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
In this game, saves are stored in %UserProfile%\AppData\LocalLow\Droid Productions\Love of Magic or something like that (I am on Linux, I cannot test the path properly).

I guess I managed to edit a save through a HEX editor. The stats (light and dark points, money, strength, charisma and intelligence) are at the end of the save file; their value is stored in the byte immediately after their name. In this screenshot I have highlighted the values of the last four stats:

Love_of_Magic.png

For instance, the byte next to "cash" is 5A. This number is how many pounds the MC has (5A in the hexadecimal numeral system = 90 in the decimal system).
If I change it to FF (= 255), I save the file and I reload it: MC's money goes from £90 to £255.

On a side note: I could be mistaken, but I think that the game sort the saves in descending order, that is the most recent ones are on top.
Oh, and Notepad++ should include a hex editor, but the plugin is not installed by default. If someone can't install it through the plugin manager, they can manually download the DLL from .

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys. Appreciated and pretty much what I expected (I've been known to be wrong before though and I don't know everything).

The game I was trying to fiddle with is a new one that's just recently appeared on the site Love of Magic https://f95zone.to/threads/love-of-magic-v0-1-18-droid-productions.41188/
It uses .sav files as the format. I tried using Notpad++, but no dice.

I'm not exactly desperate to edit this particular game (Though it does seem pretty promising so far), it was more of a realisation that saveeditonline wasn't usable anymore, so I thought I should ask more (and more knowledgeable) people in case there was a simple alternative.
The save format is just a binary serialization from C#; you'd kinda need to know what the data structures stored were for it to make any sense. Having said that, I've included the debug console; press CTRL+J, and you can edit all the key variables and flags directly from ingame.

Apart from that, Act II is in final testing... hopefully release in the next day or so.

BoopEveryNose

Aug 28, 2020
I haven't had any issues with editing files as you mentioned, but my problem is that the file format for the game i'm playing is blank, like it has no file extension for the save files so I can't edit it with saveditonline.

Last edited:

Sheepy Cloud

Apr 22, 2020
I haven't had any issues with editing files as you mentioned, but my problem is that the file format for the game i'm playing is blank, like it has no file extension for the save files so I can't edit it with saveditonline.
I've seen that before, but for a really old game.
You can possibly just change the extension to .sav/e, and it might work, but you do risk causing irreparable damage.
(Which, if you're on a windows OS, it will warn you about when you change file extensions. Not sure about any others though.)

cakacakaca6

Jul 12, 2017
Thanks Winterfire, you pretty much summed it up.

This is a copy and paste of a part of a random line, to give you an idea (I have a feeling we're talking about the same thing though).

ÿÿÿÿ FAssembly-CSharp, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

And so on and so forth (oddly, it didn't copy it all over, could be a font colour thing or something) Should say NUL SOH NUL NUL etc.

I'll try out your suggestion. Always nice to have alternative options.

Much appreciated.
Sorry for necroposting, but I'm editing other games which have the same line! Also, I searched for a (non-Unity based) save editor that have a GUI (or simply a [de]serializer) but there's no such result. Has anyone overcome this?