VN - Ren'Py - Artemis [v0.5.1] [digi.B]

1. 5.00 star(s)

mogwah

review of v0.2.1:

The graphics were very good (compression may have hurt some of the early darker scenes).

Facial expressions were on point and easy to read.

The writing was phenomenal. I ran the script through a spell/punctuation checker and not one error.

Dialogue between characters was fluent and easily comprehendable.

The women's bodies and overall beauty were heavenly especially their breasts which were like pillows sent to earth from the Gods themselves.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

B201T

I tried v0.2.1. I didn't like the graphics. The faces were weird, as were some of the expressions. The writing didn't pull me in, either. The dialogue was awkward. The characters' bodies seemed overly sculpted and the breasts looked hard.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

An_Able

This truly is an excellent VN. The renders are excellent, the humour is some of the best I've seen, the story has incredible emotional depth and a relatable protagonist that goes through a relatable arc.
    The girls are all fleshed out and incredibly charming, each in their own way, and of course beautifully rendered, and the author knows how to pace the story perfectly.
    Truly one of the best out there.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

Assassini

Based on the (as yet) unfinished v0.2

My usual disclaimers when writing reviews on here are that A. I am here for the "plot" not the plot and B. I am very picky with visual novels and think broadly they can be very subpar. So, take both of those into consideration for my review when thinking about this game.

Pros
    • Exceptionally high graphical fidelity – This is normally not something I really look for in my H-games. Given that some of my favourites on F95 are made with Honey Select, that much should be obvious. However, it really needs to be said about Artemis: WOW some fucking work went into the renders and design here. All the characters look incredible and the girls are both stunning and memorable.
    • Writing is amazing – Very clearly one of the big draws for Artemis is that Digi.B clearly knows how to WRITE. Dialogue is amazing, the overall premise is actually very cool and Digi.B seems to be considering some of the deeper implications of it. But on top of that it still remains fun, often is sexy and funny, and not really in danger of disappearing up its own arse.
    • Exceptional characters – To reiterate about the writing, the most outstanding thing here might actually be the main character in fact. I’m usually a proponent of having an MC that people can self-insert onto, which can often mean making them quite bland. Here, the protag is very defined and not only that is obviously very damaged. He cries, he struggles with the smallest of social interactions, basically all things which would normally have me bored to death and rolling my eyes because of how “edgy” and melodramatic it is. Except, here, it’s not only believable but also surprisingly compelling and handled with no small amount of grace. Essentially, the protagonist subverts expectations and it’s done well. The rest of the cast is also pretty compelling and interesting in their own way.
    • Sexy scenes and interactions – Despite the surprisingly heavy subject nature of the game, which hasn’t really reared its head TOO much at this point, there is also a lot of room for very sexy stuff going on. It’s early days yet so the MC hasn’t yet had a chance to bang every character, and most of the sexual stuff has been fairly tame so far. But, like I say, it’s early days, and it seems pretty clear that Digi.B has no intention of skimping on the good stuff.
    • Sense of humour - I'm editing this in after-the-fact, because I can't believe I forgot about it at the time: honestly Artemis is fucking hilarious. There are several genuine laugh-out-loud moments which fucking nailed me, and I think that in itself is a very rare achievement.
    Mehs
    • Extreme genius characters – This isn’t exactly a negative because none of the characters are exactly Mary Sues/Gary Stus. Everyone has personal flaws and failings and behave like real, emotional human beings. However, they also all, almost to a one, are extremely outrageously good at their chosen subject. From the best friend who not only can build the mechanics of a robot but is also a super low-key very famous DJ (which she isn’t interested in because she’s too modest for fame). To then the love interest who literally has developed a new version of the pill which is safer, makes women hornier and also makes their pussies taste like cinnamon and sugar (and this is someone who somehow isn’t world-famous and an overnight billionaire). Both of whom are presented as being undergraduate students or even younger. Now, to be honest, I can suspend my disbelief here because it’s fun for the fantasy (I mean, as an example, I don’t really think there are any sororities filled with Grade-A waifu material who want you to be their live-in male sex toy), but even though I can, the game is somewhat treading the line here…
    • No branching decisions – As far as I can make out, thus far with almost every decision except one, there has always been a “right” choice which will get you closer to the girl of the moment. This is not a problem for me, it still has enough interaction and I enjoy harem games where you get to bang every girl. The main thing is to not go in expecting it to be like Being A DIK where every major choice leads to two quite different situations. Of course, it’s possible that down the line I may eat my own words here and that choices made early will come back to haunt you, but we’ll have to see.
    • Kinks – So far, and with each increasing update this hasn't changed much, the H-scenes of the game have been very vanilla (with the exception of one big exhibitionism scene). They're still pretty hot and enjoyable, but as always I'd prefer to see more genuinely kinky content.
    Cons
    • Decisions made after the fact – I said that thus far the game has only been treading the line with the “extreme genius character” stuff, but this isn’t entirely true. Some off-shoots of it have come in and are very much in danger of ruining the suspension of disbelief. It’s stuff where clearly Digi.B needs a particular event to happen, and so to make it happen he’ll add in an afterthought to what has already been going on. “Undergraduate has invented a new/better birth control pill”? That’s not exciting enough. Let’s add in that it makes them taste like rainbows! “Best friend character has a robot?” That’s boring now, let’s make her actually have a BACK UP and EVEN BETTER version of the robot just waiting for the MC to make the upgrade. The whole thing smacks of one-upmanship where Digi.B seems to constantly need to “improve” what is already there and it consistently throws off the immersion when it happens. Edit: This is particularly prevalent in Chapter 3 as well.

There are a couple of really major selling points to Artemis in my mind. First-off is that very obviously Digi.B has demonstrated that they are extremely competent at writing and character design. The character writing alone probably ought to make the more serious players searching for good stories pay attention.

There’s plenty of drama and angst on display, but it’s handled in such an interesting way that even I enjoyed it. This is coming from someone where one of my biggest pet-peeves in VNs is the constant melodrama for the sake of drama, making up problems where none should really exist. Meanwhile in Artemis there is some serious personal “stakes” at play.

As an aside here as well I'd like to mention that I'm also a fan of the way the game treats the protagonist's relationship with alcohol. I've played too many games on here which treat getting drunk as something done ONLY by scumbag guys trying to hook-up with girls or by tiny girls who are incapable of knowing their limits and making a mess. It's often sort of holier-than-thou and just fucking irritates me. In Artemis, the protagonist doesn't drink but just because he doesn't drink doesn't mean he gets in the way of other characters having a nice time, which I just whole-heartedly approve of.

On the other hand though, the game still makes plenty of time for sexy times and it’s pretty clear that it will continue to do so. Like I said in my “mehs”, you actually get basically taken in by a sorority of super-hot babes, all of whom want your dick to varying degrees. So there’s that sensation of having the best of both worlds: an interesting story and then also plenty of fucking to keep Neanderthals like me happy.

It's also worth noting that the issue I had with the "extreme-genius" characters may vary from person to person. I have to admit that coming from a biological field myself that the whole "magical pill" thing really just makes me roll my eyes, but I think that in general there will need to be a moderate amount of suspension of disbelief here.

It’s only in chapter 2 at the moment, but there is also already a fairly decent amount of content, even if it is still early days in the development, both in terms of plot and the relationships.

My one real concern about the game is that it obviously intends to deal with some fairly heavy subject matter. The protagonist spent many years prior to the game seriously depressed, so there is a constant lurking threat of “mental health issues”. Also the game very clearly will be delving into AI and that might encourage some deeper ruminations on the very philosophical nature of AI (when does it count as “alive”, what if it becomes smarter than us, etc etc). All of this is something that has already been touched on and handled well-enough so far. However, I worry that with serious subject like matter like that the game might be in danger of taking itself too seriously, at which point I practically guarantee it will start grating.

At the moment I won’t rate Artemis higher than a 4/5 simply because it’s still too early to tell the sorts of directions it might go. However, I want to make it clear that I whole-heartedly recommend playing it because it has the promise to be one of the absolute all-time greats.
  5. 5.00 star(s)

_BB_

The game is only at chapter 2 by the time I am writing this review.
    This game is a gem. There is so much potential. Render and animation quality in the first chapter are just average, but they are significantly better in chapter 2. And they definitely will keep improving in the future chapters. The story is well-written, the dialogue is natural and full of humor. Characters are nicely designed and have natural facial expression and body language. Also, the interface is the coolest and most unique I have seen in any AVN, it doesn't look or feel like a RenPy's default interface, it's on a different level. Dev is definitely putting a lot of effort into this project and I'm happy to become his supporter.
    So far I love this game, can't wait to see the next chapters.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

kingc123

Played over the last two days and it's immediately my joint favourite game (alongside summer's gone). To think this is the devs first game and he isn't even full time yet is insane, so much talent. Talent means little on its own though but digi.B clearly has an excellent work ethic too. I read he averages 200 new renders a week which is way beyond most and like I said, he's not even doing this full time yet. That will soon change though as he's heading right to the top.

Everything about this game screams AAA standard. The amount of effort is clear to see, watching characters body language and facial expressions change with each new line of dialogue as if they were living, breathing people really blew me away. Most games just use one or two static renders per conversation so this level of detail deserves massive plaudits.

All the characters, including the MC, are fleshed out with distinctive personalities. The LI's are gorgeous too which certainly helps!

He's getting better and better with render and animation quality, not that they were bad to begin with. There's beautiful cinematic animations (loved the split screen one in chapter 2), creative camera angles and striking sets/backgrounds.

The dialogue feels extremely natural and the plot is genuinely engaging to the point where I'd play even if there wasn't sex involved. It's one of the funniest games I've tried but has serious moments too which are handled extremely well.

There aren't that many sex scenes yet because this game aims to have more realism than most others which I personally appreciate. The ones that are included keep getting better and better. Quality triumphs over quantity anyway. Some brilliant sexual tension is being built which I'm sure will pay off big time later on.

Overall just an excellent game, one I'll be supporting in the future.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

xxBetzalelxx

The animation and character models are absolutely amazing and the storyline is fantastic. First game in a while whose storyline has actually kept me moving forward for the story rather than for the scenes. Absolutely Phenomenal!
  8. 5.00 star(s)

MeaninglessMemories

Not gonna lie, this one grew on me. It's definitely a slow burner. there aren't too many major choices yet, and there isn't a crazy amount of H-scenes. Rather, you get some excellent character writing that's very human.

At first, I didn't know what to expect. I never really do, but I also do that thing where I don't read the description and download/read.

The MC is a dude really really down on his luck. I was sorta turned off by Cassandra at the beginning, but I began to get over that thanks to the reading experience.

Everything flows nicely, and this game uses interpersonal drama well. It's not crazy over the top, and you can understand the MC's hesitation. He's a dude who's in therapy, and needs it. So, I can't look at him and call him a big baby idiot like many other MC in media.

What's great about Artemis is that despite how serious everything is, it's still grounded with real people. there's a lot to unpack, and there's a lot of potential for some great plot elements for crazy action, but despite that, it didn't take the approach of ramming through all that immediately.

Instead, it looks like digi.B wants you to get to know everyone before real shit goes down. That way when things happen, you'll probably be further on the edge of your seat. It's also a bit more relaxing currently.

As for the MC, he's growing out of his shell slowly. Good. You can see the progress. It would be super annoying to see him constantly mopey, but he's getting there.

All the other characters so far are great. They're people with unique quirks, not none are completely made to be a trope.

Even Cassandra isn't totally insane. She's certainly not a good person, but it's not your typical bad guy who kicks children for fun. She definitely has her own motivations, even if they're twisted. A good villain will be the hero of their own story.

As for the fundamentals, Artemis has it down. The UI is sexy and unique, you can see how the phone gets solid upgrades, the menu is slick, and the music selection is pretty damn solid.

The animations are also great. I think initially, it's a little blurry, but that gets better later. IDK if they're touch up chapter 1, but chapter 2 is obviously an improvement.

There's a lot of care here, and it's easy to see how this game has 150+ reviews when it's only been two chapters.

Speaking of those two chapters, there's tons of content. Lots to read and lots to enjoy in terms of character building.

I'm not sure where it's going to go. Will it keep being a comfy story, or will it ramp up into something wild?

I don't know, but digi.B left a lot of potential on the table, and that's talent in itself.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

BayJay47

This is one of those games that you really need to read to fully enjoy. Having said that, it is 100% worth the time.

The render quality is extraordinary, as is the attention to detail. The story is well-written and properly planned. The characters evoke genuine emotions. The sex scenes are good too.

All in all I am excited for the future of this project. Could definitely be the next amazing one.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

avent0001

This is it. It has a bit of sci-fi, a bit of funny and a bit of sexy. You have a sorority at your disposal, so yea, lots of girls, all of them different in looks and personality. The characters are really good, the story is really good, this game is really good. Period.
    Play it. If youre a VN type of gamer i´m sure this one will be an instant Top 3 for you.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Shroluken

A story which goes over heartbreak, trust issues and the lot, yet always has a sort of comedic tone to it, it takes itself seriously when its needed and is light hearted when it feels like it.

Overall I found the story intriguing, it's a revenge plot yet has more emotion than the majority. The characters all feel unique and have their own flaws, same with the mc.

The graphics are a bit hit and miss in the first chapter although improve significantly in the 2nd one, it even reaches the point where I'd say it sits near the top comfortably.

If we are talking about the H-scenes, this game has some of the absolute best I've seen, in the 2nd chapter that is, didn't exactly expect that from a game this new.

It has a futuristic theme yet not completely sci-fi, all the characters look good (or really good if we are talking about the 2nd chapter)

Overall, really good game, wish the developer the best of luck and can't wait to see where the story is going.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

gamera1337

(v2.1) Excellently developed characters, especially Kindra. Humor is on point and the characters look great. Really enjoying the story thus far and the sci-fi elements too. One of the best games out there for sure.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

bucolic666

Very nice effort!

I really enjoy VNs that are heavier on the story and character development than on the wanton lust (though some of that is always welcome... ;-) ). The characters grow on you quickly and have personalities that are enjoyable and realistic. It's early going, but the story seems pretty interesting and I look forward to seeing more. The writing is great with some excellent humor and a very good amount of 'feeling'. Like very few other games out there, this one pulls you in quickly and you start caring about these characters from the get-go.

I'll be 'investing' in this one - it seems that it will be well worth it. A great effort so far, and its future looks very interesting. I hope the creators don't let the story get too convoluted, but so far, it's a winner. I'll be keenly looking forward to more from this crew. Excellent work!
  14. 3.00 star(s)

Peter the Great

I saw the reviews and checked the game out a week ago.
    the good
    - story starts off VERY good. the best
    - humor is spot on
    - most of the characters look different
    - the mc is great!

the bad
    - after the beginning, the story becomes a mess.
    - renders (the most important thing) are inconsistent. some are very good, some a VERY bad.

honestly, judging by the reviews i was expecting this to be much better. disappointed.
  15. 3.00 star(s)

CourtesyFlush

Generic Visual Novel with 'click-to-see-next-slide' gameplay (a.k.a powerpoint presentation), no dialogue options and strictly linear progression (mostly zero impact choices). Only two chapters so far - it's a mix of a corpo story and a college trope with a sci-fi blend. Starring two main girls and a couple of supporting characters. Renders seem to be inconsistent and of varying quality (some look SD while others look UHD). Adult scenes (two so far) could also be implemented much better (are all about clicking back and forth selecting mechanically from "missionary", "cowgirl", "doggy" and "cum".)
    It is a promising and ambitious project and i hope that it will be updated regularly and also will be finished in the foreseeable future.
  16. 4.00 star(s)

stewscotia

Love this so far, The sense of humor in the game is great, the girls are very beautiful. Ive played 100s of Vn's and its not very often someone comes up with something original like this. If I had the cash I would definitely support digi.B. I hope alot more content comes soon, it kinda sucked to have to wait a year for an update on content. Other than slow speed on the updates the content is top notch. (y)
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Starlight332

Bloody brilliant. Interesting story, great chracters, fantastic writing, balanced humour, nice graphics, lots of content in each chapter (took me quite a few hours despite the fact there's only tow atm). Can't wait for more.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

MichaelNash

I have played a number of these games and I have to say that this is by far one of the best.

The characters, story line, animations are really good and I was hooked almost from the first moment. Cannot wait for the next release and would highly recommend this game and anything else the developer works on as it is clear they put a lot of effort into their work.

Well done, keep it up and I look forward to all future endeavours, if I had the money to be a supporter this developer would be my number one choice.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Barry Nyle

v0.2.1

Comes right out of the gate with a really compelling storyline, well developed characters, some great humor, and some fantastic models and animation. I'm hooked already. Can't wait to see what happens in upcoming chapters.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

SpearOfReigns

Artemis is a borderline good to great visual novel so far. You can see it's being influenced by many other works on this site but it still manages to feel original. Several characters sometimes look off (especially the cop, I feel like her face changes everytime I see her) but other than that there's really no major flaw.