• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Assistance adjusting textures

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
I'm trying to remove the standard G8 female ears on a model. I've tried a few solutions now (JPG's attached for reference). Those are:
- Built-in Script for Foxy Lady and Catgirl Megapack (the ears are from here, Foxy Lady ears) ( )
This one only adjusts the skin at the base of the ears, and there's no script built for the ear patches.
- No Suit ( )
This one attaches a graft to the character as well, and I can copy some surface settings from the torso but they get messed up.
- InTheFlesh Merchant Morphs for Genesis 8 Female
This is a morph and pinches the texture of the ears down while removing the shaping. It's good, but it leaves behind a tiny copy of the ear which is not ideal. I'd like it to be smooth.

So I guess the question is, in your opinion, how else should I solve this? Ideally, I'd like to remove the ears or make them invisible so I can copy skin textures over, so it simply looks more natural. I'm trying to create a Kitsune race (nekomimi style). I'm not particularly good yet with 3d art software, but I am learning, and my ZBrush/gimp/PS skills are about at the level of drawing buff stickmen, but I am open to suggestions with that kind of software. I'd rather not try to other ear packs/morphs, really would like to use this one, as the ears are adjustable and can give extra emotional meaning for posing. Thanks for looking, cheers.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Here's a morph that removes the ears for G8F only. I've never used it myself, but it's worth a look:

• Hey there
Reactions: fooslock

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
Here's a morph that removes the ears for G8F only. I've never used it myself, but it's worth a look:

Thanks. Unfortunately, I've tried that one, too, and it has the same pinching effect, leaving behind ear artifacts like InTheFlesh does. I've also tried to adjust base textures, but I'm no digital artist, and it's clear where the area has been edited. Proving to be quite the challenge to fix this.

Reactions: MissFortune

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I dont think you can completely remove the ears since DAZ models rely on all the vertices being there for morphs and stuff. You might be able to make a morph where the whole ear is just smoothed out, and modifier the textures your using but thats easier said than done.

But I assume the character will have hair, couldn't you just use an hairstyle that covers up the small artifacts InTheFlesh morph leaves behind?

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks. Unfortunately, I've tried that one, too, and it has the same pinching effect, leaving behind ear artifacts like InTheFlesh does. I've also tried to adjust base textures, but I'm no digital artist, and it's clear where the area has been edited. Proving to be quite the challenge to fix this.
I've got no knowledge of the furry (for lack of better word, not meant to be derogatory) terminology or workings, but medium to long hair should theoretically play nicely with what you're looking to do. Unless you're looking for short hair for a specific reason.

Edit: Ninja'd.

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
I've got no knowledge of the furry (for lack of better word, not meant to be derogatory) terminology or workings, but medium to long hair should theoretically play nicely with what you're looking to do. Unless you're looking for short hair for a specific reason.

Edit: Ninja'd.
Yea, hair covers it for the most part. It just miffs me to have to work around it when it comes to posing and animation and what not. It's not full-on furry, more nekomimi (catgirl, but in this case kitsune) if we're getting into the specifics but it's whatever.

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
I dont think you can completely remove the ears since DAZ models rely on all the vertices being there for morphs and stuff. You might be able to make a morph where the whole ear is just smoothed out, and modifier the textures your using but thats easier said than done.

But I assume the character will have hair, couldn't you just use an hairstyle that covers up the small artifacts InTheFlesh morph leaves behind?
Yea the hair is an option but then I have to work around it for scenes. Seems like not a big deal at first but it's going to be a pain if I do animations with the character. I've tried dicking around with the textures but I don't quite know all the things needed to get it to look right. I tried putting grafts over it with the included ear patch and No Suit for Gf8 but again, can't get the textures right. Will have to look into what all goes into that. It doesn't need to be perfect necessarily but it has to pass a quick glance.

It would be nice if I could figure out a script like brow remover does where it takes a portion of skin and just transplants that onto the area.

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
Well, I took the time to go through the textures and learned a bit about those while I did it, and while it's not perfect, I think the finished product is good enough? Suspension of disbelief and all that if someone notices.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Well, I took the time to go through the textures and learned a bit about those while I did it, and while it's not perfect, I think the finished product is good enough? Suspension of disbelief and all that if someone notices.
No better way to learn than doing it yourself at the end of the day. :)

But yeah, unless you're zooming in on it, I doubt players/viewers will notice it with everything else going on. Just be aware that you might have to adjust it for each new character you make that needs this done on as not every figure is going to have the same skin tones/coloring.

Reactions: fooslock

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
No better way to learn than doing it yourself at the end of the day. :)
I knew that but man, really don't need to add more things to the pile lmao.

Just be aware that you might have to adjust it for each new character you make that needs this done on as not every figure is going to have the same skin tones/coloring.
Yea, I'm gonna one and done this skin texture and just adjust it a bit as needed but it's not too farfetched that people could have roughly the same skin tones living in the same geographical area under the same conditions. They'll just not break too far from the mold, ya know? Besides, I'm gonna blur extras out where needed to focus the player's attention on the right things.

Hey thanks again for trying to help out, I really appreciate it.