Any devs with actual experience of Patreon "review"?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
What they said when they forced Mr.Dots to start a second game, was that "you can't fund a game that contain banned content, whatever where this game is available".

I fear that they would see a second version as violating their ToS, as much as the patch did ; as long as it's clearly made by the same dev, it would be against their ToS.

Entirely possible. I wasn't aware of the Mr. Dots situation.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
[...] "you can't fund a game that contain banned content, whatever where this game is available".
Here's an odd question for someone with a much higher degree of knowledge of than I have....

Is the depiction of actually illegal?

By which I mean, it's illegal to shoot someone in the head with a gun. But the depiction of exactly that is the core of a significant number of computer games and movies. Rape is illegal, yet the movie Deliverance (1972) received 3 Oscar nominations.
Equally, both Amazon and Audible have both written and audio books available which depict "almost" incestuous relationships (search either or for "Seth Daniels" as just one example). Hell, the has entire brands set up which focus on Daddy, Mommy or sibling type movies. I can buy on Amazon, which is described as one of Heinlein's "classic" novels and which has none of the current "step siblings" type side stepping.

All those products and companies have large scale suppliers of credit card services. Which makes me wonder if it really is law... or just morality being dispensed by indirect routes?

And that's all ignoring the elephant in the room which was Game of Thrones. I'm reasonably sure HBO takes Mastercard.

It often bugs me when people don't seem to want trust others to separate fantasy from reality.

"The characters, names and events in this presentation are fictional. Any resemblance or similarity to any actual events, entities or persons, whether living or dead is entirely coincidental"... WELL SHIT... You mean Darth Vader isn't real? No shit Sherlock, I never would have guessed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lockheart

Lockheart

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Here's an odd question for someone with a much higher degree of knowledge of than I have....

By which I mean, it's illegal to shoot someone in the head with a gun. But the depiction of exactly that is the core of a significant number of computer games and movies. Rape is illegal, yet the movie Deliverance (1972) received 3 Oscar nominations.
Equally, both Amazon and Audible have both written and audio books available which depict "almost" incestuous relationships (search either or for "Seth Daniels" as just one example). Hell, the has entire brands set up which focus on Daddy, Mommy or sibling type movies. I can buy on Amazon, which is described as one of Heinlein's "classic" novels and which has none of the current "step siblings" type side stepping.

All those products and companies have large scale suppliers of credit card services. Which makes me wonder if it really is law... or just morality being dispensed by indirect routes?

And that's all ignoring the elephant in the room which was Game of Thrones. I'm reasonably sure HBO takes Mastercard.

I often bugs me when people don't seem to want trust others to separate fantasy from reality.

"The characters, names and event in this presentation are fictional. Any resemblance or similarity to any actual event, entities or persons, whether living or dead is entirely coincidental"... WELL SHIT... You mean Darth Vader isn't really? No shit Sherlock, I never would have guessed.
America is fun. We pride ourselves on Freedom yet have some pretty interesting 'clauses' for it. You can own a gun, you can drink yourself stupid, smoke cigarettes until your lungs collapse and you can eat cheeseburgers until your heart explodes. But Marijuana was illegal for decades. Prostitution is still illegal in most states. Homosexuals can't get married.

Our society is like a bad, inappropriate joke and nobody is laughing.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017

As far as I understood the many discussion about the subject, it isn't illegal as long as it's a cartoon. But keep in mind that Patreon can at anytime go further than Law, as long as it don't deprive their users of their own rights. If tomorrow they decide that no creation can have blue in them, they can ; it's their site, they decide what they agree to host or not.

Well, apparently it's morality of an English former politician who made a big mess complaining directly to the credit card services [ ]. Initially because some girls were offering more than pictures and live show on Patreon, and he added the tendentious content in his complain.
While the credit card services would probably haven't cared this much about "depiction of", I assume that it was more ambiguous when mixed with prostitution and they don't search further, whatever if the two were in fact separated subjects.