• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Daz Any Daz + Ren'py user/devs on Windows 11 yet?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Seeing as Windows 11 is relatively unchanged under the hood (for the most part, it seems), I'd think Daz and Ren'py should work fine. I'm sure Ren'py is about as stable as it usually is, but I'm curious how Daz runs on Windows 11 for the early adopters, if there are any weird/detrimental bugs and if all the regular scripts/plugins (Look at Me, Mesh Grabber, Scene Optimizer, etc.) all work well still. I also saw a of a user saying Daz is slower on Windows 11, but he does some pretty questionable stuff while rendering (leaving Iray preview on while rendering, playing music on YT, and recording with OBS, all at the same time.).

I'll probably give it a few updates to work out the kinks before I go to Windows 11, but as mentioned, I'm curious how the early adopters are faring with the initial release.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
renpy/daz work fine for me in window 11

but it all depends on your hardware everybody will be different

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
renpy/daz work fine for me in window 11

but it all depends on your hardware everybody will be different
My system is probably fairly upper/high-end (i7 10700, 64GB/3600mhz, 3080), so I wasn't really worried about that. My main concern was the software side of things mixed with the newness of Windows 11. Stuff like broken scripts/plugins, or just straight up stability issues from Daz (and its addons) itself.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
the only way to find out is to update to win 11 you have 10 days to go back to win 10 if anything goes wrong

MLocke

Feb 3, 2021
It's not that close to Windows 10 as one would think. I would be careful about going to Windows 11 because many users (on social media / forums) are saying that it's still very much a beta.

At the very least, I would try to free up space for a new partition, so that you can dual boot then wipe it out later if things don't go as planned. You should try your workflow out including stress testing (to uncover potential hardware problems as some have reported).

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
I am not sure but my GPU memory runs out more frequently after updating to windows 11. The Render Preview window shows a black screen and stops the rendering process every time it happens. I have to close/open the Daz application and everything backs to normal. Situations like that didn't occur that frequently in Windows 10.

GPU - 2070 8GB
Ram - 32 GB
CPU - i7 10th Gen (I disable CPU/ CPU fallback for faster render, and I also want to use denoiser which only works with GPU rendering)

If I enable CPU fallback, I never get a black screen so I am sure it is because I run out of GPU memory.

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
I am not sure but my GPU memory runs out more frequently after updating to windows 11. The Render Preview window shows a black screen and stops the rendering process every time it happens. I have to close/open the Daz application and everything backs to normal. Situations like that didn't occur that frequently in Windows 10.

GPU - 2070 8GB
Ram - 32 GB
CPU - i7 10th Gen (I disable CPU/ CPU fallback for faster render, and I also want to use denoiser which only works with GPU rendering)

If I enable CPU fallback, I never get a black screen so I am sure it is because I run out of GPU memory.
make sure you have the latest video card updates

and do this open settings/display/graphics/ then click on change default graphics settings and turn off hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling it might help

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
make sure you have the latest video card updates

and do this open settings/display/graphics/ then click on change default graphics settings and turn off hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling it might help
Wow, you are a lifesaver. I regularly update the GPU driver. Now I've tried turning off hardware-accelerated and seems like my problem has been solved. Wow, can't thank you enough. If I may ask, why does that option matter?