Daz Are all premade scenes full of giant objects so to delete stuff you don't need you have to geometry editor? {daz3d}

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
It depends on how the model was created, but the easiest way to get rid of unwanted meshes is select one vertex and then flood-select all geometry linked to it by edges/faces. You can do that in Daz's geometry editor but it's buried somewhere in the right-click menu. In Blender you hover your mouse over it and press L. If it's just one or two things then it's probably quicker to do it in Daz even though its UI sucks. But the more geometry you need to edit the more time you save with Blender in the long run. Also if you need to edit the wall geometry behind the smiley face or its textures/UVs, obviously you need Blender anyway.
I agree that daz leaves much to be desired, but this is one of the rare points where it's actually not awful: in the Geom editor, its "CTRL-*" to flood select connected lines/polys, and CTRL-Plus / CTRL-Minus to expand/contract selection.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
I agree that daz leaves much to be desired, but this is one of the rare points where it's actually not awful: in the Geom editor, its "CTRL-*" to flood select connected lines/polys, and CTRL-Plus / CTRL-Minus to expand/contract selection.
Hmm, I think my 4.15 install was fucked because those hotkeys didn't use to be there. But now that I checked in the newest version I see you're right. So in this case Daz was awful because it's GUI system is full of bugs, not because they forget to include hotkeys.

Still, "not awful" isn't saying much. Let me know when they add select linked flat faces or select shortest path.

I'll wait.

Apr 18, 2021
Didn't read the whole thread but left1000 not all assets are created equally. FG is one of the most prolific authors but there are lots of better authors out there, sometimes with good assets all broken down, some with combined mesh, some not. Honestly though if you were making all this shit from scratch yourself in Unreal Engine you would need an entire team of pros and a million dollar budget.

There are tools you need to learn for Daz in this instance to make stuff your own. Try "surface selection" then 0 opacity the items you don't want, or "geometry editor" and delete nodes or even "mesh grabber" sometimes and push them out of the way. Finally, sometimes you just have to use brute force. In my game, the school needed another hallway and the model was just one big mesh with no nodes to edit so I hand painted the hallway into Photoshop. Not fun but you do what needs to be done.

Reactions: left1000