Anyone experiecing issues running Ren'Py in VMware Workstation?

kecalluttu

Sep 14, 2017
Hi,

I'm running all the Games within a VMware Workstation Virtual Machine (Windows). Unfortunately I'm experiencing issues running Ren'Py. It crashes after an uncertain amount of time. After starting it again, it's running for another uncertain times, until the next crash occurs.

I wasn't able to find the cause for the crashes. Memory and CPU are not much utilized. For me there is no certain factor.
On the Ren'Py website I found a remark for Display Problems for renderers ( ). Afaik there is no way to get OpenGL or DirectX running in a virtual machine. However, I'm not sure is this may be the reason for my crashes.

Acceleration of 3D graphics are enabled and 2GB of RAM may be used for graphics memory.

Any ideas? Or I am the only one, who uses a virtual machine for running the great amount of games?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Jan 26, 2024
I know this is old, but google bring me back here when searching for that exact problem.

For now, the only solution is to disable the 3D aceleration. Will work fine, but the animations will struggle a little.

The strange part is than worked some time ago without problems. I think some new Renpy versions have this problem.