Daz Are Gen3 still worth it to use?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I am pondering about this question.

Of course, old generation. Less details, not as movements perhaps. To be honest, i don't know.
I see some games, which are older, where these figures don't look actually that bad.
What i don't know, if these are perhaps changed in a way.
So i wonder if it's still worth it to use Gen3 in 2023 or if you should just forget about them.
My personal problem is, that i don't know the technical side of DAZ that well and i would appreciate if someone can shed some light in to this issue.
Are there less poses or other pitfalls i did not think about?

Or a little differently asked, what do you lose if you use Gen3?

Last edited:

EchoFoxtrot

"Wholesome Violence or Violently Wholesome"
Game Developer
Sep 5, 2018
Hi

I have gotten a bunch of G2s and G3s on sales in the last few years. I use them mostly as secondary characters or even G1s as background characters.
Regarding movement, G3 is very close to G8 in most movement options, and pose converters are pretty good even when you take G8 poses back to fit G3.

Textures are better but still a good G3 is not bad by any means if you ask me

If your system can't handle G8s then use G3

I have a soccer game in my VN where I use G3 with G1 or G2 hair on the opposition team and G8s with G3 hair on the MC team.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So i wonder if it's still worth it to use Gen3 in 2023 or if you should just forget about them.
No but yes.

As main character in your scene, just forget about them. If really there's a clothes you want to use, at it only exist for Genesis 3, there's conversion tools, and at worse autofit works relatively well. Then apply a shader to it for a better looks.
But as background characters, therefore fillers for your scene to not looks lifeless, well, it can be interesting if you don't have much computing power (low RAM, old GPU, etc), since Genesis 3 are less asking than Genesis 8 and of course 9. But then you'll have to maintain libraries (morphs, poses and clothes) just for this, what mean that you gain times when rendering your scenes, but loose times when building them (where the fuck is the poses I want is harder to answer when you've to remember twice more information) and have more headaches because you've more assets.

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Well, my main thinking was, if it's worth doing it with just Gen3 instead of Gen8. But it seems it may not.
Of course, i think that Gen3 is most likely not equal to Gen8 but i never really questioned the fact that Gen8 is just that figure you suppose to use.

I noticed that there are a lot of interesting assets for Gen3/V4,V7 whatever. It seems that especially for dirty stuff, there is a lot more available for Gen3 than for Gen8. I think i seen even a Peepshow for Gen3 (even an adult theater). Don't know where it was. Probably Renderotica.
There are some nice Poser assets that may not look state of the art anymore but still are great imo.

Some games that people seem to love have Gen3 characters. If i am really honest, i never seen a difference (as a player) but that is perhaps because you look at the action and not so much on the character itself.
Dunno.
Not sure if there are new games that are using Gen3. I haven't played a game in ages.

No, my system isn't that slow or anything. I am really curious because i never looked into that. As some random NPC, yes, i had done that.
I still don't know how to do filler characters. I played a little with making them just black. Saves clothing and hair but becomes dull at the same time.

I work on a scene with a gloryhole. I takes me ages to get it the way i have it in my mind. Lights, and characters. I relay more and more on free assets that i find just to cut the possible expense.
Even characters that aren't really important.
My avatar is Mercy (Gen8/8.1) which looks really great. These details i haven't seen really with Gen3.

But i think i will look more into Gen3 for NPC's.

Sep 3, 2022
I can do nearly anything with g3 that I can do with g8. They are nearly identical. There are some limitations in terms of available clothing and hair and such. But most of that either works with g3 or can be made to. But in terms of texture resolution they are pretty much identical. I use the 4k g8 textures on g3 and v7 for example

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
G3 is not worth it anymore if you're only interested in graphics. On the other hand, most games that use G8.1 or G9 are crap. Not even the latest tech could save those disasters.
EchoFoxtrot actually put it pretty well. G3 and below are fairly lightweight, which make them better looking billboards, in so many ways.

As for 8.1 and 9-based games (Are any games actively using G9 right now? Seems like a headache with the lack of sex-based assets currently.) being crap? That seems a bit generalized. They're just the tool to making the games/VNs. It's like a car hitting another person. Nobody blames the car for hitting them, just the person who hit them.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I played a little around with these Gen3 and i think they don't look that bad at all.
Probably not really great for a main character in 2023 but otherwise, really great.
That eliminates also the billboards. I kind of hate them. Larger download and not much there. I really have to make me a library of Gen3.

Not sure about Gen9. I think my system is not made for them.
Got me also dicktator for freaken Gen3. I really hate this addon because you need the other one as well because otherwise you can't apply the textures. What a ripoff.

Reactions: EchoFoxtrot

Sven2022

Jun 23, 2022
i still use G3F for one of my big boob characters.
the only difference to G8.1 is that i dont have all body morphs/posing corrections but i could probably get those aswell.
other than that no difference except that G8.1 are sluggish to move around.
its not about the characters you use that makes it.
as someone stated above even when developers today uses G8.1 or G9 renderers often still looks crap.
there is much more to it than what Gen you use for the models.

G3F for both here
next_level_serie_new_premium_gallery_by_rev2019_dfmutq6.png

G3F and G8M here
adrianna_and_greg_the_morning_2_by_rev2019_df6q6i2.jpg

/rev2019
check my deviantart page for more thiiick babes

Last edited:

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I have to say, i am confused.
This example looks really nice and i scratch my head at the moment, if i should look more into Gen3.
Yes, they are in a sense obsolete because they probably don't have all the moves but do have details.
As someone who doesn't actually or probably ever will release anything, i think i am ok with Gen3. Though i noticed that there aren't a lot of expressions and perhaps poses.
Load should be quick. The males i put in my scene loaded pretty quickly.
Another observation is the SubD. It seems for the character i took they don't have that. Again, i am lame because i never really follow the technical details.
Anyway Sven2022 thanks for the example. I envy you for that scene. :)

Reactions: Sven2022
Sep 3, 2022
i still use G3F for one of my big boob characters.
the only difference to G8.1 is that i dont have all morphs/posing corrections but i could probably get those aswell.
other than that no fucking difference except that G8.1 are sluggish to move around.
as someone stated above even when developers today uses G8.1 or G9 renderers often still looks crap.
its much more to it than what Gen you use for the models.

G3F for both here
Yep. I have even got g8 morphs working on g3/v7 by simply dropping the content into the g3 data and runtime folders. Boom! Now I have that good shit from g8 on my g3. Doesn't always work but you'd probably be surprised by how much does.
Honestly the only things I have trouble with g3 is finding specific shoe styles or similar issues. g8 has a shitload more clothes. And yes many fit g3 but socks and shoes do not.
Anyway over all I personally have ZERO plans to toss out g3 any time soon.

Sven2022

Jun 23, 2022
Anyway Sven2022 thanks for the example. I envy you for that scene. :)
no problem
i forgot to add that i even use PBR skin on this G3F model.
Eyes are probably the one area which is better on the G8.1 models
they look more realistic with better reflections
agc_34_by_rev2019_df4j3ac.png

i post the PBR skin duf file from IT roy that i use.
just drop it to any character/gen with Iray skin
View attachment PBRSkin-ITRoy.rar

Sep 3, 2022
This example looks really nice and i scratch my head at the moment said:
Sven2022[/USER] thanks for the example. I envy you for that scene. :)
Just play with DAZ. Set up scenes and figure out how things work. I make a point to go watch videos on YouTube because anything I learn is a gain. I've been messing around with Daz since 2019 I think. I get a little burned out occasionally but without fail I come back to it with new ideas. I left g3 alone for probably a whole year. In fact I've ignored g3 off and on over the few years. Point is when I come back to g3 I have a load of new tricks. Here's a few more g3/v7s (pretty sure I uploaded all of these to the Daz thread?) but they are all Genesis 3.

Sep 3, 2022
"Though I noticed that there aren't a lot of expressions and perhaps poses."

Most expressions for the g8 will work on g3. There's a really good pose converter for using g8 poses on g3. You just load the pose on g3 and hit the corrector preset...

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Just play with DAZ. Set up scenes and figure out how things work. I make a point to go watch videos on YouTube because anything I learn is a gain. I've been messing around with Daz since 2019 I think. I get a little burned out occasionally but without fail I come back to it with new ideas. I left g3 alone for probably a whole year. In fact I've ignored g3 off and on over the few years. Point is when I come back to g3 I have a load of new tricks. Here's a few more g3/v7s (pretty sure I uploaded all of these to the Daz thread?) but they are all Genesis 3.
Yeah, they look... nice :love:

I think i always come across some Gen3 stuff. DeviantArt is full of them.
Renderosity has a lot.
Anyway, i am playing around. My main challenge is still light.
I made a naughty scene (actually BDSM, abuse) that isn't that easy. I usually check how it renders. If it walks like a snail, something is wrong.
Now, the challenge was, how to toss in some males to get a small crowd. So in the beginning i just made Gen8 in black. Drawback is of course, you don't see them smiling unless you look very close.
So now with Gen 3 in the mix, it looks more life like. Still, i work on this scene for 2 weeks now. Always trying something new out.
How much lights are too much? Brightness.
It's quite fun but it drags on. So now i will try the scene with a Gen 3 female. There isn't much clothing i really use and i use some free stuff for the Gen8 at the moment. The only thing that i couldn't get was shoes. So Keiko is my choice since they have a lot of features. I think it's Prefox.

Gen8 has probably the most variety but i usually don't get all but only the stuff i am really interested in. So my library in use is rather small.
Even expressions and poses i limit as most are the same anyway and you only need a handful. I rather have partials which are harder to get.
And to my realization i don't even make use of powerpose.

But i have to admit that Gen's in general aren't so much different. At least to me. I will make some tests to see what works. Characters are usually the hardest part. For me.

As for my example, keep in mind that i didn't put a lot of effort in the males. Dick goes through pants and even their pose, well... it's a pose.

Sep 3, 2022
That is a sausage party! ;) I imagine these fellas are waiting for a turn.

As far as lights, load up different lights on just one character. Not to make a render but to learn how it works. Load up some HDRIs and see what they do. The more testing and experimenting you do the more you'll learn. Spend time in the scene parameters. You can control nearly everything over in that tab.

As far as clothing and stuff... Well my friend. There's a TON of it here in the releases section ;) I have a 2T drive that is STUFFED full..... I need to just build a machine with 8Tb just for DAZ :ROFLMAO:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Except, for someone who can correctly light a scene, the quality of 8.1 and 9 are leagues above most G3 figures. From skin to FACS. Not saying anyone shouldn't use G3, especially if they're on older hardware, but objectively speaking, the quality comparison isn't even close.

Sven2022

Jun 23, 2022
Except, for someone who can correctly light a scene, the quality of 8.1 and 9 are leagues above most G3 figures. From skin to FACS. Not saying anyone shouldn't use G3, especially if they're on older hardware, but objectively speaking, the quality comparison isn't even close.
show me the money instead of talk
RTX3090 here but i use G3F anway
im so fucking good so it doesnt matter what model i use ;)

90% of the game developers here should learn how to properly light up their characters instead of worrying what Gen they are using.
G3F or G8.1F is the least issue.
most fails with everything else.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
That is a sausage party! ;) I imagine these fellas are waiting for a turn.

As far as lights, load up different lights on just one character. Not to make a render but to learn how it works. Load up some HDRIs and see what they do. The more testing and experimenting you do the more you'll learn. Spend time in the scene parameters. You can control nearly everything over in that tab.

As far as clothing and stuff... Well my friend. There's a TON of it here in the releases section ;) I have a 2T drive that is STUFFED full..... I need to just build a machine with 8Tb just for DAZ :ROFLMAO:
Well, i use an indoor HDRI from DeviantArt (Second Circle). It's free and works quite well as far as i can tell.
The issue usually is how to keep the vibe without adding too much light.

I use strings asset with this scene. Quite useful. Though i overdone it. To the point that the render really slowed down.
I had to figure out how to carve something out of a wall. In the end i used Blender to do it.

Here are settings i am using at the moment. I really spend some time to adjust everything possible. Like with a camera when you never shot a picture because it's always wrong.

In the end it is indeed trying and trying until you like it. Camera position matters too. I had one scene where i pointed partly to the neon light which slowed the render down for some reason.
So i am quite happy though there needs to be more improvement with my scene. The only asset (room) i used was Dirty Red Room. Old but i liked it. Though too big for my intention.

2023-01-26 16_23_22-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg 2023-01-26 16_23_43-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay.jpg